The International School
5.00 (3 reviews)
Tel: (503) 226-2496
- For over 30 years, The International School has provided a warm, multicultural environment where children are fully immersed in Spanish, Japanese or Chinese from preschool through 5th grade.
- Its small classes and inquiry-based, International Baccalaureate curriculum enable children to acquire language and culture as they learn to pursue knowledge beyond the classroom and throughout life.
- The International School is Portland`s first International Baccalaureate elementary school.
- It was founded in 1990 and today educates over 300 students from age 3 through 5th grade.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Northwest Association of Accredited Schools
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||398 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||61 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies according to payment plan and schedule. Please see http://intlschool.org/the-value-of-tis/ for details.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,300|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jan Williams|
|Admissions Associate||Sarah Loepp|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||21 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
3rd Language Classes, Chess Club, Chinese & Spanish, circus arts, Comic Book Club, Garden Club, Girl Scouts, Mad Science, Photography, Programming Club, Spanish Homework Club, Writing Class
Arts and Music Programs:
Chinese Calligraphy, Latin Dance, Music lessons
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Kinderdance, Kindergym, Martial Arts Class, Soccer Shots, Wushu, Yoga
- Welcome to The International School. For almost three decades, we've been helping to guide and prepare today's generation of explorers for the challenges of tomorrow.
- For our children, a world of possibilities awaits. If we are to send them out to explore beyond the bounds of our neighborhoods, we must prepare them for the journey-mentally, emotionally, and linguistically. For a child capable of learning a language and absorbing a culture beyond their own will thrive anywhere they go. So we've created a school where tomorrow`s young explorers can be immersed in a language and comprehend a culture unlike their own.
- But we didn't stop there. Exploration, leadership, and distinction require more than language proficiency. They require skill and an inclination to think critically, make connections, and challenge oneself to continually do better. So we chose a curriculum and recruited teachers that help young minds do just that.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: NS-12 | 773 students
8825 SW Barnes Road
Portland, OR 97225
(503) 297-1894 4.5 NS-12
- Portland Grades: PK-6 | 186 students
11065 NW Crystal Creek Ln
Portland, OR 97229
(503) 439-1597 6.2 PK-6
- Tualatin Grades: K-8 | 172 students
4201 SW Borland Rd
Tualatin, OR 97062
(503) 638-6399 9.2 K-8
- Portland Grades: PK-8 | 263 students
3030 SW 2nd Ave
Portland, OR 97201
(503) 245-1477 0.4 PK-8
When looking for an elementary school, we toured many schools and spoke to as many teachers as we could. My partner and I were blown away by the kids and teachers at 'Tis. Our child showed no interest in learning a language so we were concerned about our child's transition but we could not have been more pleasantly surprised with how it went. Thank you 'Tis teachers and staff we are looking forward to the next 5 years!
- Posted by Parent - parentof2
My daughter has attended TIS for three years, Low-K through 1st grade in Spanish. We definitely plan to keep her there through 5th grade. The teachers and staff are all very nurturing, which is the main criterion we wanted from an early learning school. The curriculum is outstanding both the language-based and the English, and the kids also get excellent art, music and PE instruction as well. We`ve been very happy with TIS; my only complaint is that parking and driving in and out of the location can be quite challenging.
- Posted by Parent - Jake K
TIS is unique in the Portland area for having 3 immersion languages and IBPYP. In fact, it is one of a handful of immersion private schools in the US to offer PYP. The teachers in the languages are all native speakers, so our child has been exposed to several different cultures and dialects and her Spanish is so authentic that native speakers are surprised to learn she lives with two non-speakers. The academics are excellent, with teachers emphasizing STEM through projects and interactive education. Their commitment to diversity and inclusion is important, although limited by Portland demographics, and the Learner Profiles and teachers emphasize cultural diversity through the units of inquiry, field trips, guest speakers and homework assignments. As an institution TIS impresses me most with its commitment to visibility and communication with parents. When a new situation or problem arises, the administration does not ignore it or pretend to have all the answers; they acknowledge the issue, gather community input, and formulate a plan that can accommodate the faculty, families and community while remaining true to the schools' values.
- Posted by Parent - labmom
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.