Grades: PK-12 | 593 students
Berwick Academy is Maine's oldest, independent Pre-K through Post Graduate private school.
Our community is dynamic, offering challenging academics, competitive athletics, and creative arts programs.
Members of the community operate within a context of caring and respect as we pursue our quest for "useful knowledge" as "one school with three divisions." Students and faculty are encouraged to expand their horizons by balancing academics with athletic, dramatic, and musical options.
The goal of "giving one's best" is at the core of our mission.
Whether the challenge is found in the classroom, on stage, or on the playing field, the Berwick community joins together in preparing students to become valuable contributors for future years.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||593 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 10%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||68 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|Average SAT score||1832|
|Average ACT score||26|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(collared shirts, no jeans, modest attire for girls)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$32,950|
|Tuition Notes||Upper School tuition is $32,950|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Andrew Bishop|
|Admissions Associate||Molly Gabarro (Upper School)|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, TennisBallet, Baseball,
Cross Country, Dance,
Field Hockey, Golf,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Dance, Gay Straight Alliance, Literary Magazine, Lower School Music Classes, Math Team, Middle School African Drumming, Middle School Chorus, Middle School Jazz Band, Mock Trial, Model United Nations, Student Government, Upper School Band, Upper School Choir, Upper School Jazz Ensemble Dance, Math Team, Mock Trial, Gay Straight Alliance,
Lower School Music Classes,
Middle School African Drumming,
Middle School Chorus,
Middle School Jazz Band,
Model United Nations,
Upper School Band,
Upper School Choir,
Upper School Jazz Ensemble,
- Berwick Academy Core Values:
- Berwick Academy constituents participate in a quest for balance that fundamentally defines our sense of community. We exist in a spiraling cycle of discovery, self-reflection, and growth. While each community member`s individualized journey towards this value is a personal work in progress, we share a common appreciation of the tensions that exist within our definition of this ideal.
- Stretching through Engagement:
- Berwick assumes that we all benefit from personal exploration, taking considered risks and genuinely diving into new endeavors. Community members are expected to stretch themselves in a myriad of ways.
- A Community of Excellence:
- "Community" and "Excellence" are two of the most cherished principles at Berwick Academy. Academic excellence is central to the Berwick experience, but our community of high standards expects all constituents to be in a process of striving for their personal best in all areas of school life.
- Commitment to Integrity:
- Being a member of the Berwick community requires a deeply held commitment to being a person of character and to continually refining one`s ethical understanding of the world.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PortsmouthGrades: PK-8 | 173 students
125 Austin St
Portsmouth, NH 03801
DoverGrades: PK-8 | 368 students
222 Central Ave
Dover, NH 03820
BoxfordGrades: NS-5 | 23 students
Po Box 223
Boxford, MA 01921
ManchesterGrades: PK-8 | 374 students
One Brookwood Road
Manchester, MA 01944