Stevenson School - Pebble Beach Campus
Tel: (831) 625-8300
Founded in 1952, Stevenson School is a selective coeducational PK-12 boarding and day school with 750 students.
Our mission includes three aims: to prepare students for success in school and life beyond school, to foster their passion for learning and achievement, and to help them shape a joyful life.
The 500-student upper division, comprising grades 9-12, is located in Pebble Beach, where about 60% of students reside in six faculty-supervised dormitories and 40% are day students.
The lower and middle divisions, totaling about 250 students in grades PK-8, are located in Carmel.
As a California school enlightened by a global sensibility, Stevenson is premised on a vision of education as the means by which we discover the world and contribute to its transformation.
We believe that one's education is best pursued in the company of others, for others' benefit as well as one's own. Our Latin motto-Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re ("Gentle in manner, resolute in deed")-inspires humility and perseverance.
Stevenson offers a values-driven community experience influenced by the distinctive natural beauty, ecological biodiversity, and contemplative culture of California's Central Coast.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||62 teachers|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||22 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1346|
|Average ACT score||29|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition costs vary according to a student's enrollment status: boarding or day. Please visit our website for the most up to date information.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Bernadette Sotak|
|Admissions Associate||Trish Collins|
|Endowment Size||$48 million|
|Total Sports Offered||22 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, WeightliftingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Field Hockey, Football,
Lacrosse, Mountain Biking,
Rock Climbing, Sailing,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
Water Polo, Weightlifting,
- At Stevenson, education is grounded in meaning, purpose, and joy. Our community is guided by core values of safety, trust, respect, belonging, and inclusion.
- Our students learn to set and pursue ambitious goals while maintaining balance and developing an authentic understanding of success.
- Our academic program provides challenge, inspiration, and ample support for all students.
- Our athletics program is values-driven, competitive, and welcoming.
- As one of the nation's best PK-12 boarding and day schools, Stevenson provides all students with remarkable advantages tied to the breadth and depth of its program.
- To support its goal of reflecting diversity in its student body, Stevenson provides financial aid to as many qualified students as possible who could not otherwise afford a Stevenson education. All financial aid awards are based exclusively on financial need.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Jose Grades: NS-12 | 2048 students
500 Saratoga Ave
San Jose, CA 95129
(408) 249-2510 50.9 NS-12
- Claremont Grades: 9-12 | 410 students
1175 West Baseline Road
Claremont, CA 91711
(909) 482-5214 291.9 9-12
- Portola Valley Grades: 6-12 | 375 students
302 Portola Road
Portola Valley, CA 94028
(650) 851-8223 56.7 6-12
- Atherton Grades: 6-12 | 807 students
50 Valparaiso Ave
Atherton, CA 94027
(650) 330-2000 61.6 6-12
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.