The Sacred Heart School of Glyndon
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (410) 833-0857
- The Sacred Heart School of Glyndon is a co-educational Catholic parish school dedicated to academic excellence, faith formation and service to others.
- Our fundamental mission is to create moral leaders for the future.
- Using the message of the Gospels as a guide, we have created a warm, welcoming, Christian environment that encourages rigorous academics and enriching extracurricular activities and service opportunities. The message of Christ is central to all that we do at Sacred Heart School. We live our mission by fostering each child's intellectual, spiritual, emotional, social, and physical development, instilling a deep love and respect for God, for the Church, and for all people.
- We dedicate ourselves to celebrating what is good in each and every child.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||471 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 32%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||31 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||25 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,750|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition for parishioners who consistently use parish envelopes. $9,750 for non-parishioners|
|Admissions Director||Georgeann Gurkovich|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, SoccerBasketball, Soccer,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Beads of Strength Rosary Club, Chess Club (Grades K-8), Prayer Shawl Ministry, STEM for Boys/STEM for Girls (Grades 6-8), Youth Ministry
Arts and Music Programs:
Instrumental Music (Grades 4-8), Intermediate and Middle School Choir (Grades 4-8), Liturgical Dance
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Sacred Heart Athletic Association Basketball (Grades 4-8), Sacred Heart Athletic Association Soccer (Grades K-8)
- The Sacred Heart School of Glyndon is a co-educational Catholic parish school for Pre-K to Grade 8. Nestled on a beautiful campus in historic Glyndon, Maryland, Sacred Heart is fully accredited by the Southern Association of College and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACSCASI) and is a member school of the Archdiocese of Baltimore. Our teachers are certified by the Maryland State Department of Education, and our holistic approach to education--nurturing each student's academic, spiritual, physical and psychological growth, with respect to individual needs, talents, and abilities--has ensured that many of our graduating students often advance to some of the area's best and most challenging schools. Many of our students receive academic scholarships and grants to these Catholic and private high schools. Our school and faith community is dedicated to providing a Christ-centered foundation that prepares our children to be lifelong learners, committed citizens and moral leaders. By nurturing each student's God-given talents in a safe, supportive, positive, respectful environment, we uphold our sacred responsibility, in partnership with parents and families, to develop young men and women with strong Catholic-Christian morals, values, and beliefs.
- Challenging Academics, A Supportive Environment
- We are committed to promoting high standards for academic achievement and conduct, even as we focus on strong spirituality and faith development.
- -Reading/Language Arts
- -Math (Algebra and Geometry)
- -Social Studies
- In addition, our well-rounded curriculum features instruction in these specialty areas:
- -Phys Ed
- -Spanish and French
- Phonics and handwriting are taught as part of our early educational curriculum; these are foundational to speech development, reading, and reading comprehension and essential for academic success.
- Faith Formation & Spiritual Development
- -Students attend mass monthly and on all religious holidays
- -Each day opens and closes with a daily prayer
- -Recitation of the rosary as a school community takes place regularly
- -Our students participate in service projects throughout the year to support worthy community and affiliated organizations
- Faith-based extracurricular activities include:
- -Prayer Shawl Ministry
- -Liturgical Dance
- -Prayer Partner Program (Our older students mentor our younger students by modeling Christian behavior, sitting together during school masses)
- -Beads of Strength Rosary Club
- Extra-curricular Activities for All-Around Learning
- We seek to develop the talents of each child, to enable all students to live and serve to their best potential. With this in mind, we offer a range of activities that includes:
- -Active Youth Ministry, with social and spiritual growth opportunities
- -Instrumental Music (Grades 4-8)
- -Beginning and Intermediate Choir (Grades 4-8)
- -STEM for Boys & STEM for Girls (Grades 6-8)
- -Beads of Strength Rosary Club (Grades 6-8)
- -Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts/Brownies
- -Chess Club (Grades K-8)
- -Sacred Heart Athletic Association Soccer (Grades K-8) and Basketball (Grades 4-8)
- Experienced and Dedicated Faculty & Teachers
- -Full- and part-time teachers & specialists: 31
- -Instructional Assistants: 9
- Specialty teachers include: Math resource teacher, reading specialist, guidance counselor, in addition to those teaching the specialty curriculum noted above.
- Specialty Staff, for Individualized Learning & Support
- -Our staff guidance counselor provides support and resources to help children who are coping with difficult emotional issues.
- -Our on-site reading specialist offers extra support to students in reading and vocabulary.
- -Our resource specialists provide individualized instruction in the full range of subjects, to support each child as needed.
- -Our teaching assistants in Grades Pre-K -3 provide additional teaching support and individualized attention to benefit our youngest learners.
- A Clean, Spacious, Welcoming-and Advanced-Facility
- -Bright, well-maintained classrooms
- -Music Room
- -Large Gymnasium/Auditorium
- -Art Room
- -Library/Media Center
- -Cafeteria and Hot Lunch Program
- -Athletic Fields and Playground
- -Separate Middle-School Wing
- Additional Advanced Technology
- -SMART Boards for all levels
- -Internet access in all classrooms
- -State-of-the-art Middle School Science Lab
- -Computer Lab, featuring 30 new computers
- -Closed-circuit television studio and classroom network
- -Students in Grades 4-8 are assigned their chromebook/1:1 device
- Class Size
- -On average, our classes consist of 25 students (Grades 1-8) and 20 students (Kindergarten).
- -The teacher-to-student ratio (including resource teachers and teaching assistants) is 1:10 for Pre-K and Kindergarten and 1:12 for elementary and middle school.
- Convenient Care: Before- and After-School Program
- ABC Care, a leader in school-age childcare, is on-premises, utilizing the school`s spacious gym, cafeteria and playground to support an active and engaging program for our children who need care that extends beyond the school day. The program opens at 6:30 a.m. and students must be picked up by 6 p.m. ABC Care also offers full-day care on selected days when school is closed. For additional information, call 410-751-3700.
- Health Care
- We have a full-time nurse on staff, equipped to deal with healthcare emergencies, food allergies, illness, and any chronic or medical condition-for your child`s health and your peace of mind.
- Hot Lunch Program
- Our cafeteria serves a hot, nutritious lunch option, and an array of snacks. Our flexible purchase program allows students to pick and choose which meals to purchase or to pre-purchase meals in advance, by the week or month.
- All Sacred Heart students are required to wear a standard uniform. From October 1-April 30, girls wear a white blouse and either a jumper (Grades 1-5) or skirt (Grades 6-8). Boys wear a school polo shirt and navy pants (Grades 1-5) or a white shirt and tie and khakis (Grades 6-8). All students must wear appropriate black, brown or saddle shoes. On gym days and during warmer weather (August-September and May-June, excluding Mass days) students may wear their gym uniforms: SHS t-shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes. Our Kindergarten students wear white school polo shirts, to distinguish our youngest learners.
- The Sacred Heart School of Glyndon is accepting new students. For enrollment information, please contact Mrs. Gurkovich at email@example.com or call our Enrollment Office at 410-833-0857. Visit shgschool.org for additional information about Sacred Heart, andto apply online. Find us on Facebook: facebook.com/SacredHeartSchoolGlyndonMd.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Baltimore Grades: PK-12 | 620 students
5204 Roland Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21210
(443) 934-3896 12.6 PK-12
- Owings Mills Grades: PK-12 | 1357 students
8600 Mcdonogh Rd
Owings Mills, MD 21117
(443) 544-7071 6.2 PK-12
Loving teachers and adminstration that go out of their way to make sure your child receives an excellent education. Families are accepting and helpful. Between the school and the parish, there is always something happening, so you can feel involved.
- Posted by Parent - lmste
Sacred Heart has an excellent acedemic program and very good non-academic programs. Local Catholic high schools consistently compete for SH grads.
- Posted by Parent - hmcgi
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?