School For Language & Communication Development
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (516) 609-2000
- School For Lang & Comm Development is a place of miracles for children with language and autism spectrum disorders.
- SLCD has a long and distinguished history, started in 1985 by Dr. Ellenmorris Tiegerman with 36 preschool children.
- Since then SLCD has moved three times and expanded its programs to include Middle and High School Programs in Glen Cove and Woodside.
- Dr. Tiegerman believes that children with language and autism spectrum disorders require a highly specialized language immersion program (i.e., the Tiegerman Language Method) to overcome their learning disabilities.
- Dr. Tiegerman believes that there are many generic special education programs which focus on teaching academic content.
- She believes that for children with language and autism spectrum disorders, the traditional special education techniques are not effective enough.
- SLCD's motto "Giving Our Children a Voice " reflects our goal to meet the needs of preschool and school age children with severe language and autism spectrum disorders.
- We believe that students with autism spectrum disorders have underlying language disorders.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-4|
|Total Students||206 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Awesome School for children- great teachers
- Posted by Parent - Parent
My son have not been at SLCD for a year yet and I already see a change this is the school that he needed he has a totally different outlook on school. My son is in the 5th grade and has disliked school since he started until he came to SLCD. All I could say is thank you SLCD for being in my sons life.
- Posted by Parent - Linde
As the COVID-19 virus spreads throughout the United States, we look at steps schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
Raising children involves constant attention to their development and progress. Identifying learning disabilities must be part of your plan.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.