|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool - 8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||450 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||5% (IL School Avg.: 28%)|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||26 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||18:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||30%|
|Average Class Size||23 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(plaid uniform and khaki pants)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$4,030|
|Tuition Notes||Multi-student discount available: Grade 1-8 - 2 students - $6,040 total Grade 1-8 - 3 students - $7,450 total Grade 1-8 - 4 students - $8,055 total|
|% on Financial Aid||5%|
|Admissions Director||Mrs. Stasi|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,
Football, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Alter Servers, Band, Book Clubs, Boy/Girl Scouts, Chess Club, Geography Bee, Hand Bell Choir, Liturgical Choir, Piano, Science Fair, Spelling Bee, Spirt Squad, Student Council, Writing Club, \"Mathletes\" Math Club, No-Cut Sports, Extended Care Alter Servers, Band, Book Clubs, Boy/Girl Scouts, Chess Club, Geography Bee, Hand Bell Choir, Liturgical Choir, Piano, Science Fair, Spelling Bee, Spirt Squad, Student Council, Writing Club,
\"Mathletes\" Math Club, No-Cut Sports, Extended Care,
Our graduates excel in high school, earning awards and scholarships:
- SJS alums regularly earn honors, including being named valedictorians at local high schools, National Merit Award winners and recipients of community awards.
- Each year, SJS alums earn approximately $500,000 in college scholarships.
- Kindergarten Plus gives students an all-day Kindergarten option for extended learning opportunities and activities.
- Our average class size is 23 students, offering a personalized approach to learning.
- Our faculty regularly wins awards offered by the Diocese and local organizations.
- Spanish is taught in all grades, K-8.
- In 2013, SJS students earned one “Gold Award” and one “Silver Award” at the IL State Science Fair.
- Fine arts and computer science give students a well-rounded education in music, art and technology.
- Catholic values are emphasized in all spiritual, educational and extracurricular activities.
- All-school Masses, celebrated on Tuesdays and Holy Days at 8:15 am, give 8th grade students the opportunity to take an active role as lectors, sacristans and ushers, while students from all grades participate in other parts of Mass.
- Sacramental preparation is incorporated into the school day.
- Students participate in prayer services, rosary, Stations of the Cross, May Crowning and Reconciliation.
- Service projects help students live their faith and are built into the curricula.
- Extended Care offers students an extended day of 7 am - 6 pm – a convenient option for working parents.
- Our award-winning, no-cut sports program is offered to students in grades 5 - 8, including volleyball, football, cross country, basketball and track.
- Representative students from grades 5 - 8 can be part of Student Council, which sponsors student and community outreach activities.
- The award-winning “Mathletes” Math Club is lead by Mrs. Phelan in Middle School.
- Liturgical Choir includes students in grades 5 - 8; its role is leading the congregation in song at all-school Mass.
- Hand Bell Choir is open to students in grades 5 - 8; it performs at some all-school Masses and at Christmas.
- Students can train to be altar servers in 5th grade; they serve weekend, school Masses, weddings and funerals.
- Band is offered to students beginning in 4th grade; it is incorporated into the school day.
- Boy/Girl Scouts are open to all St. Joseph students beginning as early as Kindergarten or 1st grade.
- Grade 4 Spirit Club cheers on school athletic teams at events throughout the year; Keyboarding, Book Club and Writing Club are available in some grades based on parent volunteers.
- School Advisory Board is group that meets monthly with the principal, president and pastor regardingthe policy and progress of the school; nine board members hold positions for three years.
- Parent Forum coordinates volunteers for school programs and special events.
- The Athletic and Booster organization coordinates athletic programs.
Profile last updated: 10/07/2013
Downers Grove Family Life Program
Early Childhood / Day Cares (Christian)0.4 mi | 53 students | Gr. PK-K
Downers Grove Downers Grove Christian School
(Christian)0.5 mi | 199 students | Gr. PK-8
Downers Grove St. Mary Of Gostyn Catholic School
(Roman Catholic)0.7 mi | 564 students | Gr. K-9
Downers Grove Avery Coonley School
Special Program Emphasis1 mi | 378 students | Gr. PK-8
Downers Grove Highland Avenue KinderCare
Early Childhood / Day Cares1.2 mi | 24 students | Gr. NS-PK