The Masters School
The Masters School Photo #2 - Students at The Masters School engage in a rigorous college preparatory curriculum with close contact with a dedicated faculty and opportunities to explore new horizons.
The Masters School Photo #3 - At The Masters School, all of our classes are taught around Harkness tables.
The Masters School Photo #4 - Athletics are valued as a particularly important aspect of a student's education at The Masters School.
The Masters School Photo #5 - Community service is at the heart of The Masters School's mission, and students are provided with regular opportunities to participate in charity fund-raisers, clothing drives, visits to soup kitchens, and dozens of other events.
The Masters School Photo #6 - Bussing is offered to and from numerous local towns and cities including New York City.
The Masters School Photo #7 - Weekend time is your time! You can sign up for a variety of activities, including: New York City attractions, kayaking, skiing, movies, shopping, Broadway Shows, and so much more...
Founded in 1877, The Masters School is a leading co-ed day, 5 and 7-day boarding school for grades 5-12 located on a beautiful 96-acre campus.
Masters is distinguished by its renowned teaching method, an accessible residential faculty and welcoming and inclusive culture. Students find their own voices through the School`s transformative seminar-style learning approach, which builds collaborative and confident learners.
All students benefit from the boarding school environment featuring true global diversity (students from 30 countries) and a vibrant 24-7 campus life with the majority of faculty living on campus.
The result is students who are empowered to realize their greatest potential across academic, athletic and artistic disciplines, and emerge ready for success in college, career and life.
- Top Ranked NY School
- Grades: 5-12
- Enrollment: 695 students
- Average class size: 14 students
- Application Deadline: Dec. 15 / Feb. 15
- Source: Verified school update
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 40%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP European History, AP French Language, AP Latin, AP Music Theory, AP Physics C Mechanics, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP United States History
Average SAT score
Average ACT score
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Dec. 15 / Feb. 15
Middle School $46,600; Upper School Day $47,200; Boarding $65,700
% on Financial Aid
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Anime Club, Art Guild, Classics Club, Community Government, Cooking Club, Debate Club, Dobbs 16 (co-ed a cappella), Dobbs Athletic Association, Dohters (female a cappella), Film Club, Football Club, French Club, Gaming Club, Gay-Straight Alliance, Glee Club, Gold Key, Improv Club, International Club, Knitting Club, Latin Club, Latinos Unidos, Masterpieces (yearbook), MISH (community service), Model UN, Muse (dance), One Love, Onyx, Operation Smile, Outdoor Club, Panache (literary magazine), Philosophy Club, Phoenix (drama), REEF (environmental club), SADD, Spanish Club, The Naturals (male a cappella), Touring Talent, Tower (newspaper), Ubuntu (community service), Urban Connection (dance)
- Admission Deadline: Upper & Middle School Day Students- December 15, Upper School Boarding Students- February 15, 2019
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Kara DioGuardi - Kara Elizabeth DioGuardi is an American singer-songwriter, record producer, music publisher, A&R executive, composer and TV personality. She writes music primarily in the light pop-rock, dance, and R&B genres. DioGuardi has worked with many popular a
- Nancy Kissinger - Nancy Sharon Maginnes Kissinger is a philanthropist, and the second wife of former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. She was a long-time aide to New York governor Nelson Rockefeller before her marriage, recommended to him in 1964 by her future
- Nia DaCosta - Nia DaCosta is a director and screenwriter. DaCosta is the first Black female director to debut a film at #1 ("Candyman") and the youngest filmmaker to direct a Marvel film.
- Alex Pall - Alex Pall is a musician best known as part of the duo The Chainsmokers.
- Marin Alsop - Marin Alsop is a conductor and violinist. She is currently music director of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, as well as, chief conductor of the Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra, and the Ravinia Festival.
Source: Verified school update
I graduated with Masters in 1977, it's the centennial year. My education there afforded me opportunities I would otherwise have missed out on. I loved the small class sizes, the accessibility of teachers, the community on campus as well as Dobbs Ferry itself. I love this school and will always consider myself very fortunate that my parents allowed me to decide where I wanted to go to school. I have never regretted my choice.
The Masters School offers a rigorous environment for students to learn and participate in various activities. Besides having exceptional opportunities to learn, students have the ability to join and Number of Clubs from Dobbs 16. The nationally acclaimed singing group. To Mish, a charity organization that helps anyone that is in need. The Masters School offers excellent athletics with a Number of state of the Art facilities. Masters also has state of the art facilities for science, music, theater, and general classrooms. The Masters school is the place to go.
Endorse The Masters School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
A Timeline of Private School Events and History
What was the first private school? What's the oldest school? What are some of the educational philosophies commonly found? Some answers here.
Suicide Prevention: Caring For Our Young People
At last we have a dedicated phone number for suicide and crisis support. The Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is 988. More about it and suicide prevention here.
Seemingly never-ending school shootings prompted me to find out whether private schools were safer than public schools. Some answers and opinions on the matter here.