- Connecticut Friends School is a fully accredited, independent, preschool to Grade 8 school providing students with an education that fosters self-confidence, intellectual curiosity, and compassion for others.
- The school is small by design; the educational program is dynamic, supportive, and engaging.Students at CFS do serious work in a joyous atmosphere.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||mild learning differences|
|Total Students||80 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Tuition Notes||Financial Assistance is available|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Associate||Sean Higgins|
- Philosophy - At Connecticut Friends School, we provide a child-centered environment that blends traditional and progressive approaches to education. We challenge and encourage our students to reach their full potential in a culture of high hopeful expectation. Drawing on a 300-year tradition of Friends education in America, our program is guided by the Quaker values of integrity, equality, peace, community, simplicity, and stewardship of the earth.
- Welcome to Our Classrooms! - The CFS classroom is a lively place that supports deep understanding, love of learning, and social as well as intellectual growth. Our learner-centered classrooms provide responsive and intimate settings where teaching is adapted to different learning styles. Classes are multi-age and organized by developmental need rather than by grade level. The CFS classroom culture promotes respect, moral growth, an appreciation of different perspectives, and cooperation among students rather than competition.
- We believe that students learn best when their interests and questions drive much of the curriculum, and this belief is the basis for a rigorous and engaging program. The academic curriculum includes a core program of language arts, mathematics, social studies, science, and foreign language. We use a variety of teaching techniques including thematic study and experiential learning, as well traditional classroom methods, while following national standards such as the NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) and the NSTA (National Science Teachers Association) guidelines. Creative expression is encouraged through the performing and visual arts including drama, music, storytelling, drawing, painting, and sculpture, and physical activities such as dance and movement.
- Opportunities for learning outside of the classroom are critical to a child's experience at CFS. Field trips, essential for building community, enhancing curriculum, and fostering a sense of wonder about the world, are a regular part of our program. Service learning is also important and introduces students to the possibility of changing the world through organized action.
Profile last updated: 02/25/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
WiltonGrades: PK-8 | 238 students
34 Whipple Rd
Wilton, CT 06897
NorwalkGrades: PK-8 | 570 students
139 W Rocks Rd
Norwalk, CT 06851
StamfordGrades: PK-12 | 664 students
1450 Newfield Ave
Stamford, CT 06905
New CanaanGrades: NS-9 | 635 students
635 Frogtown Road
New Canaan, CT 06840
RyeGrades: PK-8 | 543 students
116 Milton Road
Rye, NY 10580
What a gem of a school! It's tiny, which made me a little nervous at first, but this turned out to be a very good thing! The kids get such personal attention from the teachers, it's almost like the curriculum is catered to each individual. If you want to see your child find their passion and shine, this is the place! I feel like our child was just going through the motions at public school, lost in the shuffle, and completely bored. So happy we made the switch!
- Posted by Parent - jen
CT Friends is such a special school that offers such a unique and cherished educational experience! The school is all about "back to basics" (personal electronics are discouraged!) and "being a kind human being/member of the community". Focusing on simple pleasures (even cleaning up as a group/team!), games/activities (canoeing, ice skating, rock climbing) and ways to bond (overnight retreats), all in a supportive and nurturing environment, shapes each child into the special individual they were meant to be!
- Posted by Parent - brile
This is a great school by far if you are looking for a challenging academic program that allows the teacher to customize based on individual learning styles. Our intentional low student/teacher ratio creates a strong relationship between teachers, students, administrators, parents, and staff. The community is strong and supports each and every child. My kids have all gone (or going) through K-8 at CFS. It provided a strong foundation for each of my children giving them confidence, academic excellence, strong values. It is a winning combination and something you cannot get in a public school setting. My son that graduated was accepted to a prestigous private high school and on his way to success!
- Posted by Parent - orian
Connecticut Friends School is a great school that supports each child by engaging them in a way that makes them want to learn. I have 2 children in this school and it has been an amazing experience for our family. Before coming to this school my children attended public school where they were both losing their enthusiasm for school. After hearing many positive reviews of the school we decided to enroll them both. Shortly after starting they began to get the spark back in their eyes and actually wanted to go to school and learn. They immediately connected with their teachers and developed strong peer friendships. It is a special place where each child is supported and challenged to be their best self. We love this school and definitely recommend it!
- Posted by Parent - orian
We have two children that both attend CFS. The teachers are amazing as they are able to engage each child and can teach to the learning style of the child. The nurturing environment is so relaxed and comfortable that my kids love going to school. They enjoy Spanish, outdoor education and of course, gym! CFS has a way of making each child feel special. We love it here!
- Posted by Parent - orian