St Philomena School
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten - 8|
|Total Students||414 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||5% (IL School Avg.: 37%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||18:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|Average Class Size||22 students|
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||See website for tuition information.|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Track and Field||Volleyball|
|Total Extracurriculars||11 extracurriculars|
|After School Study Club||Annual Spring Musical|
|Band Instruction||Children's Choir|
|Leadership Academy||Lego League Robotics Team|
|Scholastic Bowl Team||Scouts|
|Speech Team||Student Council (6-8)|
- Strong faith formation program which intertwines daily instruction, prayer, and reflection to deepen students\' Catholic identity while increasing their awareness of different cultures and faith.
- K-8 Writing/Composition Program developed by and supported through the work of Lucy Calkins and the \"Teachers Reading and Writing Project\" of Teachers College Columbia University. Students in K-8 receive daily instruction and practice in writing, plus are exposed to a variety of literary genres.
- Strong Math program in which K-5th grade students receive the Math in Focus program (a Singapore Approach) and 6th-8th grade receive instruction in Pre-Algebra and Algebra.
- Illinois Virtual School is offered to qualifying middle school students in math.
- Technology embedded throughout the curriculum to maximize learning opportunities in all content areas. Supported through: a Technology Integration Specialist, 5 Computer on Wheels laptop mobile labs, 6 stationary computers/classroom, and RenWeb (a web-based system allowing parents to access lesson plans, homework, grades, announcements, etc.).
- Measures of Academic Progress standardized testing.
- New science lab coming to the middle school in 2010-11, which will be the foundation for building a premier STEM (Science/Technology/Engineering/Mathematics) middle school instructional program.
- Rosetta Stone Foreign Language Program offered to students in grades 3rd-8th.
- Fine Arts offerings, including weekly lessons in both art and math.
- Modified block scheduling for middle school students to provide a structure that increases student learning and helps develop key work habits, such as goal setting, planning, priortizing, and managing time.
Profile last updated: 07/19/2011
Gr. PK-8 | 0 mi. away
Gr. Nursery School-PK | 0.3 mi. away
Gr. PK-6 | 0.6 mi. away
Gr. PK-K | 0.6 mi. away
Gr. PK-12 | 1 mi. away
Gr. K-9 | 1.2 mi. away