Top New York Private Schools
- For the 2019-20 school year, there are 2,079 top private schools in New York, serving 494,077 students.
- The average private school tuition is $12,594 for elementary schools and $24,400 for high schools (view national tuition averages).
- The average acceptance rate is 77% (view national acceptance rates).
- Minority enrollment is 28% and the student:teacher ratio is 11:1.
Rippowam Cisqua School Photo - Rippowam Cisqua School (Upper Campus): Middle school students seek structured opportunities for adventure and discovery, while still yearning to play freely. A specialized curriculum for ninth graders accelerates their academic and leadership skills. Our new multimillion-dollar Upper Campus, built specifically for students age 11-15, provides the best environment to navigate this dynamic period of academic and emotional development.
BASIS Independent Brooklyn Photo - Our Early Learning Program (PreK-1, PreK-2, and kindergarten) fosters discovery, independence, and a love of learning.
Battery Park Montessori Photo - Our small student-teacher ratios provide rich opportunities for personalized learning and one-one-one support from Montessori-certified teachers with years of experience in child development.
Winston Preparatory School NY Photo - Winston Prep students participate annually in an all-school Art Show.
Professional Children's School Photo - At Professional Children's School, you don't have to choose between a great education and your dreams.
Lawrence Woodmere Academy Photo - Lawrence Woodmere Academy (LWA"), founded in 1912, is an elite Pre-K through 12, non-sectarian, private, College Preparatory School located in Woodmere, NY.
The Stony Brook School Photo - The Stony Brook School, founded in 1922, is an independent college preparatory school (grades 7-12) that exists to challenge young men and women to know Jesus Christ as Lord, to love others as themselves, and to grow in knowledge and skill, in order that they may serve the world through their character and leadership. "Character Before Career"
Top New York Private Schools by County (2019-20)
- County# Schools# Students% Minority
- 34 Schools4,991 Students20% Minority
- 6 Schools416 Students10% Minority
- 99 Schools33,688 Students72% Minority
- 17 Schools2,329 Students14% Minority
- 5 Schools411 Students14% Minority
- 10 Schools615 Students14% Minority
- 12 Schools671 Students13% Minority
- 8 Schools1,224 Students11% Minority
- 3 Schools195 Students18% Minority
- 7 Schools721 Students12% Minority
- 3 Schools420 Students14% Minority
- 7 Schools480 Students7% Minority
- 3 Schools122 Students97% Minority
- 44 Schools6,183 Students24% Minority
- 96 Schools22,051 Students19% Minority
- 9 Schools762 Students17% Minority
- 5 Schools288 Students3% Minority
- 6 Schools596 Students8% Minority
- 2 Schools77 Students5% Minority
- 2 Schools135 Students1% Minority
- 7 Schools1,557 Students30% Minority
- 399 Schools115,093 Students19% Minority
- 3 Schools133 Students3% Minority
- 3 Schools357 Students10% Minority
- 3 Schools292 Students8% Minority
- 69 Schools10,741 Students24% Minority
- 4 Schools319 Students7% Minority
- 150 Schools42,806 Students24% Minority
- 227 Schools62,329 Students36% Minority
- 17 Schools2,181 Students11% Minority
- 13 Schools1,666 Students18% Minority
- 39 Schools5,949 Students19% Minority
- 8 Schools483 Students9% Minority
- 42 Schools19,085 Students12% Minority
- 2 Schools23 Students5% Minority
- 4 Schools382 Students4% Minority
- 6 Schools265 Students14% Minority
- 10 Schools896 Students22% Minority
- 218 Schools54,825 Students47% Minority
- 16 Schools3,149 Students20% Minority
- 54 Schools14,811 Students18% Minority
- 77 Schools25,960 Students6% Minority
- 11 Schools824 Students15% Minority
- 18 Schools1,831 Students8% Minority
- 14 Schools2,247 Students27% Minority
- 1 Schools10 Students40% Minority
- 5 Schools255 Students15% Minority
- 8 Schools695 Students11% Minority
- 96 Schools19,506 Students30% Minority
- 8 Schools834 Students15% Minority
- 3 Schools122 Students4% Minority
- 9 Schools644 Students27% Minority
- 16 Schools1,710 Students14% Minority
- 3 Schools479 Students5% Minority
- 4 Schools73 Students3% Minority
- 5 Schools179 Students4% Minority
- 122 Schools28,271 Students35% Minority
- 4 Schools235 Students2% Minority
- 19 Schools514 Students4% Minority
What happens if my child suddenly takes sick before the end of the school year? What if he is expelled? Answers here.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.