5.00 (1 review)
- School For Lang & Comm Development is a place of miracles for children with language and autism spectrum disorders.
- SLCD has a long and distinguished history, started in 1985 by Dr. Ellenmorris Tiegerman with 36 preschool children.
- Since then SLCD has moved three times and expanded its programs to include Middle and High School Programs in Glen Cove and Woodside.
- Dr. Tiegerman believes that children with language and autism spectrum disorders require a highly specialized language immersion program (i.e., the Tiegerman Language Method) to overcome their learning disabilities.
- Dr. Tiegerman believes that there are many generic special education programs which focus on teaching academic content.
- She believes that for children with language and autism spectrum disorders, the traditional special education techniques are not effective enough.
- SLCD's motto "Giving Our Children a Voice " reflects our goal to meet the needs of preschool and school age children with severe language and autism spectrum disorders.
- We believe that students with autism spectrum disorders have underlying language disorders.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||400 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||63 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
People that viewed School For Language & Communication Development also viewed these schools: Holy Trinity School.
My son have not been at SLCD for a year yet and I already see a change this is the school that he needed he has a totally different outlook on school. My son is in the 5th grade and has disliked school since he started until he came to SLCD. All I could say is thank you SLCD for being in my sons life.
- Posted by Parent - Linde
Nearby Homes for Sale
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?
July 11, 2017
Suggestions for the small school's IT infrastructure and services.