Prospect Sierra School
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten - 8|
|Total Students||468 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||40% (CA School Avg.: 43%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||94 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||44%|
|Average Class Size||22 students|
|Classroom dress code||Casual
(neat, clean, and not distracting)
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 12 / Jan. 13|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$22,635|
|Tuition Notes||There is a generous financial assistance program based on family need. Approximately 40% of our students receive financial aid.|
|% on Financial Aid||40%|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$12,162|
|Admissions Director||Lily Shih|
|Admissions Associate||Bridget O\'Connor – Gr K-4|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Flag Football||Track and Field|
The educational program at Prospect Sierra strongly emphasizes an
integrated curriculum based on a framework of established themes.
Mathematics, literature, writing, art, music, science, world
languages (French and Spanish language instruction begins in the
fifth grade), social studies, service learning, physical education,
and computer technology are incorporated into a positive experience
for each student. The faculty, librarians, and staff work closely
together to connect the subject matter in meaningful ways.The
project-based curriculum is designed to promote understanding and
thoughtfulness. Students are asked to think deeply and reflectively
about facts, ideas, and experiences in an increasingly diverse
society. They are encouraged to make connections between their
learning at school and their growing awareness of the outside
- Prospect Sierra was named model "School of the Future" by the National Association of Independent Schools.
- Prospect Sierra co-hosted a TEDx conference on Compassion in partnership with the Greater Good Science Center of UC Berkeley.
- Prospect Sierra is an independent co-ed school located in El Cerrito. Two campuses, elementary (grades K-4) and middle school (grades 5-8) create the feel of a small school while providing the resources of a large one.
- Both campuses have excellent grounds and facilities. New buildings at each campus include expansive libraries, science labs, performing and fine arts buildings.
- Service learning is integral to the curriculum kindergarten through grade 8.
- Although 47% of our students come from Berkeley, students come to Prospect Sierra School from as far south as San Leandro and as far north as American Canyon.
- School bus service is available from Oakland, Berkeley, and Kensington.
- There is an excellent after school program as well as enrichment classes and sports until 6:00 PM. Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org for further information.
Profile last updated: 06/19/2012
Related School Videos:
A Day at Prospect Sierra School Video
1 year ago.
Related School News:
- Letter: Prospect Sierra Teacher Needs Your Votes As Semi-Finalist in National ... - Patch.com
posted on March 28, 2013 at 08:21:42 pm
Letter: Prospect Sierra Teacher Needs Your Votes As Semi-Finalist in National ...Patch.comI am a Kindergarten Teacher at Prospect Sierra School and was recently nominated ...
- Chris Treadway: West County has live theater, egg hunts, public programs and ... - Contra Costa Times
posted on March 20, 2013 at 04:57:18 pm
Chris Treadway: West County has live theater, egg hunts, public programs and ...Contra Costa Timesgrant she can use for her kindergarten class at Prospect Sierra School in El ...
- Prospect Sierra Teacher a Finalist in National Teaching Competition - Patch.com
posted on March 6, 2013 at 02:21:09 pm
Prospect Sierra Teacher a Finalist in National Teaching CompetitionPatch.comFor the past several years, the Kindergarten team at Prospect Sierra School has been ...
Gr. K-8 | 0 mi. away
Gr. K-9 | 0.5 mi. away
Gr. K-8 | 0.7 mi. away
Gr. Nursery/Preschool-PK | 0.9 mi. away
Gr. PK-8 | 1 mi. away
Gr. PK-8 | 1.1 mi. away