Oakwood Friends School
Quick Stats (2023)
- Top Ranked NY School
- Grades: 5-12
- Enrollment: 190 students
- Yearly Tuition: $37,275
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 15 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Oakwood Friends School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Academic Committee, Academic World Quest, Animal Rights Club, Anime Club, Book Club, Business Club, Chess Club, Drama Tech, Friends (S.P.I.C.E.) Club, Garden Club, Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA), Judicial Committee, Library Committee, Model United Nations, Nominating Committee, School Spirit Club, Spectrum, Student Government, Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), Table Top Gaming Club, Tea Club, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Calligraphy Club, Dance, Dance/Hip Hop Club, Ensemble, Oakword - Literary & Art Magazine, Orchestra
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness Club, Martial Arts, Parks Club, Running Club, Ski Club, Yoga
- Oakwood focuses on the individual learner, and cultivating a diversified community of students and staff in an atmosphere of mutual respect and enrichment.
- In striving to fulfill its mission, Oakwood Friends School provides rigorous academic preparation based on primary texts and hands-on learning respects the minds and imaginations of students and focuses on intellectual skills and habits.
- Oakwood encourages powerful thinkers whose abilities are nurtured through artful teaching, thoughtful assessment, and individual attention.
- Students and adults within the community learn through inquiry, reflection, and action in daily life; search for truth, valuing the challenge of competing ideas; resolve conflicts through respecting and listening to one another; value and embrace the diversity of cultures and religions in our communities; work for the good of society through active service learning; and act courageously in alignment with core moral beliefs.
- Oakwood fosters an accepting environment based upon the Quaker principle that each individual is worthy and capable of meaningful insight and truth.
- Oakwood provides an array of opportunities in the arts, athletics, and learning experiences beyond the campus to encourage creativity, self-expression, cooperation, and team-work guides students toward the responsibilities of community life and community involvement, through leadership and service both on the campus and beyond creates and sustains a vibrant residential and educational community that embraces students in grades five through twelve as well as faculty and families representing every stage of life and a diverse range of experiences and backgrounds.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Juan Williams - Political Commentator, Journalist, Author
- Hugo Sonnenschein - President Emeritus, University of Chicago
- Mark Strand - Pulitzer Prize winning poet and former Poet Laureate of the United States
- Bonnie Raitt - GRAMMY Acclaimed American Musician, 2022 Lifetime Achievement Award Winner, Political Activist
- Jarvis, Thomas and Peter Rockwell - Sons of painter Norman Rockwell
- Robert Turner - Internationally known ceramist
- Lucretia Mott - Quaker, abolitionist, women's rights activist, and social reformer who helped launch the women's rights movement, the 1st Women's Rights Convention in Seneca Falls, NY, which ignited the fight for women suffrage, earning women the right to vote in the USA
- Jonathan Talbot - An American collage artist, painter, and printmaker. He also is the creator of an innovative collage technique that eliminates liquid adhesives from the collage-assembly process.
- Keith Bunin - Keith Bunin is an American dramatist and screenwriter. More recently known for writing "Onward", the computer-animated urban fantasy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios for Walt Disney Pictures.
- Jennifer Yee - Discovered a planet. Awarded a Carl Sagan Exoplanet Postdoctoral Fellowship by NASA, and currently based at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Oakwood Friends School cost?
Oakwood Friends School's tuition is approximately $37,275 for private students.
Who are famous alumni from Oakwood Friends School?
Oakwood Friends School famous alumni include: Juan Williams, Hugo Sonnenschein, Mark Strand, Bonnie Raitt, Jarvis, Thomas and Peter Rockwell, Robert Turner, Lucretia Mott, Jonathan Talbot, Keith Bunin and Jennifer Yee.
What sports does Oakwood Friends School offer?
Oakwood Friends School offers 10 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Martial Arts, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee and Volleyball.
What is Oakwood Friends School's ranking?
Oakwood Friends School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in New York for: Most extracurriculars offered and Oldest founding date.
When is the application deadline for Oakwood Friends School?
The application deadline for Oakwood Friends School is Feb. 15 / rolling (applications are due on Feb. 15 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Endorse Oakwood Friends School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards