The Storm King School
5.00 (6 reviews)
Tel: (845) 534-9860
The Storm King School Photo #9 - Theatre students rehearsing. The Storm King School boats a legendary arts program inside the 230-seat Walter Reade Jr. Theatre
- Founded in 1867, The Storm King School celebrates 150 years of helping students translate potential into success as they prepare for college.
- Located at the peak of Storm King Mountain in the Hudson River Valley, The Storm King School's 60 acre campus is just about an hour north of New York City.
- As an independent co-ed boarding and day school for students in grades 8-12 and PG, we represent 26 countries this year! We are proud to be one of the few schools in the country that has a 5:1 student/faculty ratio with an average class size of 10 students.
- With this great ratio, we are able to focus on providing an individualized educational environment that is both supportive and challenging to each student.
- The SKS education is highly experiential. Our teachers often utilize our surrounding resources of New York City, The Storm King Arts Center, or the 4,000 acre Black Rock Forest across the street and more! Our diverse college preparatory curriculum (including 11 APs - at least 1 in every core subject area) stimulates our students and immerses them in a highly engaging environment.
- Personal growth is provided not only within the academic program but also through championship caliber & no-cut athletics, superb performing, visual and fine arts, a wide variety of extra-curricular and weekend activities, and community living that is "one big family." At SKS, we attribute our success and 100% college acceptance rate to small classes, individualized attention and a nurturing learning environment.
- The Storm King School campus has three academic classroom buildings, computer laboratory, smart boards in each classroom, theatre (230-seat capacity), observatory (with Newtonian telescope), visual arts center (including a state-of-the-art digital design lab and 3D printer), ceramics studio, gymnasium with a wrestling room, cardio fitness center & weight room, fencing studio, dance studio, two athletic fields, two rock climbing walls, six dormitories, beautiful dining hall (with extensive home-cooked menu options and a view that overlooks the majestic Hudson River/Shawangunk Ridge/Catskill Mountain Ranges) and much more!.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Prices vary based on program. https://sks.org/summer-on-the-mountain/|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||184 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||37 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Number of AP Courses||11 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Computer Science, AP Economics: Macro, AP Economics: Micro, AP English, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, Honors British Literature, Honors Humanities, Honors Pre Calculus|
|Average SAT score||1220|
|Average ACT score||23|
|Average Percentile SSAT||70%|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(khaki pants/shorts/skirts options, polo shirt with crest, formal dinner includes blazer and button up)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$59,900|
|Tuition Notes||Boarding: (Room and Board): $59,900 Day: $32,500|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$18,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Marek Pramuka|
|Admissions Associate||Toni Scherrer|
|Endowment Size||$2.5 million|
|Total Sports Offered||23 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Fencing, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Sailing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Weightlifting, WrestlingBallet, Baseball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Lacrosse, Mountain Biking,
Mountaineering, Rock Climbing,
Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||20 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Art Club, Black and Latino Student Union (BLSU), Blue Key (Tour Guides), Community Service Club, Cougar Boosters, Dance Club, Environmental Club, Greenhouse Club, Harry Potter Club, Intersectional Feminism Club, National Honor Society, Student Government, The Quarry Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Stagecraft Club, The Voice (Monthly Online Publication), Theater Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness Club, Hiking Club, Outdoor Adventure, Ski/Snowboarding Club
- The Storm King School inspires students toward academic strength and confidence. We offer a caring faculty and community that embrace character, balance and trust.
- At The Storm King School, teaching and learning go hand in hand. Our expectation is that you will do a lot of both. This isn't a place to sit back and watch. It's a place to contribute actively, to take some risks, to stretch yourself. How else can you achieve your goals
- We prepare our students to lead productive lives in the global community through cultural exchange, a huge benefit of our program. About 45% of our student population is international, hailing from Angola, Belize, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Italy, Korea, Lebanon, Nigeria, Philippines, Rwanda, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Taiwan, Thailand, Ukraine, Vietnam and beyond.
- Our Open House schedule runs throughout the year, or you can make an appointment to visit anytime. We invite you to tour the campus, visit classes, talk to students and teachers. Most importantly, imagine yourself as a part of this community, preparing for college and for life in an environment that values each student.
- Student for a Day visits are highly encouraged. Come join us for classes, lunch, a chat with our admissions team and meet teachers and coaches!
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cornwall On Hudson Grades: 8-12 | 100 students
78 Academy Ave
Cornwall On Hudson, NY 12520
(845) 534-3710 1.8 8-12
- Stony Brook Grades: 7-12 | 412 students
1 Chapman Parkway
Stony Brook, NY 11790
(631) 751-1800 57.2 7-12
- New Milford Grades: 9-12 | 328 students
New Milford, CT 06776
(860) 210-3800 32.9 9-12
- Deerfield Grades: 9-12 | 648 students
7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
(413) 774-1400 105.9 9-12
- Gill Grades: 9-12 | 650 students
One Lamplighter Way
Gill, MA 01354
(413) 498-3227 116.4 9-12
The Storm King School is an amazing place and one of the best things to have happened to me. The diversity of the students gives you the opportunity to discover many new things and enrich your high school experience. The food is the best high school food I have ever tasted. From the beautiful views to the wonderful people I think the Storm King School is a marvelous place and opportunity for anyone who attends.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Scott Rolon
The Storm King School is more than I could have imagined for my daughter. The school and it's amazing faculty have inspired and opened her eyes. She has become extremely independent, more socially responsible and conscientious, confident and excited about her future. The campus is a beautiful backdrop that is used often for teaching and the connection the school has with the beautiful Hudson Valley and it's community is wonderful. The importance and benefits of arts is clear at the school and my daughter has greatly benefited from it. The artist and musician in her is able to express and learn thanks to the dedicated music and art teachers. The coaches and the athletic department have done an amazing job building programs that a student athlete such as my daughter find challenging and rewarding. I would highly recommend The Storm King School.
- Posted by Parent - graci
Storm king changed my son's life. By providing a remarkably supportive, nurturing, diverse and yet challenging environment, the school provided exactly what was necessary for him to realize a potential we always knew he had, but previously had not realized. From classes as customized as a single student to a wonderful Arts program to a highly inclusive and competitive Sports program, the school offers far more than one would expect from a small Boarding School. The location is extraordinary for it's access to the beautiful Hudson Valley and yet so close to NYC that my son can easily come home to the city every weekend, though he loves staying every weekend to be a part of the social and diverse framework at the school. I simply love the school and it will always mean a lot to our family.
- Posted by Parent - Dchir
SKS is a Mountaintop Masterpiece. My child has had teachers and staff who encourage her development in all areas. The student body is very friendly and they truly care about one another. My child is happy, she is thriving academically and is making new friends. SKS is a wonderful and safe school to send your child.
- Posted by Parent - mdefr
Storm King is a school that provides a more customized approach to learning in order to bring out the best in each child. The teachers and staff are dedicated to this mission. My son, although very bright, has learning differences. The Mountain Center at SKS helped my son improve his study skills and organization. The wide variety of AP offerings provided the needed academic challenge, while the creative arts program allowed him to pursue his love of music and music engineering. In addition to being captain of a championship wrestling team as well as the crew and lacrosse teams, he was inducted into the national honor society. Overall, my son graduated with amazing confidence and the tools to succeed in college. Storm King is a special place!
- Posted by Parent - hacke
My son has attended Storm King for 5 years and loves it. There is a wonderful music and art program and many sports and activiities to choose from. I highly recommend this school!
- Posted by Parent - pohl
You will encounter COOP, HSPT and TACHS if you are applying to some Roman Catholic high schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.