- The French American International School (FAIS) is an independent, accredited school with an international curriculum. Founded in 1979 with a vision for academic excellence, cultural diversity, and the benefits of language immersion education, FAIS is now one of the largest independent schools in the Portland area, with a current enrollment of over 500 students.
- FAIS is Portland's oldest language immersion school and the only school in the region fully accredited by both the French Ministry of Education and the Pacific Northwest Association of Independent Schools.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||546 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||60 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$14,820|
|Tuition Notes||PS-PK half day: $12,230 PS-5th full day: $14,820 6th-8th: $15,950 Financial aid is available.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,500|
|Admissions Director||Arezu Movahed|
|Admissions Associate||Kate Sandgren|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Lacrosse, Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,
Soccer, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Aerial Movement, African Culture, Art, Ceramics, Chess, Chinese Culture, Cooking, Dance, Drama, Math, Music, Photography, Robotics, Science, Writing, Yoga Art, Ceramics, Chess, Cooking, Dance, Drama, Math, Music, Photography, Robotics, Science, Writing, Yoga, Aerial Movement,
- The French American Lower School is a preschool through grade five French immersion school accredited by the French Ministry of National Education. The Lower School offers a "best of both" education: the French national curriculum's emphasis on rigorous preparation, high standards, and thorough knowledge and understanding of core subjects, along with the American focus on creativity, imagination, English language skills, and the development of the whole child. The French American Lower School offers small classes with a maximum of 18 students taught by certified teachers who are all native French speakers. Every preschool through kindergarten class also has a fully bilingual teaching assistant. The Gilkey International Middle School offers a globally oriented, academically advanced middle school program where students strive to become independent, creative and critical thinkers. With a supportive, welcoming environment and an average class size of 15 students, Gilkey offers three academic tracks:
- The French Track For students coming from the French American School elementary program, another French immersion school, or students for whom French is a native language. Students continue with French immersion education and add a third language.
- The International Track For students with no prior language immersion experience. Classes are taught in English and the student begins studying a second language: French, German, Spanish, or Mandarin Chinese.
- The International Track with Advanced Language For students who have experience in an immersion language other than French or English (German, Spanish, or Mandarin Chinese). These students receive instruction in their immersion language, begin a new language, and continue the rest of their program in English.
Profile last updated: 07/16/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PortlandGrades: PK-12 | 756 students
8825 SW Barnes Road
Portland, OR 97225
GreshamGrades: PK-9 | 286 students
Po Box 2128
Gresham, OR 97030
PortlandGrades: NS-6 | 173 students
11065 NW Crystal Creek Ln
Portland, OR 97229
Lake OswegoGrades: K-6 | 150 students
2 SW Touchstone Dr
Lake Oswego, OR 97035
2300 SE Harrison St
Portland, OR 97222
Our daughter attended FAIS and Gilkey from fourth through eighth grades, coming from a French immersion school in Maryland. At FAIS the rigorous International Baccalaureate (IB) program prepared her for the IB program at the International School of Geneva (ECOLINT), where she earned an IB Diploma with top grades. Her studies in French and Chinese at Gilkey paved the way for Spanish, Latin and Greek at ECOLINT and at the University of California, Santa Cruz. I would send her to FAIS/Gilkey again in a heartbeat.
- Posted by Parent - Martin
This is an exceptional school that produces remarkably well-rounded students. My son is still in grade school, and can read and write English and French fluently. But perhaps less expected, the science program is stellar as well. My child surprised our pediatrician with his knowledge of how the human body works. All this without sacrificing art, music, or P.E. A really great school!
- Posted by Parent - janes