Top Maine Private Schools
- For the 2019-20 school year, there are 165 top private schools in Maine, serving 17,504 students.
- The average private school tuition is $7,987 for elementary schools and $30,296 for high schools (view national tuition averages).
- The average acceptance rate is 77% (view national acceptance rates).
- Minority enrollment is 11% and the student:teacher ratio is 8:1.
Thornton Academy Photo - Thornton Academy has a brand new Arts & New Media Center where computer programming, digital arts, 3-D Imaging, and movie/TV production.
School Around Us Photo - Small class sizes and a nurturing environment help children at School Around Us become their best selves academically, socially and emotionally.
Riley School Photo - Lower school children take turns trying kayaking in the stream on Riley Campus under the watchful eye of the Lower school teacher.
Lee Academy Photo - Lee Academy, a respected boarding program has hosted students from 16 states, seven Asian countries, five Central American/Caribbean countries, 10 European countries, Australia, Israel and Canada.
The New School Photo - The New School is a small, independent high school serving southern Maine and NH. Visit our website to learn about more our innovative approach and why it is unique among high schools in Maine!
Boxberry School Photo - Our custom built school features lots of natural lighting! One great room for lots of multigrade interactions along with 3 separate classrooms.
Juniper Hill School for Place-Based Education Photo - Juniper Hill School for Place-Based Education in Alna, ME.
Penobscot Christian School Photo - Eathan O'Bryant of the Harlem Globetrotters visited PCS in March 2009 to present the "C.H.E.E.R. for Character" program. It stood for "Character, Healthy Mind & Body, Enthusiasm, Effort, Responsibility."
Top Maine Private Schools by County (2019-20)
- County# Schools# Students% Minority
- 11 Schools1,029 Students9% Minority
- 5 Schools303 Students5% Minority
- 44 Schools4,110 Students9% Minority
- 1 Schools63 Students2% Minority
- 7 Schools537 Students9% Minority
- 12 Schools1,697 Students7% Minority
- 8 Schools375 Students27% Minority
- 10 Schools980 Students11% Minority
- 12 Schools1,269 Students15% Minority
- 17 Schools1,812 Students13% Minority
- 1 Schools427 Students- Minority
- 4 Schools256 Students27% Minority
- 8 Schools736 Students18% Minority
- 4 Schools93 Students6% Minority
- 2 Schools511 Students22% Minority
- 22 Schools3,592 Students6% Minority
Teaching gifted children requires deft handling. These children need intellectual and sensory stimulation. But they also need guidance and careful nurturing so that they grow up handling their special gifts and themselves appropriately.
Strategic planning is a disciplined effort to produce fundamental decisions and actions that shape and guide what an organization is, what it does, and why it does it, with a focus on the future.
Getting your child into a competitive school is a tough assignment. Don't let the many challenges overwhelm you. There is a simple solution.