Grades: NS-6 | 94 students
The Ocean State Montessori School offers Montessori programs for children in preschool (including our Wee Threes) through sixth grade, as well as after-school programs and vacation and summer camps.
Founded in 1973, it is the oldest Montessori school in Rhode Island. Our Mission Statement: The Ocean State Montessori School fosters independence, self-esteem, and a life-long love of learning by providing an academically excellent and nurturing Montessori environment for children in preschool through sixth grade.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Total Students||94 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 20%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||5 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||19:1
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- The Ocean State Montessori School is the oldest Montessori school in Rhode Island. It was founded in 1973 by a group of parents interested in the Montessori Method. They secured a grant to purchase Montessori materials and hired a teacher and two assistants to teach 30 students in a church in Barrington. Over the years the school has expanded, adding additional Montessori classrooms and programs.
- The Ocean State Montessori School currently provides Montessori programs for children ages 3 through 12 (preschool through sixth grade) as well as after-school programs and vacation and summer camps. The Ocean State Montessori School is licensed by the Rhode Island Department of Education and the Rhode Island Department of Children, Youth and Families. We are an affiliate member of the American Montessori Society (AMS). Our teachers all hold bachelor’s or master’s degrees and have received, or are in the process of earning, their AMS teaching credential.
- Ocean State Montessori School is committed to serving the needs of all children and families supporting and celebrating diversity in the community we serve. Our classrooms provide this "prepared environment" in which children are free to explore and learn at their own pace. Each classroom has a full component of Montessori materials. The teacher acts as a guide to the classroom, recognizing periods of readiness, introducing new materials and demonstrating how to use them.
- Our Programs:
- Wee Threes Program (for children who turn 3 between September 1 and December 31) Our Wee Threes program addresses the unique needs of the younger three year old child and provides a wonderful introduction to a Montessori education.
- Primary Program (ages 3 - 6, preschool - kindergarten) The 3-year Primary program creates an atmosphere conducive to the young child's natural inclination to learn and explore.
- Lower Elementary (grades 1 - 3) Our integrated curriculum supports the Elementary student's understanding of abstract ideas and the development of their social and moral selves.
- Upper Elementary (grades 4 - 6) The Upper Elementary classroom gives students the opportunity to take on larger issues and greater responsibilities for academic advancement.
- At every level, our curriculum also includes art, music, language, and physical education.
Profile last updated: 07/16/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
JohnstonGrades: PK-8 | 304 students
931 Atwood Ave
Johnston, RI 02919
BarringtonGrades: K-12 | 220 students
9 Old County Road
Barrington, RI 02806
East ProvidenceGrades: PK-8 | 408 students
45 Maxfield Ave
East Providence, RI 02914
ProvidenceGrades: NS-PK | 10 students
225 Blackstone Street
Providence, RI 02905
ProvidenceGrades: NS-12 | 816 students
216 Hope St
Providence, RI 02906