Grades: PK-10 | 575 students
- 82nd Street Academics is a non-profit educational institution with the mission to help students prepare for college.
- Our programs complement public education so that students, regardless of home language, will have equal access to quality higher education.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-10|
|Total Students||575 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||65 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||20 students|
Finances and Admission
|Tuition Notes||Each program has its own tuition rate and the UPK program and Renaissance After School Program are free.|
National avg.: 85%
- 82nd Street Academics is a non-profit school in Jackson Heights, New York. We offer Pre-School, Dual Language 3 and 4 year old Classes (Spanish/English), Universal Pre-Kindergarten, Summer School, After School, and Music and Chess programs.
- Private Pre-School- 82nd Street Academics provides a private Pre-School program which focuses on the “whole” child. The program develops pre-math skills, pre-reading activities, art, music, gross- and fine-motor skills, and social skills to be ready for Universal PreK in the following year. We use resources from Creative Curriculum and Early Start. There are variations of Full Day or Half Day programs
- Students can attend Pre-School two, three, or five days a week.
- The Pre-School program is open to three-year old students.
- Dual Language 3 and 4 year old Classes (Spanish/English) Our teacher has the Dual Language license endorsement and starts with English 2 days per week and Spanish 3 days per week. The instruction is immersive and fun for the kids. The 4 year old class can be paired with the free Universal Prek program as well.
- Universal Pre-Kindergarten - The 82nd Street Academics UPK program is open to students who are starting Kindergarten the following fall. It is a FREE program sponsored by the New York City Department of Education – qualified students are accepted without cost to the family.
- The UPK program is open five days a week from Monday through Friday.
- Spaces in the UPK program are limited and registration for September begins during the previous spring.
- Kindergarten Readiness option that adds 7 hours to the morning UPK program. Students spend more time on learning domains introduced in the morning program. This program prepares students for excellence in Kindergarten - public or private.
- After School Achievement Club - The 82nd Street Academics After School Achievement Club is a place where school age students (Kindergarten through 5th Grade) can complete their daily homework, get a hot meal, and do projects with friends. The program begins every day (Monday through Friday) at 3:00 PM and is open until 6:30 PM. There are clubs at the 810 campus, PS 69, and PS 148
- Enrichment classes include Music and Drama
- Private piano classes and Chess Classes. Taught in 15 week blocks.
- Summer School - The summer session will run five days a week for eight weeks (with the exception of July 4th, Independence Day). 82nd Street Academics offers a full-day package deal and also half day sessions. Contact 82nd Street Academics with questions.
- Academic achievement classes - The morning session of the summer program at 82nd Street Academics helps children get a head start on the grade that they will attend in the fall using the Common Core Learning Standards Morning Academic Classes start at 9:00 AM and end at approximately 12:00 PM. Children work with trained group leaders to practice math and language arts. We give homework every day so students can practice their newly-learned skills. Students who are part of the Summer School are better-equipped to meet the academic challenges of the upcoming school year, and are more confident in their own abilities. Monthly progress reports keep you up to date with your child's development. Group leaders are available throughout the summer to discuss your child's learning. The program ends with a special ceremony starring your children!
- "Learning in action" lab - The afternoon session, our "Learning in Action" Lab, offers a supplement to the morning session. Children use and reinforce the Common Core Learning Standards as they participate in hands-on activities centered on our summer theme. Classes start at 1:00 PM (after lunchtime) and end at 4:00 PM. Reading, writing, logic and critical thinking skills are incorporated throughout classes in Creative Writing and Drama, "Math 4 Life" lab, Health and Physical Education, Media Studies, and Music. Group Leaders keep topics interesting and fresh so that students stay highly motivated. Students will go on educational field trips as well as enjoy special visitors throughout the summer.
- Enrollment in the "Learning in Action" Lab is the perfect accompaniment to the academic program, and families are encouraged to take advantage of a package deal and register for both courses. Full-day and early drop-off options are also available for the summer! Contact 82nd Street Academics for more details.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Jackson HeightsGrades: NS-12 | 281 students
3316 79th St
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
East ElmhurstGrades: NS-5 | 171 students
3220 108th St
East Elmhurst, NY 11369
SunnysideGrades: PK-8 | 473 students
4330 48th st apt F1
Sunnyside, NY 11104
Forest HillsGrades: PK-12 | 245 students
11917 Union Tpke
Forest Hills, NY 11375
Forest HillsGrades: PK-6 | 180 students
6704 Austin St
Forest Hills, NY 11375
March 23, 2017
Teachers need to learn how to be Facebook savvy. Otherwise Facebook will cause them lots of problems.
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.