The Stony Brook School
The Stony Brook School is committed in its mission to 'challenge young men and women to know Jesus Christ.' Students attend chapel services twice per week throughout the academic year. They hear from guest speakers, Stony Brook faculty, and their peers on a wide range of topics. In addition, students may attend optional events, like our student-led youth group 'Driven.'
In March 2015, we had the grand unveiling of our state-of-the-art S.T.E.M. lab. Our flagship program, Engineering Innovation and Design (EID) challenges students to encompass building, engineering, and programming skills along with their ability to design and print 3D models to find creative and possible solutions to a variety of problems given the resources available.
The Stony Brook School is one of the most diverse boarding schools in the country. With students representing 24 countries and multiple states, our community is a snapshot a global community. Pictured above is our International Festival, an annual event in which we celebrate the many cultures represented on campus through food, music, and dance.
Trips to New York City, outdoor excursions, ski trips, vans to the mall and movies, concerts, dances, open faculty houses, open dorms, and a wide range of community service opportunities highlight a few of the many activities we offer to both our day and boarding students. Student led-clubs are also a central piece of our campus life.
Our Athletic Programs offer both individual and team building opportunities that emphasize camaraderie, dedication, and perseverance. At Stony Brook, athletics are not an extracurricular activity; they are an essential ingredient in our mission to further personal growth and character education. Last year, our 17 sports teams collectively won over a dozen individual and team championships.
Our Visual and Performance Arts program serves as the perfect accent to an SBS education; we believe this plays an integral role in a college preparatory experience. Our theater program is student produced, from the stage to the sound room.
- Founded in 1922 with the motto "Character Before Career," The Stony Brook School educates students in matters of the mind, body, and heart.
- Students are trained to be leaders with integrity and virtue.
- We find that character is essential to the development of the whole person and maintain a spiritual component to the education process. While students are presented with the truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, they are free to maintain their own personal spiritual beliefs.
- We currently have students enrolled at 23 of the top 50 American Colleges/Universities, and 43 of the top 100 (as ranked by Forbes' list of America's Top Colleges 2012). Call to set up a visit! We offer private tours as well as Open House events and Class Visit Days year-round.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
National Association of College Admissions Counselors
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Total Students||370 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||55 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Number of AP Courses||23 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP French, AP Latin, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics 1, AP Physics C, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History, College-level History of Philosophy|
|Average SAT score||1270|
|Average ACT score||29|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$53,700|
|Tuition Notes||Day Students: Grades 7 & 8: $24,700; Grades 9-12: $29,100. 5-day Boarding Students 7 & 8: $45,900. Boarding Students: $53,700. International: $56,400|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Yuri Francis|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBadminton, Baseball,|
Basketball, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||26 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Activities Committee, Admissions Council, Bible Study, Chamber Orchestra, Chamber Singers, Chapel Committee, Chess Team, Class Council, Concert Choir, Culinary Management Training, Cum Laude Society, Dorm Council, Driven, Honor Council, Hunger Education and Response Training Council (H.E.A.R.T.), International Club, Math Club, Mentoring, Prefect Board, Prom Committee, Res Gestae (Yearbook), S.B.F.L. (Intramural Flag Football), Technology Crew, Theatrical Arts Society (T.A.S), Workjob Council, Worship Team|
- Founded in 1922 with the motto "Character Before Career," The Stony Brook School is an independent Christian college preparatory boarding and day school for students in grades 7-12. It exists to challenge young men and women to know Jesus Christ as Lord, to love others as themselves, and to grow in knowledge and skill, in order that they may serve the world through their character and leadership. Distinguished for its academics and set apart by its mission, The Stony Brook School is widely known for its passion for character education. Located on the beautiful north shore of Long Island, the 55-acre campus is home to 370 students. Most of our faculty members live on or near campus. With students from all over the United States and 24 countries, The Stony Brook School has truly emerged as one of the most diverse private schools in the nation. Stony Brook offers a rigorous college preparatory program that combines traditional academics with competitive athletics, training in the visual and performing arts, and a focus on character development set in the framework of Christian belief and example. We currently have students enrolled at 26 of the top 50 American Colleges/Universities, and 43 of the top 100 (as ranked by Forbes' list of America's Top Colleges 2012).
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Saint James Grades: 6-12 | 126 students
541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
(631)686-1600 3 6-12
- West Islip Grades: 9-12 | 1556 students
1170 Montauk Highway
West Islip, NY 11795
(631)587-8000 17.8 9-12
- Brentwood Grades: K-12 | 385 students
1725 Brentwood Road Bldg 2
Brentwood, NY 11717
(631)273-2406 11.9 K-12
- Riverhead Grades: 7-12 | 467 students
1225 Ostrander Ave
Riverhead, NY 11901
(631)727-5900 24.1 7-12
- West Chester Grades: PK-12 | 632 students
975 Westtown Road
West Chester, PA 19382
(610)399-7900 143.7 PK-12
July 16, 2018
As you’ve been doing your boarding school research, you’ve likely seen ISEE/SSAT score submission requirements for your target schools, and understand how important scores are to the admissions process. Unfortunately, tremendous candidates can get bypassed because they were not able to demonstrate what they knew on test day.
July 13, 2018
Schools for the artistically gifted child are in short supply.
June 26, 2018
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.