St. Monica Academy
St. Monica Academy Photo #3 - In 2013, out of all 51 Catholic high schools in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, St. Monica Academy had the highest mean SAT scores in all three sections of the test: reading, writing, and math.
St. Monica Academy Photo #4 - The Cardinal Newman Society recently named St. Monica Academy to the Catholic High School Honor Roll as one of the Top 50 Catholic high schools in the nation. Only three California schools received this prestigious award.
St. Monica Academy Photo #5 - SMA's Girls Varsity Volleyball Team were CIF Southern Section Champions in 2015.
St. Monica Academy Photo #6 - SMA's Boys Varsity Baseball Team has been League Champions three times in the last four years.
St. Monica Academy Photo #7 - One of the highlights of our science curriculum is an annual field trip to Catalina Island, where biology students observe marine life while snorkeling with an expert guide.
St. Monica Academy Photo #9 - A genuine appreciation for great literature and drama (especially Shakespeare) is one of our classical curriculum's objectives.
- St. Monica Academy is an elementary school and college preparatory high school with a classical pedagogy and a classical liberal arts curriculum.
- St. Monica Academy seeks to form students in faith, reason and virtue by imparting authentic Catholic principles and by introducing young minds to classical literature and the other liberal arts.
- Teaching methods are directed toward developing memory, sound reasoning, and communication skills in keeping with the natural stages of childhood intellectual development.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Catholic and Independent Schools (NAPCIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||229 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Number of AP Courses||3 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus, Latin,|
|Average SAT score||1340|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(1-8 plaid jumpers (girls), navy pants (boys); 9-12 plaid skirts (girls), khaki pants and jackets (boys))
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 3 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$5,550|
|Tuition Notes||$5,550 for first student in family in grades 1-8 and discounts for additional students; $9,395 for high school students, with discount for additional students|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Mrs. Erin Talbot|
|Admissions Associate||Mrs. Rebecca Quackenbush|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Flag Football,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arizona Trip, Community Service Projects, Washington D.C. Trip|
Club or Organization:
Crusaders for Life, Student Council, Yearbook Staff
Arts and Music Programs:
Schola (Choir), Shakespeare Play, Spring Musical
- St. Monica Academy is a co-ed Catholic school with 255 students enrolled in Grades 1 through 12. The natural beauty of the campus, the intimate size of the classes, and the emphasis on charity contribute to a unique family-like atmosphere. Highlights of the core curriculum are poetry, classic literature, Latin, heroes of history, hands-on math and science, performances of Shakespeare and the polyphonic masters, and devotion to the liturgical calendar.
- The Cardinal Newman Society recently named St. Monica Academy to the Catholic High School Honor Roll as one of the Top 50 Catholic high schools in the nation, because of its academic excellence, Catholic identity, and civic education. St. Monica Academy is one of only three California high schools to receive this award.
- Out of 51 Catholic high schools in the Los Angeles Archdiocese, St. Monica Academy boasted the highest mean SAT scores in all three categories in 2013: Reading, Writing, and Math. The scores were as follows: Reading, 625; Writing 631; Math, 626. In the last 11 years, St. Monica students have achieved nine perfect scores of 800 on individual sections of the SAT. Three of those perfect 800s were earned in 2013.
- Graduates of St. Monica Academy are pursuing medicine, engineering, nursing, graphic design, television and film CGI, and liberal arts at colleges such as UCLA, Notre Dame, Thomas Aquinas College, the US Naval Academy, Christendom College, Catholic University of America, and Cal State San Luis Obispo.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Altadena Grades: K-8 | 221 students
1840 Lake Ave
Altadena, CA 91001
(626)797-7727 6.1 K-8
- Burbank Grades: K-8 | 311 students
3601 Scott Rd
Burbank, CA 91504
(818)504-4422 6 K-8
- La Canada Flintridge Grades: K-8 | 269 students
4524 Crown Ave
La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011
(818)790-7884 2.9 K-8
Educating a gifted child can be daunting as there is no clear roadmap for your child's education. Some thoughts and suggestions here.
Signs that your school might be failing don't suddenly appear all at once like a flashing neon sign. Instead, they appear gradually over weeks, months, and years. We explore the warning signs and offer some suggestions to mitigate them.
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.