5.00 (3 reviews)
Tel: (207) 384-6300
- Berwick Academy, chartered by John Hancock in 1791, serves over 600 students in grades Pre-K through 12 and post-graduate. While also offering boarding opportunities, the student body represents over 60 communities in the north shore of MA, NH, and southern ME and offers 8 bus routes with 25 stops for easy access to the Hilltop. Berwick`s extensive arts and athletics programs complement a rigorous academic curriculum, which balances tradition with innovation and prepares students for a complex and dynamic world.
- Students are empowered to be bold to take risks, own their learning, ask the difficult questions, pursue their passions, and to discover and be their own authentic selves.
- Virtual Event - Thu., November 05, 2020 - Sat., November 28, 2020 12:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Open House - Tue., November 17, 2020 - Sat., November 28, 2020 - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., December 02, 2020 6:30pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., December 08, 2020 6:30pm (EST) - get more information!
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Berwick has learning support specialists in the Lower, Middle, and Upper Schools|
|Total Students||590 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 10%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||73 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1280|
|Average ACT score||26|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(four pocket pants, no jeans, modest attire for girls)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$40,410|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $8720 (PK) - $40410 (Upper School)|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jen Wing|
|Admissions Associate||Haley Preston (Upper School)|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Golf,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Gay Straight Alliance, Investment Club, Literary Magazine, Math Team, Mock Trial, Model United Nations, Outdoors Club, Student Government
Arts and Music Programs:
A Capella, Dance, Lower School Music Classes, Middle School African Drumming, Middle School Chorus, Middle School Jazz Band, Upper School Band, Upper School Choir, Upper School Jazz Ensemble
- Vision Statement:
- By 2020, Berwick Academy will become a nationally recognized coeducational day school. We seek this recognition for the unique qualities of the Berwick experience. Excellence at Berwick will continue to be attained by local Seacoast day students who stretch and engage in ways that catalyze achievement of their individual potential in all areas of school life. Berwick will be further distinguished in its peer group through its synergistic relationship with the values and priorities of Seacoast families, which include quality of life, balance, perspective, and authenticity.
- This combination of national excellence and Seacoast values will result in Berwick being pursued by educators from across the nation and by prospective Seacoast students and families. Berwick Academy`s culture and first-rate facilities will be known as a reason for families to relocate to our area. Our graduates will be equipped to thrive at the finest and most diverse colleges and universities in the country, but they will be grounded by the core values of our community.
- We will bring this vision to fruition by engaging the talent and resourcefulness of our exceptional students, faculty, staff, trustees, alumni, and parent community. Together we will improve all aspects of the school with particular focus on enhancing our programs and bolstering financial durability. We will know that our vision has been realized when enrollment selectivity has increased substantially, net endowment has improved significantly, and other private day school educators routinely seek our input on teaching, finance, diversity, program, and campus development.
- Statement of Community:
- Berwick Academy affirms its commitment to creating an inclusive and welcoming community that celebrates the unique qualities of every individual while encouraging active engagement in a diverse world. We strive to support and attract students, faculty, staff, and administrators whose varied backgrounds, including race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, family composition, physical difference, and socioeconomic status strengthen our community. Through our curriculum, extracurricular activities, and community building efforts, we prepare students to become leaders who challenge preconceptions, value difference, and catalyze divergent ideas to realize Berwick`s mission of "promoting virtue and useful knowledge."
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Lawrence Grades: 9-12 | 1316 students
300 Hampshire St
Lawrence, MA 01841
(978) 682-0260 40.2 9-12
Berwick Academy is a school that pays you back. Although the school is most widely known for it's academic prowess, innovation, and college placement ability, where BA really shines is through it's intimate, family-like environment. By this design, Berwick fosters tailored development by truly educating the whole student. As a fairly recent graduate, I can honestly say that Berwick not only gave me (and my peers) access to a number of highly selective colleges, it also provided me with a solid personal foundation comprised of confidence, self awareness, and social ability that shaped the person I am today. Although the real value of Berwick was not as clear to me when I was a student there, I know now that my unfettered access to my extremely gifted and memorable teachers, my highly challenging course load, and the academy's ongoing promotion of self discovery was not something that most others enjoyed. I know it was a huge sacrifice, but I am forever indebted to my family for having the foresight and decidedness to send me there and will most definitely work to do the same for my children.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Marks
Berwick Academy is a wonderful school. I attend Berwick for 9 years, then worked there as the Assistant Alumni Director, and I am now on the Alumni Council. The school has grown and changed in amazing ways over the many years I have been involved. I would highly recommend this school to any parents looking for a private school experience for their child. It will be the experience of a life time.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - pemij
The investment of a Berwick Academy education has paid many dividends throughout the years since graduating from the school. Not only did I receive a top notch education, but the curriculum naturally offers the ability to become a "well rounded" student. The small teacher-to-student ratio fosters the ability to build lasting relationships with the faculty and promotes a very intimate learning environment. Attending a school like Berwick Academy made the transition to college a lot more manageable as the course load and demands of each student were quite rigorous, but fair. Berwick Academy has made huge strides over the years incorporating new innovations into their curriculum, making them one of the premier college preparatory institutions. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to study at Berwick Academy and continue to cherish my experience there.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - tjure
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?