New Hope Academy
5.00 (9 reviews)
New Hope Academy Photo #2 - New Hope Academy is a richly diverse environment, racially, ethnically, and religiously. Emphasis is placed on appreciating such differences and also on experiencing one's own creative nature through the arts, music, writing, drama, and dance. Through technology, math, and science, students gain skills to navigate our world and to experience ample opportunities to explore their own talents, interests, and passions.
- New Hope Academy is a private school, fully certified by the Maryland State Department of Education as anon-public school, serving students in PreK3-12th grades. New Hope International High School draws students from throughout the world, offering an exceptionally well rounded education. New Hope has an excellent college-prep curriculum focused on English and Writing, Math, Science and Technology, but coupled with an array of creative innovative electives,including Robotics, Dance, Fitness, Acrylic Painting, International Development, Social Media, Music Composition,African American Studies, Social Media & Marketing and more. New Hope also includes grades K-8, and a fully licensed preschool program for ages 3-5 years.
- Located on an eight-acre campus in Hyattsville, Prince George's County, Maryland, (suburb of Washington, D.C.), this spacious former public school has school-wide WIFI, a computer lab, plus mobile tablet and lap top labs, projectors and Mimeo interactive boards in every classroom.
- NHA has a science lab, a Korean language studio, an art studio, library, gymnasium, and a professional quality dance studio.
- New Hope offers before and after-school care, a summer enrichment day program for PreK and early elementary-aged students, and a wide variety of extra-curricular activities including an extensive pre-professional dance program, drama, martial arts and sports. New Hope has a strong boys and girlsbasketball program. Coached by Sam Saldwell, it's varsity girls basketball team is nationally ranked, New Hope is known for its academic excellence, individualized personal attention, and supporting parents in their efforts to raise a child with strong moral values and noble character.
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||individually determined by testing|
|Total Students||223 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP English, AP US History,|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(uniform shirt and blue jeans)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||PreK-12th domestic and international student tuition ranges from $13000-$18000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,400|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Janelle Hartley|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Cheering, Dance, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Martial Arts, Soccer, Track and FieldBallet, Basketball,|
Golf, Indoor Soccer,
Martial Arts, Soccer,
Track and Field
- For comprehensive information about our school, including pictures, descriptions of programs, student projects, and more, please visit our web site at www.newhopeacademy.org.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Hyattsville Grades: NS-8 | 183 students
6801 Sheriff Road
Hyattsville, MD 20785
(301)773-4079 2.4 NS-8
- Hyattsville Grades: 7-8 | 67 students
8500 Jericho City Dr
Hyattsville, MD 20785
(301)333-9400 3.3 7-8
my daughter started t NHA in the pre-school program and is now in Kindergarten. This school is a wonderful place for children to learn and grow. It is faith based and has a wonderful staff. The student-teacher ratio is low ensuring your child gets lots of one on one attention when needed. I suggest anyone remotely interested in this great school to come in for a visit. You won't regret it!
- Posted by Parent - mom of kindergartener
New Hope Academy is a great environment for families who believe in the value of comprehensive learning and effective character building. The diverse curriculum, including , but not limited to Korean and Spanish, art, robotics, and technology.... challenges the growth of each child, nurturing them to their potential. This is a place for families that care, and that want a supportive environment for their children. Unlike any other school I have experienced.... I have received the greatest benefits by being a parent of a child who is cared for, challenged, and nurtured each day at NHA.
- Posted by Parent - MEM
This school was an answer to our family's prayers. We came here after coming to the conclusion that the public school system was not going to meet our childrens' needs in terms of individualized attention, curriculum (quality and diversity), teachers who are stakeholders in the school's success, and it might sound a little fairy-talish but I wanted to feel the "love" when I walked in the building, talked with the staff (who are not teachers), and know that my children would feel safe and loved here. I am a repeat customer of what NHA is offering and am thankful every day for what we have found.
- Posted by Parent - Family in 4th Year at NHA
We have two children currently enrolled at New Hope and have been with the school for the past 7 years. We love the nurturing environment of the school and would whole heartedly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quality education for their children. We love that our kids are exposed to both Spanish and Korean languages in addition to their academic and arts programs. What is also advantageous is that the school offers several sport, music and arts electives so that parents don't have to enroll their kids in a separate program if they don't want to. No shuttling to and from various venues! The school allows kids to learn at their own pace while at the sme time challenging them to do their best. Most importantly they are very diverse and embrace and celebrate all races and religions while no forcing any one particular one on the kids. Kids are thought to love and respect everyone.
- Posted by Parent - Salad
Children begin learning foreign languages in grade school. General music class includes instruction in recorder, trumpet, piano and guitar. There is also a wonderful art and dance/drama program. General education includes individualized reading and math. Parental involvement is encouraged and that helps me stay connected with my child's educational growth. My whole family has had a wonderful experience at this school.
- Posted by Parent - explo
Our son has been at New Hope Academy (NHA) for three years and has had a great experience academically and socially. He came to NHA in 4th grade from a Montessori school (where he also had a wonderful experience), and he transitioned well that first year, thanks to his teacher who took the time to work with him on managing his time re: his homework and studying for tests. We have learned since then that at NHA, there are teachers like this in every grade. They take a great interest in their students, they know them and their academic capabilities, and they encourage and sometimes push them to do their best. The same is true of the rest of the staff. They truly care about the students and the cool part is that it's reciprocated. Walk down the halls and you'll see that the love is there from both sides the students' and the staff's. It's a wonderful feeling to know that when you say goodbye to your child at morning drop-off, you leave knowing that they are in good hands.
- Posted by Parent - love2
We have 2 children enrolled in NHA and have been extraordinarily pleased by the education they have received. With the low student:teacher ratio, the teachers get to know each child and family in order to work together to get the best possible outcomes from each child. In speaking with other parents who have their children in various private/public school options, I feel that my children are getting a very competitive education and are thriving at New Hope.
- Posted by Parent - Aliso
I recommend NHA. My 2 sons graduated from 8th grade, attended then the science and tech program at ERHS and one now graduated this May 2013 from Cornell University with a degree in Civil Engineering and my other son is a sophomore in Mechanical Engineering at CalTech in Pasadena, Calif.
- Posted by Parent - chris
New Hope Academy has truly enabled my three children and fostered a love for learning. The teachers are nurturing. The academics are challenging. There are strong art, music and sports programs. The high school has an international component which exposes the students to various cultures.
- Posted by Parent - hdsqu
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.
Here's a recap of the steps you need to follow to find the right school for your child. Work through the process in sequence from beginning to end.
Did you think that corporal punishment in our schools was extinct? Sadly, it isn't. Here are some facts and some suggestions as to what you can do to help eliminate corporal punishment once and for all.