University School of the Lowcountry
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)||Association for Experiential Education (AEE)
State or regional independent school association
Other associations(s) for exceptional children
|Grades Offered||Grades 3 - 8|
|Total Students||60 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||5% (SC School Avg.: 25%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||75%|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom dress code||Casual
(Logo-embroidered collared shirt and khaki/navy bottoms)
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$9,400|
|Tuition Notes||The costs of Learning Outside the Classroom experiences are included in tuition. Our prudent financial model has enabled us to have no increases in the costs to attend USL for three of the last four years. Tuition schedules reflect a pre-payment discoun|
|% on Financial Aid||25%|
- Grades3-8 are currently served. Additional grades will be offered in the coming years.
- USL is geared to high-achieving students of above-average ability.
- Many aspects of a student's course of study are individualized based on a student's interests and abilities.
- Each student studies Mandarin, Spanish and Latin.
- USL is a laptop school. Each teacher and student is provided a wireless notebook computer for use at University School (1 to 1 ratio).
- A key aspect of USL is the heavy involvement of teenage and young adult mentors in the lives of our students. We have a mentor from every major high school option for our students, and the mentors are regularly involved in our students' lives at school and at evening and weekend school-sponsored activities. Our students also mentor Hibben Preschool students.
- USL features "Learning Outside of the Classroom." Regular interaction with and service to the community are hallmarks of our program. The Lowcountry is our classroom, and students spend one day per week "learning by doing" through experiences that challenge and inspire them. This entails over 30 field trips per year.
- Inquiry-based, hands-on curriculum features multiple teaching styles and multiple forms of assessment.
- Although many intermediate/middle schools provide an option to earn credit in Algebra and/or a Global Language, University School provides opportunities to advance and to earn high school credit in Algebra, Algebra II, and Geometry (enhancing oneï¿½s options to take AP/IB/college-level math and science courses before graduating from high school). Similar opportunities are available in Global Languages.
Profile last updated: 01/15/2012
Related School Videos:
Hot hot hot!
9 months ago
The University School Riding CARTA
1 year ago.
Gr. 3-8 | 0 mi. away
Gr. PK-Nursery/Preschool | 0.3 mi. away
Gr. K | 0.3 mi. away
Gr. K | 0.4 mi. away
Gr. PK-12 | 0.6 mi. away
Gr. K-9 | 0.7 mi. away