The Maine Girls' Academy
- Located in Portland, The Maine Girls' Academy (MGA) is Maine`s only private, single-sex secondary school.
- An independent, all-girls school, The Maine Girls` Academy educates and empowers girls to be confident thinkers, compassionate leaders, and purposeful change makers-women who will change the world.
- MGA offers an innovative and rigorous program of study and holistic experience-fostering growth and development in mind, body, and spirit with signature threads of Leadership, Global Citizenship and E-STEAM (ethics- and arts-infused STEM curriculum).
- The Maine Girls' Academy is accredited by the New England Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges and the State of Maine Department of Education.
- Readers of Down East Magazine have recognized the school`s academic excellence by naming it Maine`s "Best Private School" in 2015, 2016 and 2017 affirming a vote of confidence in the school`s programming and work.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Girls|
National Independent Private Schools Association
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||98 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 9%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||17 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||7 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Uniform basics include our signature plaid skirt and a polo shirt.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,250|
|Tuition Notes||There is a student activity fee of $330, and students are responsible to purchase uniforms and books. For international students, there is an additional $3,485 fee.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,500|
|Admissions Director||Candace Anderson-Ek|
|Admissions Associate||Laura Genese|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBasketball, Cheering,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Book Club, Civil Rights Club, GSTA, Interfaith Fellowship, International Club, Key Club, Math Team, Mock Trial, Model UN, Student Council, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Chorus, Drama/Theate
- The Maine Girls` Academy blends innovation with the best of tradition and bases its programming on the most recent research about how girls learn, develop and thrive.
- Our students have become leaders in their community and in the world through a rigorous and interdisciplinary program of studyfostering growth and development in mind, body, and spirit. Academy students from all over Maine and around the world have a continued history of 100% college acceptance, Advanced Placement, National Merit and U.S. Presidential Scholars. In addition to its dedication to academic excellence, MGA is also committed to delivering a dynamic experience for students through its commitment to the arts, athletics and service leadership.
- With an average class size of 13, a 1:6 teacher to student ratio, flexible course planning, partnerships with Virtual High School and local Universities and dozens of opportunities for girls to excel beyond our school walls, there is no denying The Academy Advantage.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- PortlandGrades: NS | 231 students
899 Riverside Street
Portland, ME 04103
- PortlandGrades: PK-8 | 342 students
695 Stevens Ave
Portland, ME 04103
- Cape ElizabethGrades: 3-12 | 27 students
126 Spurwink Ave
Cape Elizabeth, ME 04107
- Cumberland ForesideGrades: PK-8 | 82 students
11 U.S. Route One
Cumberland Foreside, ME 04110
- PortlandGrades: PK-8 | 129 students
856 Brighton Ave
Portland, ME 04102