Tel: (518) 523-3357
Northwood School Photo #2 - Aerial view of Northwood School's campus setting in Adirondack Park. Lake Placid, Mirror Lake, and Mackenzie Mountain just beyond.
Northwood School Photo #3 - Students taking part in the annual activity fair during the start of school.
Northwood School Photo #4 - With an average class size of 10, Northwood offers a personalized approach to each students' education.
Northwood School Photo #5 - Northwood's musicians and vocalists perform throughout the year. All experience levels are welcome to participate.
Northwood School Photo #6 - Northwood's campus is just around the lake from Main Street Lake Placid. This provides access to the local activities and eateries which are very popular on the weekends.
Northwood School Photo #7 - With three full sized rinks, the Lake Placid Olympic Center serves as home ice for Northwood's boys' and girls' ice hockey teams.
Northwood School Photo #8 - Whiteface Mountain is just 10 minutes from Northwood's campus. Ski racers and recreational skiers have access to the mountain all winter.
Northwood School Photo #9 - Students enjoy frequent opportunities to explore the Adirondack Mountains which surround Northwood's campus. Here students enjoy the view after a hike to the summit of Whiteface Mountain as part of Mountain Day.
- Northwood School is a nationally recognized private boarding and day school located in the world-renowned Olympic destination of Lake Placid, New York.
- Founded in 1905, Northwood School is among the nation`s top boarding schools for quality education, elite sport, college placement, and innovative educational programming.
- Northwood's student body is comprised of 190+ students from around the United States and the world, 85% of whom live on campus.Northwood School boasts a student to faculty ratio of 5:1, with an average class size of 10 students.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||190 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||32 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Number of AP Courses||10 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Advanced Placement Macroeconomics, Advanced Placement Psychology, Advanced Placement World History, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP US History|
|Average SAT score||1100|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Average Percentile SSAT||50%|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants and collared shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$62,000|
|Tuition Notes||$62,000 Boarding $36,300 Day $1,630 International Student Fee $4,700 ESL|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$40,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Brad D'Arco|
|Admissions Associate||Elenor Mandigo|
|Endowment Size||$10 million|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Black Student Union, Community Service Club, International Student Council, Robotics Team, Sustainability Club, Yearbook Committee
Arts and Music Programs:
Band Program, Drama Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Intramural Soccer, Outing Club, Recreational Skiing
- Northwood School is a nationally recognized private boarding and day school located in the world-renowned destination of Lake Placid, New York, host of the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympics. Founded in 1905, Northwood School`s diverse student body is comprised of 190 students from all parts of the United States and the world. In addition to offering regular level, Honors and A.P. courses in every academic discipline, Northwood`s innovative curriculum also features several signature academic programs that distinguish its graduates in the college admission process. As a result, Northwood`s graduates consistently earn opportunities to continue their academic and athletic careers at some of the most selective colleges and universities in the United States and around the world. In addition to its historic campus, Northwood School takes advantage of the unique facilities and unmatched beauty of the Adirondacks to provide its students with an academic and athletic experience that is unmatched at the secondary school level.
- For students and their families that are considering an independent boarding school experience, Northwood School is the independent boarding school that in addition to offering the comprehensive traditional college-prep curriculum found at all independent schools, Northwood School also provide students with four distinct academic programs:Innovation and Design Thinking, Entrepreneurship, the L.E.A.P. program and a Learning Center as well as a wide ranging co-curricular program that includes competitive athletics. Rather than providing instances for "hands on" learning, Northwood School students engage in "first hand experiences" that not only create outstanding college options but provide them with the skills necessary to be successful at and beyond the collegiate level.
- Northwood School`s commitment to excellence in academic programming will soon extend into a new, progressive 12,000+ square foot facility in downtown Lake Placid. The Innovation Hub at Northwood School will provide a flexible, open classroom and event space. It will be a center for real-world application, creative thinking andcommunity collaboration, providing a hub for modern day learning.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Gill Grades: 9-12 | 650 students
One Lamplighter Way
Gill, MA 01354
(413) 498-3227 133.9 9-12
- Hoosick Grades: 8-12 | 194 students
14 Pine Valley Rd
Hoosick, NY 12089
(518) 686-7331 102.7 8-12
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Here are a dozen or so girls' schools' public thoughts about themselves and their missions.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.