Maine Private Schools
- There are 165 private schools in Maine, serving 17,903 students.
- The average private school tuition is $7,530 for elementary schools and $26,906 for high schools (view national tuition averages).
- The average acceptance rate is 79% (view national acceptance rates).
- Minority enrollment is 9% and the student:teacher ratio is 8:1.
John Bapst offers an Accelerated English Program for International Students, which prepares non-native speakers for the same college entrance examinations - the SAT and AP exams - that American students take. Program participants take English and social science classes alongside American students. They also attend a second class daily in vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation and receive help in specific class content areas. The John Bapst English Pledge, which applies during the school day and to television and movies on the weekends, is considered important to the student's overall language improvement.
Ashwood Waldorf School's new grade school building finished in fall of 2009. Photo by Douglas Mott Photographer.
Mount Merici Academy, an Ursuline school, is dedicated to nurturing the whole child- mind, body, and spirit- providing love and guidance so that students can achieve their personal best.In partnership with families, our mission is to instill values of respect, responsibility and self-discipline, teaching students in the Ursuline Serviam tradition of service to our community and the world.
The New School is a small, independent high school serving southern Maine and NH. Visit our website to learn about more our innovative approach and why it is unique among high schools in Maine!
Eathan O'Bryant of the Harlem Globetrotters visited PCS in March 2009 to present the 'C.H.E.E.R. for Character' program. It stood for 'Character, Healthy Mind & Body, Enthusiasm, Effort, Responsibility.'
Our custom built school features lots of natural lighting! One great room for lots of multigrade interactions along with 3 separate classrooms.
Maine Private Schools by County
- County# Schools# Students% Minority
- 11 Schools1,025 Students4% Minority
- 5 Schools332 Students12% Minority
- 44 Schools4,246 Students9% Minority
- 1 Schools85 Students- Minority
- 7 Schools574 Students3% Minority
- 12 Schools1,729 Students5% Minority
- 8 Schools369 Students2% Minority
- 9 Schools933 Students6% Minority
- 11 Schools1,313 Students12% Minority
- 17 Schools1,809 Students23% Minority
- 1 Schools427 Students21% Minority
- 4 Schools273 Students16% Minority
- 7 Schools725 Students6% Minority
- 4 Schools79 Students5% Minority
- 2 Schools480 Students13% Minority
- 22 Schools3,534 Students5% Minority
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.
September 29, 2017
Here are a dozen or so girls' schools' public thoughts about themselves and their missions.