|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten - 5|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
Since 1955, Hebrew Academy of Tidewater has served as the region’s only Jewish Community Day School, welcoming families of all Jewish backgrounds and practices. The school’s mission is to provide the highest quality Judaic and general studies education and to establish a strong foundation for lifelong learning in a dynamic, supportive, and enriching Jewish environment.
The strength of the program is built upon a rigorous and comprehensive academic curriculum of science, math, social studies, Jewish studies, Hebrew language, music, art, physical education, and the use of advanced technology. An outstanding faculty infuse students with a spirit of respect, tolerance, inclusiveness, and ethics that extend from within and beyond the classroom.
Immersion in the school’s dual curriculum prepares students for the rigors of academic programs at other fine schools while instilling a strong foundation and understanding of who they are as Jews. They see themselves not just as Americans, but as Jewish Americans who understand their heritage and feel a strong connection to Israel and to Jews around the world.
Graduates make confident transitions into ALL the best independent schools, IB academies, honors programs, and Judaic schools of higher learning. From there, they are accepted into the most well-respected colleges and universities including Brandeis, Princeton, University of Virginia, Duke, and many more.
• Welcoming children of all Jewish affiliations (Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, and interfaith marriage)
• Region’s only Jewish community day school• Centrally located
• Strength of program is built upon a rigorous academic dual curriculum of science, math, social studies, Jewish studies, Hebrew language, music, art, physical education, and the use of advanced technology
• Facility boasts a regulation size gym, soccer field, tennis courts and indoor pool• Faculty includes general studies teachers, Judaic studies/Hebrew language teachers and multiple resource teachers
• Teachers know strengths and needs of all students within a warm and caring atmosphere
• Extra help and enrichment available
• Clubs and intramurals
• Need-based financial aid available
• All teachers certified by the Virginia Department of Education or meet other professional accreditation standards
• Full membership in and accreditation by the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS) and National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
• Founding member of RAVSAK, the Jewish Community Day School Network
• Constituent agency of the United Federation of Tidewater
• Hours: M-Thurs 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. and Fri 8 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Strelitz Early Childhood Center preschool
The mission of the Strelitz Early Childhood Center is to establish a strong foundation for lifelong learning in a dynamic, supportive, and enriching Jewish environment. The Center is comprised of two sections—preschool andBeginnings. The preschool seeks young students between the ages of two and four who would benefit from a developmentally appropriate setting where early learning and Jewish life are linked. The school educates the whole child by providing a good balance between academic and social concerns, helping children to grow physically, socially, emotionally and educationally. Thematic learning units from the Jewish and secular worlds provide options for intellectual curiosity and develop emerging readiness skills, preparing them for kindergarten programs.
All teachers guide students in a loving and nurturing environment, encouraging language development, creativity, and exploration of the world around them. Students develop logic and problem-solving abilities both as individuals and as members of a group. Teachers and families work together to encourage students to become independent.
Tuition assistance is available to those demonstrating financial need. Requests are evaluated using the School and Student Services provided by the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS). Assistance is made subject to the limits of available scholarship funds and all applications are held in the strictest of confidence.
Profile last updated: 05/06/2013
- School Location Miles Students Grades
Virginia BeachRock Church Academy
640 Kempsville Road
Virginia Beach, VA, 23464
(757)495-5200(Methodist)1 mi | 162 students | Gr. KG-12
Virginia Beach St. Gregory The Great School
5343 Virginia Beach Blvd
Virginia Beach, VA, 23462
(757)497-1811(Roman Catholic)1.1 mi | 747 students | Gr. PK-8
Virginia BeachCoastal Christian Academy
640 Kempsville Rd
Virginia Beach, VA, 23464(Pentecostal)1.1 mi | 15 students | Gr. K-11
Virginia BeachKpc Day School
805 Kempsville Road
Virginia Beach, VA, 23464
(757)495-4611Daycare / Preschool (Presbyterian)1.4 mi | 14 students | Gr. PK-NS
Virginia BeachOaktree Academy
817 Kempsville Rd
Virginia Beach, VA, 23464
(757)248-9560Special Program Emphasis (Christian)1.4 mi | 178 students | Gr. KG-12