Honoring its founder's vision, Emma Willard School proudly fosters in each young woman a love of learning, the habits of an intellectual life, and the character, moral strength, and qualities of leadership to serve and shape her world.
- Top Ranked NY School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 356 students
- Yearly Tuition: $69,970
- Acceptance rate: 35%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 1 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Emma Willard School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Learning Difference Programs
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Details
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 40%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
Average SAT score
Average ACT score
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Feb. 1 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Day tuition = $43,600 Financial Aid average boarding award is $48,043; average day award is $25,100
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Amnesty International, Fair Trade, FOCUS (Christian Group), International Club, Junior Singing Group (JSG), Literary Magazine (The Triangle), Math League, Mock Trial, Model UN, School Newspaper (The Clock), Science Olympiad, Student Council, Twelve Tones (Senior Singing Group), Yearbook (The Gargoyle)
Club or Organization:
Debate Team, Pride Alliance, Robotics
Club or Organization:
Debate Team, Pride Alliance, Robotics
- LOOK WITHIN, SEE BEYOND. What drives your passion to learn? Are you an artist? A scientist? An athlete? A combination of all? At Emma Willard School, we invite you to embrace your passion and use it to shape your high school learning experience and beyond.
- As the nation's first institute of higher learning for young women, Emma Willard School has been a leader in girls' education for over 200 years. Our founder, Emma Hart Willard, was a bold advocate for access to education, wanting young women to have more opportunities than what was available to her at that time. She was empowered to want more for herself and others and set forth for a life of extraordinary impact. Since 1814, we have been challenging independent school students to question, reason, learn, grow, and lead.
- Whether you already know your passion, or are still finding your way, Emma Willard School empowers you to discover your authentic self. With a balance of academic rigor, personalized opportunities to grow and create, and a focus on individual wellness, Emma Willard School prepares boarding and day students in grades 9 through 12 to go out and impact their world.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jane Fonda - Activist and Actor
- Kirsten Gillibrand '84 - U.S. Senator for NY State
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1832) - Author, lecturer, and chief philosopher of the woman's rights and suffrage movements.
- Eunice Newton Foote (1838) - American scientist, inventor, and women's rights campaigner who discovered the greenhouse effect
- Jean Camper Cahn '52 - Lawyer and social activist who co-founded the Urban Law Institute and Antioch School of Law
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Emma Willard School cost?
Emma Willard School's tuition is approximately $69,970 for private students.
What is the acceptance rate of Emma Willard School?
The acceptance rate of Emma Willard School is 35%, which is lower than the national average of 79%. Emma Willard School's acceptance rate is ranked among the top private schools in New York with low acceptance rates.
Who are famous alumni from Emma Willard School?
Emma Willard School famous alumni include: Jane Fonda, Kirsten Gillibrand '84, Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1832), Eunice Newton Foote (1838) and Jean Camper Cahn '52.
Does Emma Willard School offer a summer program?
Yes, Emma Willard School offers a summer program. Visit their summer school page for more information.
What sports does Emma Willard School offer?
Emma Willard School offers 17 interscholastic sports: Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball and Winter Track. Emma Willard School is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in New York for most sports offered.
What is Emma Willard School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Emma Willard School?
The application deadline for Emma Willard School is Feb. 1 / rolling (applications are due on Feb. 1 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Endorse Emma Willard School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
Examining the Current State of Vouchers in Arizona
This comprehensive article explores the current state of voucher programs in Arizona, examining the relevant state laws, pros and cons, and their impact on education. Gain authoritative insights into the Empowerment Scholarship Accounts (ESA) program, equity concerns, and the ongoing debate surrounding educational choice in Arizona.
Volunteering at Your Children's Private School
Discover the many meaningful ways parents can get involved at their children's private school and make a positive impact on the educational journey. From PTA involvement to sharing specialized skills, find out how your contributions can strengthen the school community.