The Croft School: Boston
Tel: (617) 851-1594
The Croft School: Boston, a small, innovative, high-quality private school, opened in Summer 2020 in Jamaica Plain. Initially serving students in Preschool (Age 3), Pre-Kindergarten (Age 4), and Kindergarten, the school will expand by one grade level each year until becoming a Preschool through Grade 6 school.
The school is designed to serve students living in Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, other Boston neighborhoods, and surrounding towns. Building upon the foundation of the highly successful Croft School in Providence, The Croft School: Boston was opened in response to repeated requests from neighborhood-area families seeking a high quality, more affordable school that is close to home.
The Croft School: Boston places among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||52 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 28|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,890|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$6,000|
|Admissions Director||Scott Given|
- The Croft School Experience
- Rigor and Spark. We hope that boredom is the antithesis of the Croft student experience. Our goal at Croft is not simply to sustain the curiosity that many young children naturally possess when entering school. It is to brighten each child`s spark even further and enhance a child`s love for learning more and more as she or he grows older. To do so, we utilize teaching strategies that ensure that each child`s academic work is on the edge of her or his knowledge and skill level, we over-invest in connecting lessons and projects to the interests of our students, and we hire teachers who bring a natural and contagious zeal to a profession they love. We never shy away from challenging our students, helping them strengthen their core skills while also broadening and deepening their knowledge. In doing so, we are creating pathways for our children to soar academically, both within and beyond The Croft School`s classrooms.
- Student-Centeredness. The Croft School is anything but "one size fits all." We know that learning is stickier when it is relevant and connected to one`s personal experiences and interests. While we always encourage students to reach beyond the familiar and their own comfort zone, our program creates opportunities for students to dive deeply into what matters most to them. In math and literacy, we leverage small, flexible groupings to ensure that each child is receiving the right lesson at just the right time. This allows students who are able to accelerate into advanced skills to do so, while it affording students extra time and support, as needed, to master grade-level fundamentals
- Balance. We know schools that are obsessive about testing and standards. We know other schools that choose to forego explicit teaching of critical literacy, math, and other foundational skills. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful about balance: the right dose of core academic focus mixed with the right dose of other types of progressive learning, discovery, and fun! We`re often asked: Are you Montessori? Are you Waldorf? Are you traditional "Direct Instruction"? Our answer: we respect all of these program types, and employ our favorite features from each of them. But ultimately, we are a new type of educational model that transcends traditional labels. We offer a balance between structured academic time and choice-based purposeful play; a balance between academics and social-emotional learning; a balance of both active and quiet time; and a balance of both indoor and outdoor learning.
- Small, Relationship-Driven Environment. The Croft School is a small school. To us, small is a beautiful thing. Small allows school to be personal for each child, where individual students become known personally and form the nexus of each decision that our teachers make. Small ensures that students never get "lost in the crowd" and get individual attention every day. Small allows students` social development and friendships and the parent community to be thoughtfully built over time. Most importantly, perhaps, small means excellence. By focusing on the quality of our program rather than its size, we can consistently deliver on the promises we make and the high expectations we hope that families hold.Relationships matter in education between teachers and students and between teachers and parents. We are passionate about building deep, caring, and trustful relationships with our students and parents, and then working in partnership to customize the program to fit each child`s interests and needs. We hope that the bonds that are built at Croft can last a lifetime.
- Celebrating Diversity. At Croft, celebrating the diversity of our students and families is a crucial part of the learning experience. We invite students and families to share traditions they take part in at home, and view students` cultures as important sources of knowledge and expertise that they bring to our school community. We also embrace the diversity and peoples in our surrounding community through visits to local restaurants, parks, and community organizations. Finally, we help students develop an understanding of diversity in a more global sense through their classroom work. We intentionally choose curriculum materials and read aloud books that feature diverse peoples, cultures and communities around the world, and provide students opportunities to discuss and respond to these texts. In social studies, students investigate issues of global importance, and our art and music classes also feature projects and songs inspired by diverse cultures. In sum, we provide experiences that help students develop an appreciation for diversity from their earliest days at Croft.We hope that the bonds that are built at Croft can last a lifetime.
Profile last updated:
Nearby Private Schools
The nearest high school to The Croft School: Boston is British International School of Boston (0.9 miles away)
The nearest elementary school and preschool is Italian Home For Children (0.6 miles away)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Jamaica Plain Grades: NS-8 | 34 students
1125 Centre St
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
(617) 522-2221 0.6 NS-8
- Jamaica Plain Grades: PK-K | 56 students
19 Saint Joseph Street
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
(617) 522-4040 0.6 PK-K
- Jamaica Plain Grades: PK-K | 53 students
93 Sedgwick St
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
(617) 524-4881 0.8 PK-K
- Roslindale Grades: NS-PK | 87 students
25 Cummins Highway
Roslindale, MA 02131
(617) 323-5141 1 NS-PK
A search for a teaching job in the midst of a severe recession takes much longer than it does in good economic times. Here's how to handle this situation.
Marketing yourself in tough times requires attention to details. Here are some tips to help you achieve success.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.