Grades: NS-4 | 82 students
- Tuckahoe Montessori School (TMS) has served Richmond children and their families for over thirty years.
- Tuckahoe Montessori School offers three programs to meet the educational and developmental needs of children between the ages of 18-months and nine years.
- In each classroom, students benefit from a purposeful implementation of the Montessori method, growing in autonomy within a framework that emphasizes peaceful order, fosters the natural curiosity that leads to learning, and guides exploration of increasingly challenging concepts.
- TMS is committed to communicating the philosophy of the classrooms to parents who may be concerned that a Montessori school offers too much or two little freedom to children.
- Both concerns were actually addressed by Dr. Montessori: "To give a child liberty is not to abandon him to himself." At TMS, children are offer a guided freedom, one that inspires while reinforcing self-possession and peaceful interactions.
- Parents of TMS students are provided numerous opportunities to learn more about the Montessori Method, to gain insight into their child`s daily experiences and to discover strategies for communicating Montessori principles in the home.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other Montessori association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-4|
|Total Students||82 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Amanda Edmondson|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Gymnastics, SoccerGymnastics, Soccer,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chinese, Gymnastics, Soccer, Spanish Chinese, Gymnastics, Soccer, Spanish,|
The TMS Core Commitments:
- Purposeful implementation of the Montessori method, in the hands of experienced and loving teacher/guides, to tap the extraordinary gifts of each child
- A school culture anchored in trust, kindness, and the Montessori concept of education as the "unfolding" of intelligence and individuality within a calm and ordered environment
- The importance of intercultural awareness and understanding as children explore geography, literature, and languages
- Supportive structure for families
- A time-tested instructional approach to reading and mathematics that results in a comfortable and natural mastery of concepts
Profile last updated: 05/12/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
11600 Gayton Rd
Richmond, VA 23238
RichmondGrades: PK-8 | 190 students
3400 Stony Point Rd
Richmond, VA 23235
RichmondGrades: PK-5 | 126 students
9307 Quioccasin Rd
Richmond, VA 23229
RichmondGrades: K-8 | 101 students
3809 Patterson Ave
Richmond, VA 23221
RichmondGrades: KG-12 | 145 students
6255 Warwick Rd
Richmond, VA 23224
March 23, 2017
Teachers need to learn how to be Facebook savvy. Otherwise Facebook will cause them lots of problems.
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.