- The mission of New York Military Academy is to develop our cadets in mind, body and character to prepare them for further education and to be effective leaders and responsible citizens.
- Inherent in this mission are the four pillars of success: ACADEMICS: Developing a desire for knowledge every cadet is prepared for college with a program that is individually tailored.
- Qualified, conscientious teachers and small classes offer opportunities and success stories that make the NYMA educational experience so sought after and valued.
- ATHLETICS: Instilling a lifelong appreciation for wellness physical fitness dovetails with developing a cadet's mind and all cadets must participate in sports throughout the school year.
- The academy offers varsity, junior varsity and modified athletic teams that compete in soccer, football, cross country, fencing, volleyball, basketball, swimming, wrestling, baseball, softball, track and field, tennis, golf, lacrosse, drill, rifle and Raiders.
- CHARACTER: Doing the right thing developing good citizens requires developing the essentials of Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring, and Citizenship.
- NYMA's honor code, "A cadet will not lie, cheat, or steal, or tolerate those who do," constantly reinforces the character lessons taught every day, in and outside the classroom.
- LEADERSHIP: Real life leadership lab developing future leaders is one of the unique aspects of the New York Military Academy experience.
- Self-discipline, leadership, and citizenship are integrated into daily life for the Corps of Cadet.
- As cadets move up in rank, they are given increasing levels of responsibility in supervising, leading and instructing subordinates.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Military Colleges and Schools
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Total Students||80 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||2 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus A/B, Statistics,|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$36,190|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Co. John Phelan|
|Admissions Associate||Caroline Petro|
|Total Sports Offered||17 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Drill Team, Fencing, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Drill Team,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Band, Community Service, French Club, Gaming Club, JROTC, LEO Club, Literary Magazine, Math Honor Society, National Honor Society, Outdoors Club, Photography, Raiders, Spanish Club, Student Government, Weekend Off Campus Activities, Yearbook Band, French Club, Gaming Club, JROTC, LEO Club, Outdoors Club, Photography, Raiders, Spanish Club, Yearbook, Community Service,
Math Honor Society,
National Honor Society,
Weekend Off Campus Activities,
- Welcome to New York Military Academy (NYMA). Founded in 1889, it is one of America’s oldest boarding schools and a premier college preparatory school posting a 100% college placement record. Located approximately 60 miles north of New York City, nestled in the picturesque Hudson Valley of New York state, our plush 120 acre campus in the village of Cornwall-on-Hudson has a clean, small town, fresh air atmosphere. We are a co-ed school for grades 7-12 for day and boarding students with a diverse student body drawn from around the world. In this setting NYMA students have been ‘Set Apart for Excellence’ for over 125 years. What makes us unique, and indeed so successful, is our teaching principals. We maintain small class sizes enhancing personalized instruction with a 1:12 teacher to student ratio. Class sizes range from 4 – 15 students and in our rigorous 21st Century curriculum we offer a wide range of courses. Additionally, our teachers are accessible throughout the day. Our faculty come from a broad range of international teaching experience with advanced degrees from well know institutions. They also provide guided study periods at specified times. Our cadets also have designated exclusive study time in their rooms which is protected from outside distractions. The results of this program have prepared our graduates to attend such top schools as George Washington University, North Eastern, Boston University, Penn State, Rutgers and the Service Academies to name but a few. To support and reinforce this strong academic environment, NYMA uses the ‘military model’. Under 24/7 TAC Officer supervision, this model provides the organization, structure, discipline, leadership experience and a reward system that motivates and makes our cadets successful not only here at NYMA but also in college or any other walk of life they may choose. Through the Academy’s ‘Honor Unit of Distinction’ designated Army Junior Reserve Officer Training (JROTC)program, cadets learn such critical skills as time management, organization, task prioritization, critical thinking and self-discipline. As they progress through the system they are rewarded by being assigned (promoted) to positions of increased responsibility and leadership. This leadership development process uniquely enhances the cadet’s communication and interpersonal skills. All of these aspects help the cadet develop into a well-rounded student and contributing citizen. Though we use the military model to help teach our cadets, there is absolutely no military obligation to serve in the military. In fact, most of our graduates use the skills learned here in pursuit of excellence in their civilian endeavors. Our rigorous academic curriculum grounded by a demand for competence in the classical disciplines thoughtfully prepares NYMA graduates that are prepared to seek out extraordinary lives that are ‘Set Apart for Excellence.’NYMA also offers a program incorporating English as a Second Language as well as study abroad opportunities!
- 2013-2014 Open House Dates -http://www.nyma.org/page.cfm?p=556
- If you are interested in finding out more information about the New York Military Academy, you may call:
- Director of Admissions, Colonel John Phelan, 845-534-3710 ext. 4272, email@example.com
- For Chinese (Mandarin): Ming Dong, firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese): Gina Li, email@example.com
- For Korean: Seon Hee Choi: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Spanish: Linda Garcia, email@example.com phone: 702-658-8080,
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Cornwall On HudsonGrades: 8-12 | 182 students
314 Mountain Road
Cornwall On Hudson, NY 12520
MiddletownGrades: PK-12 | 245 students
1790 Route 211 E
Middletown, NY 10941
NewburghGrades: PK-8 | 167 students
24 S Robinson Ave
Newburgh, NY 12550
New YorkGrades: NS-8 | 180 students
111 E 22nd St
New York, NY 10010
PoughkeepsieGrades: PK-12 | 264 students
260 Boardman Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603