|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association for Experiential Education (AEE)
The South Carolina Independent School Association
Other associations(s) for exceptional children
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades 3 - 12|
|Total Students||67 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||10% (SC School Avg.: 14%)|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||60%|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Logo-embroidered collared shirt and khaki/navy bottoms)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,400|
|Tuition Notes||The costs of Learning Outside the Classroom experiences are included in tuition, and the historical data for tuition and fees can be found on our website.|
|% on Financial Aid||25%|
- Grades 3-12.
- USL is geared to high-achieving students of above-average ability.
- Many aspects of a student's course of study are individualized based on a student's interests and abilities.
- Each student studies Mandarin, Spanish and Latin.
- USL is a laptop school. Each teacher and student is provided a wireless notebook computer for use at University School (1 to 1 ratio).
- 85% acceptance rate to Academic Magnet High School (for the four graduating classes from 2008-2013, three times all applicants from a class were accepted -- 2009, 2010, 2012).
- 7th grade state-level recognition, scoring better than 50% of juniors & seniors, on Duke TIP SAT every year (over 40% of our participants since our founding).
- A key aspect of USL is the heavy involvement of teenage and young adult mentors in the lives of our students. We have a mentor from every major high school option for our students, and the mentors are regularly involved in our students' lives at school and at evening and weekend school-sponsored activities. Our students also mentor Hibben Preschool students.
- USL features "Learning Outside of the Classroom." Regular interaction with and service to the community are hallmarks of our program. The Lowcountry is our classroom, and students spend one day per week "learning by doing" through experiences that challenge and inspire them. This entails over 30 field trips per year.
- Inquiry-based, hands-on curriculum features multiple teaching styles and multiple forms of assessment.
- Although many intermediate/middle schools provide an option to earn credit in Algebra and/or a Global Language, University School provides opportunities to advance and to earn high school credit in Algebra, Algebra II, and Geometry. Similar opportunities are available in Global Languages. The average USL student completes 8th grade with 5 high school credits.
Profile last updated: 02/17/2014
Mount Pleasant St. Andrews Episcopal Day School
Early Childhood / Day Cares (Episcopal)0.3 mi | 63 students | Gr. PK-NS
Mount Pleasant Mt. Pleasant Presbyterian Church Learning Center
Early Childhood / Day Cares (Presbyterian)0.3 mi | 200 students | Gr. K
Mount Pleasant Montessori Of Mt. Pleasant
Montessori School0.4 mi | 130 students | Gr. K
Mount Pleasant Coastal Christian Preparatory School
(Christian)0.6 mi | 252 students | Gr. PK-12
Mount Pleasant Christ Our King - Stella Maris School
(Roman Catholic)0.7 mi | 626 students | Gr. PK-8