North Yarmouth Academy
5.00 (1 review)
NYA students on trip to Glacier Bay, Alaska with teacher Ian Ramsey as part of an environmental writing class. This class combines writing, environmentalism, and adventure with a focus on writing technique, storytelling, and environmental awareness. The class is part of the Kauffmann Program in Environmental Writing and Wilderness Exploration. http://www.nya.org/blog/2016/03/kauffmann-program/
Middle School science class in the Royal River. NYA faculty are encouraged to take their students out of the classroom - sometimes you have to do it to learn it!
Members of the girls varsity soccer team. The athletic program is an integral part of the NYA experience. The philosophy of the program is grounded in the importance of physical fitness and developing character, cooperation, and teamwork through athletics. All students are required to participate in an after school commitment, either athletics or performing arts, throughout the year.
Monarch butterfly release at the Lower School. NYA's Lower School integrates Montessori methods through kindergarten. The Lower School serves as a natural foundation as children develop into students who have a deeper understanding and respect for learning and knowledge.
Boys varsity hockey game in NYA's Travis Roy Ice Arena. NYA boys and girls hockey is part of the Holt Conference in the Prep League (NEPSAC). Contact Jack Hardy for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- North Yarmouth Academy in Yarmouth, Maine is a co-educational, college preparatory school serving students toddler through grade 12.
- NYA is alive with students who love to learn, explore, and grow. We
- Their enthusiasm and commitment to excellence are evident in the classroom, on the fields, and in the studios across campus.
- NYA is a welcoming community, one that embraces each child`s style of learning and offers support, skills, and encouragement -- tools that are key to their success.
- NYA educates its students with a comprehensive program that incorporates academics, the arts, and athletics.
- We believe that a student's character and development thrive in a well-rounded, supportive environment.
- Students are encouraged to advocate for themselves, manage their time effectively, and discover their many strengths. Their teachers are their mentors, coaches, and friends, and they are committed to bringing out the best in every student.
- NYA's Lower School opened in the fall of 2014 and provides a Montessori-based education through kindergarten, and in grades 3 and 4, the approach continues to foster curiosity and motivation to learn while also preparing students for an easy transition to the Middle School at NYA.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||300 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 11%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||63 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Number of AP Courses||15 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$27,850|
|Tuition Notes||Toddler (Tu, We, Th - Mornings) - $8,200 Toddler (Tu, We, Th - Full Day) - $11,350 Toddler (5 Days - Mornings) - $10,950 Toddler (5 Full Days) - $15,400 Primary (5 Days - Mornings) - $10,150 Primary/Kindergarten - $14,700 Grades 1-2 - $15,750 Grade|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$13,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Ashley Randlett|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||25 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Judiciary Committee, KIVA Club, Knitting Club, Literary Magazine, Make-A-Wish, Math Team, Mock Trial, Model UN, Robotics, Student Government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
AP Art Studio, AP Music Theory, Chorus, Drawing, Jazz Band, Painting, Printmaking, Sculpture, Steel Band, Strings Ensemble, Treble Chorus, Varsity Singers, Wind Ensemble
- North Yarmouth Academy's students currently come from 40+ communities in Maine. In addition, we have a small boarding/homestay program with students from other areas of our country, as well as from countries around the globe. This program accounts for approximately 5% of our student population.
- NYA's music and arts program is second to none. All of our middle school students participate in our music and arts programs. Our upper school students must meet a visual and performing arts requirement, and over 70% of our students fulfill that requirement and continue to participate. Students can participate in a wide variety of choral groups, music ensembles and participate in our all-school musical. The school is alive with music of all kinds.
- NYA offers a very competitive athletic program, meeting the needs of all levels of athletes. Many of our teams are state champions, and we emphasize the importance of participation in an athletic program not only for competition, but for team-building, character and camaraderie.
- Our rigorous academic curriculum is supported by a committed faculty that knows each student well, supports learning styles and encourages growth. Our faculty encourages each student to reach his or her own level of excellence.
- NYA's college counseling program is focused on helping each individual student consider a range of next-step options. We work one-on-one with every student to help each find the right fit. In any given year, virtually 100% of our graduates go on to a 4-year college or university, though some take a GAP year before beginning. In the class of 2015, 68% of the class was admitted to their top choice school and 92% of the class was admitted to one, two or three of their top three choice colleges.
- We believe that often you have to do it to learn it,and what happens outside the classroom is just as important as what happens inside.
- NYA offers a Diploma with Distinction in these areas: Music: Performance, Entrepreneurship, and Community; Global Citizenship; and Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: PK-12 | 556 students
360 Spring St
Portland, ME 04102
(207)774-5721 11.4 PK-12
- Poland Grades: PK-12 | 56 students
14 Hope Springs Rd
Poland, ME 04274
(207)998-4566 20.5 PK-12
- Woolwich Grades: 1-12 | 68 students
425 Chops Point Rd
Woolwich, ME 04579
(207)443-3080 23.4 1-12
- Bath Grades: 9-12 | 144 students
616 High Street
Bath, ME 04530
(207)443-5584 19.6 9-12
- Freeport Grades: PK-12 | 292 students
57 Desert Rd
Freeport, ME 04032
(207)865-3900 4.2 PK-12
My high school daughter is thriving at NYA. She left the anonymity of the public school system for a school environment where she is valued as an individual. NYA has a strong sense of community, and teachers care about each student and their success in school. Students support each other in the classroom and on the athletic fields. NYA students receive a rigorous eduction and graduate high school well-prepared for the challenges of college.
- Posted by Parent - bmarr
July 16, 2018
As you’ve been doing your boarding school research, you’ve likely seen ISEE/SSAT score submission requirements for your target schools, and understand how important scores are to the admissions process. Unfortunately, tremendous candidates can get bypassed because they were not able to demonstrate what they knew on test day.
July 13, 2018
Schools for the artistically gifted child are in short supply.
June 26, 2018
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.