- Shades Mountain Christian School (SMCS) is an independent, community, Christian School serving grades K3 through 12.
- The mission of SMCS is to assist Christian parents in their responsibility to equip students for life through academics and service to Christ.
- The school, founded in 1974, is fully accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and is a member of the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- SMCS offers academics, athletics and arts all with a Christian worldview.
- We are moving to a new location in summer of 2017.
- We have purchased what is currently Riverchase Middle School to be our new location.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||336 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||38 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP English|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(jeans, khakis, collared shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please visit smcs.org Admissions page for 2016-2017 tuition & fee schedule|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Beth Buyck|
|Admissions Associate||Bekah Hayes|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,
Cheering, Cross Country,
Softball, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chapel Committee, Concert Band, Concert Choir, Jazz Band, Marching Band, National Honor Society, Percussion Ensemble, Prom Committee, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Theatre, Yearbook, Youth Basketball, Youth Cross Country Concert Band, Concert Choir, Jazz Band, Marching Band, Prom Committee, Theatre, Yearbook, Chapel Committee,
National Honor Society,
Youth Cross Country,
- Shades Mountain Christian School (SMCS is an independent, community, Christian School serving grades K3 through 12. The school provides a strong academic program with a Christian worldview. The mission of SMCS is to assist Christian parents in their responsibility to equip students for life through academics and service to Christ. The school, founded in 1974, is fully accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and is a member of the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). We are moving to a new location, currently Riverchase Middle School, in summer of 2017.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BirminghamGrades: PK-12 | 1887 students
2204 Briarwood Way
Birmingham, AL 35243
GardendaleGrades: PK-12 | 376 students
2649 Decatur Hwy
Gardendale, AL 35071
BessemerGrades: PK-12 | 354 students
1705 4th Ave Sw
Bessemer, AL 35022
BirminghamGrades: NS-12 | 357 students
1500 Heritage Place Drive
Birmingham, AL 35210
BirminghamGrades: 9-12 | 20 students
3821 Lorna Rd Ste 118-120
Birmingham, AL 35244
In an area of big schools - this small school is well worth a look. Our kids have been at SMCS for 5 years & it's a blessing to know our kids friends AND their parents. We enjoy a diverse community of Christians in a setting other than church. Academics are strong, with nurturing teachers that love on kids in the lower grades and mentor the older students. The principal appears to have made diffiicult decisions recently in a committment to raising academic standards with a focus on quality hiring decisions in math & science. The theatre and band productions are immensly enjoyable when you know the performers. In athletics, SMCS provides opportunities for kids to play multiple sports while at the same time having the flexibility to be a part of other activities. Numerous student-athletes in surrounding shools work tirelessly year-round from their middle school days through high school in hopes of making one sports team at the super-sized schools. Unfortunately, a lot of those kids burn out or loose their passion for the game just as they peak at a cost of never exploring the arts. The well-rounded multi-sport student athlete of 20 years ago is back at SMCS!
- Posted by Parent - RnSFa
We move our kids from another good Christian school to Shades Mountain Christian a few years ago and have been very thankful we did. The academic experience and Biblical foundation have been just as good but the kids have thrived socially in the smaller class environment and with the more diverse population of students.
- Posted by Parent - tlatk
High expectations of students and teachers who know their content and encourage students academically and spiritually are the qualities we have experienced since our children started there 2 years ago. Small class sizes are also a huge deal!
- Posted by Parent - Ashmc