Units of inquiry are built on real-world lessons in science, social studies, math, language and the arts.
Technology enhances learning, helping to provide individual challenges and support for all students.
- At The International School, children acquirelanguage and culture as they learn to pursueknowledge throughout life. Full language immersion in Chinese, Spanish, orJapanese
- Inquiry-based, International Baccalaureate approach Experienced, caring teachers who are experts in early childhood and elementary education
- Small class sizes Engaging art, music, and PE classes Now celebrating our 26th year!
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Northwest Association of Accredited Schools
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||448 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||61 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies according to payment plan and schedule. Please see http://intlschool.org/tuition/ for details|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,070|
|Admissions Director||Jan Williams|
|Admissions Associate||Katharine Simons|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Cross Country, Dance, GymnasticsCross Country, Dance,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||23 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||3rd Language Classes, Chinese & Spanish, Chess Club, Chinese Art School, Chinese Calligraphy, Chinese Choir, Chinese Dance Troupe, Chinese Homework Club, Drawing Club, Girl Scouts, Go! Game Club, Kinderdance, Kindergym, Latin Dance, Mad Science, Martial Arts Class, Music lessons, Programming Club, Recorder Karate Club, Soccer Shots, Spanish Homework Club, Writing Class, Wushu, Yoga Chess Club, Chinese Choir, Drawing Club, Girl Scouts, Go! Game Club, Kinderdance, Kindergym, Latin Dance, Mad Science, Music lessons, Soccer Shots, Writing Class, Wushu, Yoga, 3rd Language Classes, Chinese & Spanish,
Chinese Art School,
Chinese Dance Troupe,
Chinese Homework Club,
Martial Arts Class,
Recorder Karate Club,
Spanish Homework Club,
- At The International School, children acquire language and culture as they learn to pursue knowledge beyond the classroom and throughout life. Students are immersed in Spanish, Japanese or Chinese while receiving a comprehensive education through our inquiry-based International Baccalaureate curriculum. Rather than working through a standard lesson and memorizing facts, students explore central themes and develop their own questions as they apply concepts and skills from a variety of subjects. Through this collaborative, constructivist approach, children gain deep understanding and learn the skills needed to acquire, organize, and communicate knowledge both in English and in fluent Chinese, Spanish, or Japanese. The International School`s small classes and international faculty provide a warm, multicultural environment that engages students in math, science, social studies and arts. Now celebrating our 26th Anniversary, we educate nearly 500 students in preschool through 5th grade. Students may start in preschool or kindergarten without prior target language experience.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PortlandGrades: PK-12 | 756 students
8825 SW Barnes Road
Portland, OR 97225
TualatinGrades: K-8 | 172 students
4201 SW Borland Rd
Tualatin, OR 97062
PortlandGrades: PK-12 | 858 students
6300 SW Nicol Road
Portland, OR 97223
Lake OswegoGrades: K-6 | 150 students
2 SW Touchstone Dr
Lake Oswego, OR 97035
CorneliusGrades: PK-8 | 150 students
4221 Sw Golf Course Rd
Cornelius, OR 97113
We love The International School! The teachers go out of their way to build positive, strong relationships with their students. The language immersion has been fantastic--after several weeks, my son is speaking and understanding a phenomenal amount of Spanish. The IB program has been incredibly motivating and rewarding for my son; he LOVES going to school. He raves about the PE, music, art, and library teachers, who he visits weekly. A vibrant community, with opportunities to do community service on days off. After visiting several competitive private schools in the area, we could not be happier, nor feel more grateful, to be at The International School!
- Posted by Parent - saram
April 25, 2017
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
April 25, 2017
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.
April 25, 2017
School uniforms are largely found at religious, parochial and military schools. Dress codes have replaced uniforms at most schools.