North Yarmouth Academy
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (207) 846-9051
North Yarmouth Academy Photo #2 - Middle School science class in the Royal River. NYA faculty are encouraged to take their students out of the classroom - sometimes you have to do it to learn it!
North Yarmouth Academy Photo #4 - NYA students on trip to Glacier Bay, Alaska with teacher Ian Ramsey as part of an environmental writing class. This class combines writing, environmentalism, and adventure with a focus on writing technique, storytelling, and environmental awareness. The class is part of the Kauffmann Program in Environmental Writing and Wilderness Exploration.
North Yarmouth Academy Photo #7 - The Girls varsity soccer team lifts the State Championship Gold Ball for the second year in a row in 2019. The athletic program is an integral part of the NYA experience. The philosophy of the program is grounded in the importance of physical fitness and developing character, cooperation, and teamwork through athletics. All students are required to participate in an
- North Yarmouth Academy in Yarmouth, Maine is a co-educational, college preparatory school serving students toddler through grade 12. NYA is alive with students who love to learn, explore, and grow.
- Their enthusiasm and commitment to excellence are evident in the classroom, on the fields, and in the studios across campus.
- NYA is a welcoming community, one that embraces each child`s style of learning and offers support, skills, and encouragement -- tools that are key to their success.
- NYA educates its students with a comprehensive program that incorporates academics, the arts, and athletics.
- We believe that a student's character and development thrive in a well-rounded, supportive environment.
- Students are encouraged to advocate for themselves, manage their time effectively, and discover their many strengths. Their teachers are their mentors, coaches, and friends, and they are committed to bringing out the best in every student.
- NYA's Lower School opened in the fall of 2014 and provides a Montessori-based education through kindergarten, and in grades 3 and 4, the approach continues to foster curiosity and motivation to learn while also preparing students for an easy transition to the Middle School at NYA.
North Yarmouth Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Maine for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||366 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 10%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||63 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Number of AP Courses||17 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History|
|Average SAT score||1202|
|Average ACT score||26|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Pants/knee length Bermuda shorts, skirt, kilt, or dress. Collared button up shirt or turtleneck, sweater. All shirts tucked in. )
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$30,550|
|Tuition Notes||Toddler (2 - Mornings) - $7,975 Toddler (2 -Full Days) - $10,875 Toddler (3 - Mornings) - $9,835 Toddler (3 - Full Day) - $13,400 Toddler (5 - Mornings) - $13,450 Toddler (5 Full Days) - $17,900 Primary (5 Days - Mornings) - $12,275 Primary (5 Full Days) - $17,425 Kindergarten - $18,125 Grades 1-4 - $18,475 Grade 5 - $25,250 Grade 6 -8 - $29,725 Grade 9-12 - $30,550|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$13,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Ashley Randlett|
|Admissions Associate||Abbi Maguire|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||25 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Judiciary Committee, KIVA Club, Knitting Club, Literary Magazine, Make-A-Wish, Math Team, Mock Trial, Model UN, Robotics, Student Government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
AP Art Studio, AP Music Theory, Chorus, Drawing, Jazz Band, Painting, Printmaking, Sculpture, Steel Band, Strings Ensemble, Treble Chorus, Varsity Singers, Wind Ensemble
- North Yarmouth Academy's students currently come from 40+ communities in Maine. In addition, we have a small homestay program with students from other areas of our country, as well as from countries around the globe. This program accounts for approximately 5% of our student population.
- NYA's music and arts program is second to none. All of our middle school students participate in our music and arts programs. Our upper school students must meet a visual and performing arts requirement, and over 70% of our students fulfill that requirement and continue to participate. Students can participate in a wide variety of choral groups, music ensembles and participate in our all-school musical. The school is alive with music of all kinds.
- NYA offers a very competitive athletic program, meeting the needs of all levels of athletes. Many of our teams are state champions, and we emphasize the importance of participation in an athletic program not only for competition, but for team-building, character buliding, and camaraderie.
- Our rigorous academic curriculum is supported by a committed faculty that knows each student well, supports learning styles, and encourages growth. Our faculty encourages each student to reach his or her own level of excellence.
- NYA's college counseling program is focused on helping each individual student consider a range of next-step options. We work one-on-one with every student to help each find the right fit. In any given year, virtually 100% of our graduates go on to a four-year college or university, though some take a GAP year before beginning.
- We believe that often you have to do it to learn it,and what happens outside the classroom is just as important as what happens inside.
- NYA offers a Diploma with Distinction in these areas: Music: Performance, Entrepreneurship, and Community; Global Citizenship; Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM); Social Advocacy; and Outdoor & Environmental Leadership.
- In 2014, NYA added a Lower School which now includes children 18-months to grade 4. The Lower School integrates Montessori methods through kindergarten. In the first through fourth grades, the program builds off a Montessori foundation, fostering curiosity and motivation to learn while also preparing students for an easy transition to the Middle School at NYA.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: PK-12 | 705 students
360 Spring St
Portland, ME 04102
(207) 774-5721 11.4 PK-12
My high school daughter is thriving at NYA. She left the anonymity of the public school system for a school environment where she is valued as an individual. NYA has a strong sense of community, and teachers care about each student and their success in school. Students support each other in the classroom and on the athletic fields. NYA students receive a rigorous eduction and graduate high school well-prepared for the challenges of college.
- Posted by Parent - bmarr
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?