|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten - 8|
|Total Students||470 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||44% (CA School Avg.: 41%)|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||94 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||44%|
|Average Class Size||24 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(neat, clean, and not distracting)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 11 / Jan. 13|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$22,680|
|Tuition Notes||There is a generous financial assistance program based on family need. Approximately 36% of our students receive financial aid.|
|% on Financial Aid||36%|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$11,702|
|Admissions Director||Renée Thompson|
|Admissions Associate||Amy Sullivan - Grades 5-8|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,
Flag Football, Track and Field,
The educational program at Prospect Sierra strongly emphasizes an
integrated curriculum based on a framework of established themes.
Mathematics, literature, writing, art, music, science, world
languages (French and Spanish language instruction begins in the
fifth grade), social studies, service learning, physical education,
and computer technology are incorporated into a positive experience
for each student. The faculty, librarians, and staff work closely
together to connect the subject matter in meaningful ways.The
project-based curriculum is designed to promote understanding and
thoughtfulness. Students are asked to think deeply and reflectively
about facts, ideas, and experiences in an increasingly diverse
society. They are encouraged to make connections between their
learning at school and their growing awareness of the outside
- Prospect Sierra was named model "School of the Future" by the National Association of Independent Schools.
- Prospect Sierra is a U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School.
- Prospect Sierra co-hosted a TEDx conference on Compassion in partnership with the Greater Good Science Center of UC Berkeley.
- Prospect Sierra is an independent co-ed school located in El Cerrito. Two campuses, elementary (grades K-4) and middle school (grades 5-8) create the feel of a small school while providing the resources of a large one.
- Both campuses have excellent grounds and facilities. New buildings at each campus include expansive libraries, science labs, performing and fine arts buildings.
- Service learning is integral to the curriculum kindergarten through grade 8.
- Although 47% of our students come from Berkeley, students come to Prospect Sierra School from as far south as San Leandro and as far north as American Canyon.
- School bus service is available from Oakland, Berkeley, and Kensington.
- There is an excellent after school program as well as enrichment classes and sports until 6:00 PM. Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org for further information.
Profile last updated: 09/03/2013
El Cerrito St. John The Baptist
(Roman Catholic)0.5 mi | 265 students | Gr. K-9
El Cerrito Windrush School
Richmond Nomura Preschool
Early Childhood / Day Cares0.9 mi | 60 students | Gr. NS-PK
El Cerrito Montessori Family School
Montessori School1 mi | 154 students | Gr. PK-8
El Cerrito Tehiyah Day School
Special Program Emphasis (Jewish)1.1 mi | 239 students | Gr. PK-8