- Berwick Academy is Maine's oldest, independent Pre-K through Post Graduate private school.
- Our community is dynamic, offering challenging academics, competitive athletics, and creative arts programs.
- Members of the community operate within a context of caring and respect as we pursue our quest for "useful knowledge" as "one school with three divisions." Students and faculty are encouraged to expand their horizons by balancing academics with athletic, dramatic, and musical options.
- The goal of "giving one's best" is at the core of our mission.
- Whether the challenge is found in the classroom, on stage, or on the playing field, the Berwick community joins together in preparing students to become valuable contributors for future years.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||593 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 10%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||68 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|Average SAT score||1300|
|Average ACT score||26|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(collared shirts, no jeans, modest attire for girls)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$32,950|
|Tuition Notes||Upper School tuition is $32,950|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Andrew Bishop|
|Admissions Associate||Molly Gabarro (Upper School)|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, TennisBallet, Baseball,
Cross Country, Dance,
Field Hockey, Golf,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Dance, Gay Straight Alliance, Literary Magazine, Lower School Music Classes, Math Team, Middle School African Drumming, Middle School Chorus, Middle School Jazz Band, Mock Trial, Model United Nations, Student Government, Upper School Band, Upper School Choir, Upper School Jazz Ensemble Dance, Math Team, Mock Trial, Gay Straight Alliance,
Lower School Music Classes,
Middle School African Drumming,
Middle School Chorus,
Middle School Jazz Band,
Model United Nations,
Upper School Band,
Upper School Choir,
Upper School Jazz Ensemble,
- Berwick Academy Core Values:
- Berwick Academy constituents participate in a quest for balance that fundamentally defines our sense of community. We exist in a spiraling cycle of discovery, self-reflection, and growth. While each community member`s individualized journey towards this value is a personal work in progress, we share a common appreciation of the tensions that exist within our definition of this ideal.
- Stretching through Engagement:
- Berwick assumes that we all benefit from personal exploration, taking considered risks and genuinely diving into new endeavors. Community members are expected to stretch themselves in a myriad of ways.
- A Community of Excellence:
- "Community" and "Excellence" are two of the most cherished principles at Berwick Academy. Academic excellence is central to the Berwick experience, but our community of high standards expects all constituents to be in a process of striving for their personal best in all areas of school life.
- Commitment to Integrity:
- Being a member of the Berwick community requires a deeply held commitment to being a person of character and to continually refining one`s ethical understanding of the world.
Berwick Academy is a school that pays you back. Although the school is most widely known for it's academic prowess, innovation, and college placement ability, where BA really shines is through it's intimate, family-like environment. By this design, Berwick fosters tailored development by truly educating the whole student. As a fairly recent graduate, I can honestly say that Berwick not only gave me (and my peers) access to a number of highly selective colleges, it also provided me with a solid personal foundation comprised of confidence, self awareness, and social ability that shaped the person I am today. Although the real value of Berwick was not as clear to me when I was a student there, I know now that my unfettered access to my extremely gifted and memorable teachers, my highly challenging course load, and the academy's ongoing promotion of self discovery was not something that most others enjoyed. I know it was a huge sacrifice, but I am forever indebted to my family for having the foresight and decidedness to send me there and will most definitely work to do the same for my children.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Marks
Berwick Academy is a wonderful school. I attend Berwick for 9 years, then worked there as the Assistant Alumni Director, and I am now on the Alumni Council. The school has grown and changed in amazing ways over the many years I have been involved. I would highly recommend this school to any parents looking for a private school experience for their child. It will be the experience of a life time.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - pemij
The investment of a Berwick Academy education has paid many dividends throughout the years since graduating from the school. Not only did I receive a top notch education, but the curriculum naturally offers the ability to become a "well rounded" student. The small teacher-to-student ratio fosters the ability to build lasting relationships with the faculty and promotes a very intimate learning environment. Attending a school like Berwick Academy made the transition to college a lot more manageable as the course load and demands of each student were quite rigorous, but fair. Berwick Academy has made huge strides over the years incorporating new innovations into their curriculum, making them one of the premier college preparatory institutions. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to study at Berwick Academy and continue to cherish my experience there.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - tjure
May 26, 2017
When you apply for a position at a private school, you need to use a slightly different approach than you would use if you were applying for a sales job somewhere.
May 25, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 25, 2017
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.