St Francis De Sales School For The Deaf
- St. Francis was started by Sr. Anne Behre on September 13, 1960 in a convent in Flushing, New York with four children.
- In 1963 the school moved to the Park Slope section of Brooklyn in order to accommodate more students.
- In 1965 St. Francis became a private state supported 4201 School, one of eleven schools serving deaf or blind students in New York State.
- In 1973 St. Francis moved to its present location on Eastern Parkway where it continues today to educate profoundly deaf children from infancy to eighth grade.
- St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf is dedicated to encouraging the maximum potential for learning in each child regardless of race, creed, color or gender.
- This education embraces the whole child-psychological, physical, social and emotional.
- St. Francis' instructional program is guided by Reuven Feuerstein's theory of Structured Cognitive Modifiability as the school implements the New York State Curricula in all academic areas.
- This theory of development describes how children develop their cognitive skills through Mediated Learning Experiences. It assists children in becoming active learners.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||92 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||17 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BrooklynGrades: K-12 | 363 students
20 Bergen Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
RooseveltGrades: NS-12 | 260 students
380 Washington Ave
Roosevelt, NY 11575
New YorkGrades: UG | 89 students
25 E 104th St
New York, NY 10029
BrooklynGrades: PK-8 | 385 students
721 Lincoln Place
Brooklyn, NY 11216
New YorkGrades: NS | 238 students
148 W 90th St
New York, NY 10024
Nearby Homes for Sale
July 25, 2017
A table comparison of the three popular early childhood education approaches.
July 25, 2017
How do I know how this school compares with the others I am considering? Has anybody ranked private schools?
July 20, 2017