- New Summit School's mission is to encourage students, levels kindergarten - twelfth grade, to reach their full academic potential while promoting their emotional well-being.
- New Summit School is dedicated to the educational philosophy that considers the diverse needs of today's students and families.
- The school recognizes the need for non-traditional instructional settings that provide individual academic attention while encouraging emotional and social growth.
- The school recognizes the need for an individual, motivational and intellectual environment for students, including those students who are exceptional learners who may encounter learning differences.
- Through initial assessment, the staff of New Summit School determines each student's needs and custom-designs an educational plan suited to meeting those needs.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other associations(s) for exceptional children
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Total Students||147 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 14%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
- School Location Miles Grades Students
JacksonGrades: 1-12 | 153 students
Po Box 55509
Jackson, MS 39296
PearlGrades: PK-12 | 508 students
201 Park Place Drive
Pearl, MS 39208
JacksonGrades: PK-12 | 1300 students
4908 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211
Piney WoodsGrades: 9-12 | 168 students
Po Box 100
Piney Woods, MS 39148
JacksonGrades: 6-12 | 847 students
Po Box 4940
Jackson, MS 39296
Actually I am a grand parent who is very much acrtive in my grand child's life. New Summit was an answer prayer for us. The school is well organized, a great learning environment, and the teachers are very caring and tune in to my grandson's needs and learning abilities. My grandchild loves the school. He doesn't ever want to go back to previous school district. He has a eagerness to learn now! As far as extracurricular activities, they are limited for now. He doesn't seem to mind. Oh yeah, the teacher, student ratio makes all the difference.
- Posted by Parent - mayle
New Summit is the best kept secret in Jackson. The small teacher to student ratio and caring staff create a wonderful learning environment for the kids. New Summit is also great for socially awkward kids or children with low spectrum learning disabilities (i.e. Asperger's syndrome). We moved my child from a premier Madison, MS public school in 4th grade to New Summit. He went from being a shy, withdrawn kid with below average grades lost in a sea of students to an outgoing and cheerful kid with plenty of friends and A's/B's on his report cards. The school is small, however, so they are lacking in some extra-curricular activities such as organized sports (football, baseball, soccer, etc.). However, New Summit is continually growing and have a new multi-purpose gymnasium in the works which should provide more out of the classroom activities for the students.
- Posted by Parent - south