Stephens College Childrens School
- Stephens College Children's School is a constructivist, holistic-based laboratory school community.
- It is comprised of children, families, faculty and Stephens College students.
- Collaboration with Columbia Public School educators provides the opportunity for developmentally appropriate educational experiences.
- The mission of this laboratory school throughout its history has been to provide college students opportunities for direct experiences with children, while providing community children with solid, research-based instruction by professors, college students and certified teachers.
- The school was designed to house college classrooms as well as three children's classrooms with observation booths.
- College students participate directly with the children in classroom activities on a variety of teaching levels while being supervised by professors and master teachers.
- Quality programs include half-day preschool and a new full-day preschool program, which will debut in Fall 2006.
- Both preschool programs (ages 3-5) are designed to support the whole child, including social, emotional, cognitive, academic and physical growth.
- Children are engaged in active learning experiences throughout the day.
- The preschool classrooms collaborate with Columbia Public Schools Early Childhood Special Education department, placing four children with early intervention needs in each classroom that has a maximum of 16 children.
|Total Students||98 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 19%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||25:1|
National avg.: 13:1
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- ColumbiaGrades: PK-12 | 341 students
1801 N Stadium Blvd
Columbia, MO 65202
- ColumbiaGrades: PK-9 | 61 students
1114 College Park Dr
Columbia, MO 65203
- ColumbiaGrades: NS-8 | 173 students
3300 S Providence Rd
Columbia, MO 65203
This school gives students the most amazing learning opportunities! Our child has attended her first year and we plan to have all three of our children attend this school. The elementary program is one of a kind with learning opportunities the fit every child. I couldn't imagine sending my children anywhere else.
- Posted by Parent - eawat
Our family loves SCCS. The small class sizes and high student:teacher ratio gives my daughter maximum personal attention. It's a place she's been able to thrive and prepare for kindergarten in a comfortable environment. We also love the parent community.
- Posted by Parent - megan