The Laureate School
5.00 (6 reviews)
- The Laureate School offers an inquiry-based, engaging education that develops critical thinking and motivates students for academic and personal success.
- Differentiated learning meets the needs of gifted and advanced students as well as those needing additional support.
- A strong schoolwide Character Program builds Stewards, Citizens, and Leaders for a global 21st century, and is enriched through its international students.
- Nestled at the foot of Bishop's Peak on a safe and beautiful 10-acre campus, The Laureate School environment is friendly and nurturing.
- The Laureate School is the only school in San Luis Obispo County ranked among top private schools nationwide.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||All/Dyslexia, Autism, Mild to severe learning differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995|
|Total Students||165 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||17 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||18 courses|
|Average SAT score||1200|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Spirit Wear Fridays (School-logo - or school color - T)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$8,000|
|Tuition Notes||K-5 $7000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Diana Garrett|
|Admissions Associate||Tracie Soriano|
|Total Sports Offered||19 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Archery, Ballet, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Drill Team, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Martial Arts, Mountaineering, Paddle Tennis, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, VolleyballAlpine Skiing, Archery,|
Drill Team, Golf,
Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer,
Martial Arts, Mountaineering,
Paddle Tennis, Snowboarding,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Arts and Music Programs:
- Small classes that support differentiated learning, collaboration, and critical thinking.
- Leveled-reading and literacy groups promote comprehension and analysis skills while nurturing life-long readers.
- Project-based learning provides relevance and engaged learning.
- Everyday Mathematics in grades K-12 develops deep conceptual understanding of mathematics and a firm foundation for PreAlgebra beginning in grade 6.
- Mac Technology Lab and classroom PC platform within a unique Digital Literacy Curriculum based on International Technology Standards.
- Spanish, Mandarin,music, art, PE, and LifeLab taught by specialty teachers.
- High School golf, tennis, swimming.
- High School Integrated Science and Literature classes aligned for High School honors classes.
- High School math and Spanish progressions prepare students for advanced course placement.
- School-wide Character Education program and Positive Behavior Support.
- Curriculum-enriching field trips focus on History and Social Studies, Science, and Visual and Performing Arts.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Luis Obispo Grades: PK-6 | 97 students
4200 S Higuera St
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
(805)544-6691 3.5 PK-6
- Arroyo Grande Grades: PK-8 | 319 students
900 W Branch St
Arroyo Grande, CA 93420
(805)489-1210 12.9 PK-8
My girls have been attending The Laureate for 2 years (one in Prek and the other in Kinder). Both children have transformed from kids who expected everything to be done for them into fully functional confident doers. These are now kids who wake up, get dressed, brush their teeth and make their beds. I don't have a single friends whose children are in preschool or public kindergarten that have mornings like mine. Academically the kids at The Laureate are extremely articulate, is taking place in the school talent show and science fair. It wouldn't be right for me to keep The Laureate a secret, inquire about the school you will not regret it.
- Posted by Parent - mhans
The new Headmaster is on the ball and has some excellent programs running. It is known in the community that there were some owner related problems a couple of years ago but that is behind us and is not even a topic for conversation any longer. Things are going well and the school is progressing with the changes made by the new headmaster. The teachers are good and very vested in the children's well being and education. My children have been there for 9 years. They started in toddler room (where they potty train them for you), then to preschool. One stayed in PK then went to first grade. The other went to kindergarten then first grade. The school offers PE, Music, Spanish, Mandarin, Art, Everyday Math, Life Lab, Science, Character Counts, Drama, etc. If your child excels in one area, they can easily move them to a more advanced level for that subject.
- Posted by Parent - susie
We love the Laureate School! It has been a great place for our son for 8 years. New head master is very professional and knowledgeable; teachers are excellent and very involved.The Laureate school has the highest quality of education in San Luis Obispo.
- Posted by Parent - betch
Both of my children are very happy at the Laureate. Each one has received the individualized attention you can only receive at a private school, and is thriving from that attention. They are able to work ahead of their classes in subjects they excel at, and stay with their class the remainder of the time. The new head of school has done an excellent job at re-organizing the learning priorities of the school, and significantly advanced the languages program. With the better management at the top, the school is getting better all the time. I look forward to my children remaining and excelling with the technology tools available, and the individualized attention.
- Posted by Parent - kayak
We have been very happy with the preschool. It is a very nurturing environment and they do a great job of teaching and modeling respect, responsibility, calmness.
- Posted by Parent - gregs
The very small class size, individualized attention and flexibility in class assignments are exactly what our son needs. New headmaster is excellent; teachers are highly motivated and enthusiastic. I am so impressed by the quality of the education!
- Posted by Parent - alan
Every private school parent is encouraged to help the school in whatever way he can. Here are some things you can do to make a contribution to your school.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.