Top Maine Private Schools
- For the 2019-20 school year, there are 167 top private schools in Maine, serving 17,630 students.
- The average private school tuition is $7,947 for elementary schools and $30,239 for high schools (view national tuition averages).
- The average acceptance rate is 77% (view national acceptance rates).
- Minority enrollment is 11% and the student:teacher ratio is 8:1.
Thornton Academy Photo - Thornton Academy has a brand new Arts & New Media Center where computer programming, digital arts, 3-D Imaging, and movie/TV production.
French School of Maine - L'Ecole Francaise du Maine Photo - Fostering independence and self-discovery through the exchange of language, culture and ideas
The New School Photo - The New School is a small, independent high school serving southern Maine and NH. Visit our website to learn about more our innovative approach and why it is unique among high schools in Maine!
Boxberry School Photo - Our custom built school features lots of natural lighting! One great room for lots of multigrade interactions along with 3 separate classrooms.
Riley School Photo - Lower school children take turns trying kayaking in the stream on Riley Campus under the watchful eye of the Lower school teacher.
Deer Pond Edu-Care, Inc. Photo - Waiting for the bus. Before and after school for Hollis and Waterboro Elementary schools.
Juniper Hill School for Place-Based Education Photo - Juniper Hill School for Place-Based Education in Alna, ME.
School Around Us Photo - Small class sizes and a nurturing environment help children at School Around Us become their best selves academically, socially and emotionally.
Top Maine Private Schools by County (2019-20)
- County# Schools# Students% Minority
- 11 Schools1,029 Students9% Minority
- 5 Schools303 Students5% Minority
- 44 Schools4,110 Students9% Minority
- 1 Schools63 Students2% Minority
- 7 Schools537 Students9% Minority
- 12 Schools1,697 Students7% Minority
- 8 Schools375 Students27% Minority
- 10 Schools980 Students11% Minority
- 12 Schools1,269 Students15% Minority
- 17 Schools1,812 Students13% Minority
- 1 Schools427 Students- Minority
- 4 Schools256 Students27% Minority
- 8 Schools736 Students18% Minority
- 4 Schools93 Students6% Minority
- 2 Schools511 Students22% Minority
- 22 Schools3,592 Students6% Minority
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.