Top Maine Private Schools
- For the 2018-19 school year, there are 170 top private schools in Maine, serving 18,003 students.
- The average private school tuition is $8,130 for elementary schools and $28,900 for high schools (view national tuition averages).
- The average acceptance rate is 78% (view national acceptance rates).
- Minority enrollment is 11% and the student:teacher ratio is 8:1.
Thornton Academy Photo - Thornton Academy has a brand new Arts & New Media Center where computer programming, digital arts, 3-D Imaging, and movie/TV production.
John Bapst Memorial High School Photo - John Bapst offers an Accelerated English Program for International Students, which prepares non-native speakers for the same college entrance examinations - the SAT and AP exams - that American students take. Program participants take English and social science classes alongside American students. They also attend a second class daily in vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation and receive help in specific class content areas. The John Bapst English Pledge, which applies during the school day and to television and movies on the weekends, is considered important to the student's overall language improvement.
Riley School Photo - Lower school children take turns trying kayaking in the stream on Riley Campus under the watchful eye of the Lower school teacher.
Deer Pond Edu-Care, Inc. Photo - Waiting for the bus. Before and after school for Hollis and Waterboro Elementary schools.
The New School Photo - The New School is a small, independent high school serving southern Maine and NH. Visit our website to learn about more our innovative approach and why it is unique among high schools in Maine!
French School of Maine - L'Ecole Francaise du Maine Photo - Fostering independence and self-discovery through the exchange of language, culture and ideas
Lee Academy Photo - Lee Academy, a respected boarding program has hosted students from 16 states, seven Asian countries, five Central American/Caribbean countries, 10 European countries, Australia, Israel and Canada.
Top Maine Private Schools by County (2018-19)
- County# Schools# Students% Minority
- 11 Schools1,036 Students9% Minority
- 5 Schools303 Students5% Minority
- 46 Schools4,356 Students9% Minority
- 1 Schools63 Students2% Minority
- 7 Schools537 Students9% Minority
- 12 Schools1,697 Students7% Minority
- 8 Schools375 Students27% Minority
- 10 Schools980 Students11% Minority
- 12 Schools1,311 Students15% Minority
- 17 Schools1,812 Students13% Minority
- 1 Schools427 Students- Minority
- 4 Schools250 Students27% Minority
- 8 Schools736 Students18% Minority
- 4 Schools93 Students6% Minority
- 2 Schools511 Students22% Minority
- 22 Schools3,592 Students6% Minority
Choosing a college is one of the rituals every family with a junior in private school needs to cope with. These five metrics will give you an overview of the process.
A long summer break offers plenty of time for a wide range of activities for every age group. Here are some of the options available.
Educating a gifted child can be daunting as there is no clear roadmap for your child's education. Some thoughts and suggestions here.