- Mount Carmel Academy is a private, all-girls Catholic high school for grades 8-12 in the Archdiocese of New Orleans.
- It is conducted by the Sisters of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, who have educated young ladies in New Orleans since 1833.
- The atmosphere of the school and the individual attention given to each student encourage and foster emotional maturity and spiritual development.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 1993, 1998|
|Total Students||1245 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||138 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 13|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$8,500|
|Admissions Director||Jeanne Rachuba|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Gymnastics, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Bowling,
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||46 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Academic Games, Ambassador Team, Bellas, Book Club, Bowling Team, Campus Ministry, Carmelettes, Celebration, Cheerleading, Chess Club, Chorale, Christian Life Community, Cubettes, Echoes, Eco Cubs, Encore, Entrepreneurship Club, Fitness Club, French National Honor Society, Intramural Sports Program, Junior Achievement, Key Club, Latin National Honor Society, Life Skills Club, Literary Club, Mount Carmel Cubs Against Destructive Decisions (McCADD), Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society), Multicultural Club, National Art Honor Society, National Honor Society, National Junior Art Honor Society, P.A.W.S., Quiz Bowl, Rhythm, Sailing Team, Sardonyx, Science Fiction Fantasy Club, Service Club - 8th Grade, Spanish National Honor Society, Speech and Debate Team, Spirit Club, Student Government, Teens for Lyfe, Theatre Club - STK, Tri-M Music Honor Society, WMCA Academic Games, Bellas, Book Club, Bowling Team, Carmelettes, Celebration, Cheerleading, Chess Club, Chorale, Cubettes, Echoes, Eco Cubs, Encore, Fitness Club, Key Club, Literary Club, P.A.W.S., Quiz Bowl, Rhythm, Sailing Team, Sardonyx, Spirit Club, Teens for Lyfe, WMCA, Ambassador Team,
Christian Life Community,
French National Honor Society,
Intramural Sports Program,
Latin National Honor Society,
Life Skills Club,
Mount Carmel Cubs Against Destructive Decisions (McCADD),
Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society),
National Art Honor Society,
National Honor Society,
National Junior Art Honor Society,
Science Fiction Fantasy Club,
Service Club - 8th Grade,
Spanish National Honor Society,
Speech and Debate Team,
Theatre Club - STK,
Tri-M Music Honor Society,
- A primary goal of Mount Carmel Academy is to foster the spiritual development of each student. The tradition of Carmel is one of the oldest traditions of the Catholic Church.
- Mount Carmel Academy inspires and fosters intellectual development through a challenging, traditional, 21st century college preparatory curriculum infused with technology. Critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, and communication are part of every course.
- Mount Carmel Academy has a complete guidance program with eight full-time counselors, a college scholarship coordinator, and a guidance secretary available to assist students in each grade level with issues related to academics, the college application process, the maturation process, and spirituality.
- Integration of technology across the curriculum seamlessly enhances instruction and provides feedback for improved learning. The latest Web 2.0 tools promote promotes critical-thinking, collaborative problem-solving, and decision making skills as students and teachers create, share, critique, and collaborate with one another from remote locations.
- The Phyllis M. Taylor Maker Lab, equipped with 16 MakerBot Replicator 3D printers and an engraver/laser cutter, is a creative, hands-on space where students from all academic mediums are encouraged to collaborate, innovate, and create. From art to math to science, ideas come to life and learning is enhanced by the 21st century tools available in our Maker Lab. The goal of this STREAM lab is to foster creativity, critical thinking skills, project-based learning, and problem solving so that regardless of the tools or technology, our learners will have the conceptual skills to be successful in their work.
- 97% of our graduates received merit-based scholarships and/or grants (including TOPS)
- The more than 50 clubs and activities offered enhance the Catholic formation, spirituality, and education of the classroom experience by providing opportunities on academic,religious, civic, and interscholastic levels.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
New OrleansGrades: NS-12 | 745 students
2635 State Street
New Orleans, LA 70118
New OrleansGrades: PK-12 | 629 students
6905 Chef Menteur Hwy
New Orleans, LA 70126
New OrleansGrades: 8-12 | 857 students
7701 Walmsley Ave
New Orleans, LA 70125
New OrleansGrades: PK-12 | 977 students
1903 Jefferson Ave
New Orleans, LA 70115
CovingtonGrades: 8-12 | 699 students
Po Box 1210
Covington, LA 70434