St. James School
5.00 (1 review)
St. James School Photo #2 - Since its founding in 1842, Saint James School has been dedicated to inspiring students to become leaders for good in the world.
St. James School Photo #3 - The Chapel is a centerpiece of school life. Daily chapels allow for quiet reflection and a way to connect with personal spirituality.
St. James School Photo #4 - Boarding life at Saint James School prepares students for their college journey.
St. James School Photo #5 - Students serve as big brothers/big sisters, helping under formers adjust to life on campus.
St. James School Photo #6 - With an average class size of eleven students, faculty members focus their attention on the student as relationships are genuine.
St. James School Photo #7 - The Fine Arts Department is comprised of music, art, dance and theatre. The Mummers' Society has a Fall Play and a Spring Musical that are popular with the students.
St. James School Photo #8 - At Saint James, athletics are a big part of every day life as they are required of every student, but the focus is on the 'team.'
St. James School Photo #9 - Community service is an important area of learning at Saint James. Volunteering locally, nationally, and internationally with various organizations is commonplace.
- Internationally recognized as one of the best small boarding schools in the country, Saint James boasts a challenging core curriculum, preparing our students for college success, not stress. Located just 70 miles drive from the cities of Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and three international airports, our 689-acre campus is a serene home for 235 students from 18 states and 15 countries. With 95% of full-time faculty residing on campus, relationships are at the core of our community.
- Saint James is the oldest Episcopal boarding school founded on the Oxford Movement, with rich traditions dating back to 1842.
- Saint James is different than other small boarding schools in that we instill a humble confidence in our students which allows them to lead, learn, and live a life of rich experience; a large variety of interscholastic sports provides all students the benefits of athletic competition, sportsmanship, and leadership, while an impressively broad array of offerings in the Arts allow students to flex their creative muscles. Saint James School's stellar college-preparatory curriculum, with a fun social life free from cliques and where students can grow and gain an advantage, is what makes Saint James amazing.
St. James School places among the top 20% of private schools in Maryland for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Total Students||240 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||33 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Number of AP Courses||15 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, European History, French, Government, Latin, Literature, Physics B, Spanish, Studio Art, United States History|
|Average SAT score||1320|
|Average ACT score||27|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Blazer and slacks for boys; blazer and skirt or slacks for girls)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 1 / Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$30,700|
|Tuition Notes||Day student tuition: $30,700 Boarding tuition (tuition, room and board): $46,000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$20,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Benjamin H. Douglass|
|Admissions Associate||Amelia M. Fitzsimmons|
|Total Sports Offered||17 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Martial Arts, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Winter Track, WrestlingBallet, Baseball,|
Basketball, Cross Country,
Dance, Field Hockey,
Lacrosse, Martial Arts,
Weightlifting, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||37 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Alzheimer's Awareness Club, Big Sib/Little Sib, Chess Club, Creative Writing Club, Culinary Club, Dance Club, Debate Club, Game Development Club, Garden Club, Historical Society, Investment Club, Maker Club, Math Club, Model UN, Newspaper, Psychology Club, Speech and Debate, Sports Medicine Club, Student Activities Committee, Tour Guides, Vestry, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Boys' A Cappella, Chamber Orchestra, Chapel Choir, Dance, Flute Ensemble, Girls' A Cappella, Playwriting and Directing, Private Music Lessons, Stage Crew, String Ensemble, Studio Art, Theater, Wind Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Dance Team, Ski Clu
What makes Saint James different form other boarding schools
- Our challenging curriculum affords students the opportunity to explore their intellectual curiosity, becoming thinkers, rather than skimmers. At the same time, Saint James ensures their preparation for college, giving them an advantage in the college process. 100% of our classes are accelerated college prep, along with our 15 Advanced Placement offerings. On top of a full course load, students are also involved in competitive athletics, a superb fine-arts program, nationally touring choir, music ensembles, and other cultural opportunities and events.
- With 235 students, Saint James is a small community welcoming to all individuals. Here, you will find older students hanging out with younger students, day students hanging out with boarding students, and international students hanging out with domestic students, as a single cohesive community.
- With a strong, moral grounding, founded in the Oxford Movement of the Episcopal Church, Saint James students are kind and genuine. We all begin our academic day with a Chapel service and our Honor Code forms the cornerstone of trust and moral living on campus. Because of our size and culture, every student has an opportunity to be important at Saint James. Providing countless opportunities for leadership and success that are unmatched by other schools, Saint James students go to college with a true advantage.
- 689 beautiful acres set on the rolling hills of Western
Maryland afford our students with a peaceful and safe home. Located
seven miles from Antietam National Battlefield, Saint James played
an integral role in the Civil War. Our beautiful campus is only one
hour from Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and three international
School accreditations: Accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and approved by the Maryland State Board of Education.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Sandy Spring Grades: PK-12 | 603 students
16923 Norwood Road
Sandy Spring, MD 20860
(301)774-7455 49.6 PK-12
- Bethesda Grades: PK-12 | 1101 students
5100 Edgemoor Lane
Bethesda, MD 20814
(202)537-6900 54 PK-12
- Potomac Grades: 3-12 | 536 students
10400 Seven Locks Rd
Potomac, MD 20854
(301)365-4300 49.6 3-12
Saint James School challenged my son academically for the first time in his scholastic experience. Coming from a public school setting, the difference in the quality of education, the ability of the teachers to actually teach, and the community bonds that exist were all in stark contrast to what my son and daughter have experienced in public schools. Also, in a time where schools are cutting extracurricular programs, we all love that Saint James has mandatory sports, arts, and community service participation. We could not be happier with the school on every level.
- Posted by Parent - dchog
Signs that your school might be failing don't suddenly appear all at once like a flashing neon sign. Instead, they appear gradually over weeks, months, and years. We explore the warning signs and offer some suggestions to mitigate them.
The SSAT’s questions are different than questions on other standardized tests. Make sure you learn about the best SSAT test prep programs out there.
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.