- Hoosac School, founded in 1889, is a coeducational, college preparatory school.
- Our aim is to develop the character, spirit, mind, and body of its students, to foster independence and self discipline, and to motivate them to develop to their full potential for success in college and for full, productive, and intelligent lives.
- At Hoosac, students are encouraged to do their best and are given the necessary support to help them in their studies.
- Teachers are dedicated to insuring that students gain a complete understanding of the subject matter.
- Classes are very small and communication between teachers and students is excellent.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$10,000|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Includes room and board, 3 meals each day, and all classes.|
|Total Students||194 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||27 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|Number of AP Courses||17 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, English, European History, US History|
|Average SAT score||1231|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Business Professional and Business Casual)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$52,000|
|Tuition Notes||Additional fees: $1,700 for books, laundry, damage deposit, safe fee.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$21,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Ryan J. Grant|
|Admissions Associate||Ricardo Canto Pereira|
|Endowment Size||$0.500 million|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
E-Sports, Outdoor Club, Ski & Snowboard Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Music Club, Theatre/Drama Club
- Hoosac students receive individual attention with a 7:1 student/teacher ratio. The structured setting and proactive advisor program provide support to an internationally diverse student body. The college-preparatory curriculum includes preparation for AP tests, the SAT/ACT and an ESL program for non-English speakers. Facilities include a technology lab, athletic center with indoor pool, observatory, and arts center. The rural campus setting is ideal for camping, mountain biking, skiing and snowboarding. Hoosac fields strong teams in many sports and is represented especially well in ice hockey, basketball having won New England Championships in 2007 (Ice Hockey) and 2012 & 2013 in Boys Basketball. Boys Ice Hockey has won back-to-back Holt Conference Championships while Boys Lacrosse recently won the Division 3 NEPSAC Champsionship.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Houghton Grades: 6-12 | 94 students
9790 Thayer St
Houghton, NY 14744
(585)567-8115 247.4 6-12
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.