The Athenian School
- With distinctive meaningful programs, The Athenian School goes far beyond preparing talented and diverse students for outstanding colleges.
- Athenian empowers its graduates to become world citizens with lives of purpose and personal fulfillment.
- Athenian's distinguishing features include: an exciting and challenging academic curriculum, required community service, a required wilderness course, and extraordinary international experiences.
- Other signature programs include: town meeting, an airplane construction project, an award-winning robotics team, and many international opportunities (exchange, service projects, annual conferences, and faculty-led educational and service trips).
- Located on 75 beautiful acres at the base of Mt. Diablo, Athenian is the San Francisco Bay Area's only nonsectarian school with a high school boarding program.
- Virtually 100% attend 4-yr. universities, from all the Univ. of CA campuses, to USC, Stanford, Ivy League campuses, outstanding liberal arts colleges, and a wide range of others.
- Athenian encourages students to find the colleges or universities that best fit them, and many students gain admission to their first-choice college.
- Most importantly, Athenian students develop a deep understanding of themselves, extraordinary skills for achievement, and the compassion to make a positive difference in the world.
The Athenian School places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||490 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||62 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||8 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AB Calculus AP, AP Computer Science, BC Calculus AP, French IV AP, Honors History Seminars (8+), Honors Literature Seminars (10+), Honors Science Courses (6+), LIteratuare AP, Spanish IV AP, Spanish V AP, Statistics AP|
|Average SAT score||1350|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Neat, clean, and in good taste)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$33,516|
|Tuition Notes||26592 Middle School 33516 Upper School day student 53600 Boarding Student (Upper School)|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$17,370|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Christopher Beeson|
|Admissions Associate||Beverly Gomer|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Golf, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBadminton, Baseball,|
Basketball, Cross Country,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||25 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Affinity Groups--cultural/ethnic, Airplane Construction, and international, Debate--Interscholastic competitions, Interim trips--local, International Community Service, International Conferences, International Exchange--study abroad, Interweave--Gay/Straight Alliance, Investment Club, regional, Robotics, Town Meeting--democratic community forum
Arts and Music Programs:
Advanced Band--instrumental ensembles, Advanced Chorus, Band, Chorus, Dance, Round Square International Club, Theater, Theater Tech
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Hiking, Ultimate Frisbee, Weightlifting, Yoga
- Athenian's superb curriculum extends far beyond academic subjects with distinctive programs which develop students as world citizens for successful, meaningful, and purposeful lives. The academic curriculum offers: Interdisciplinary humanities courses in grades 9 and 10, followed by diverse seminars in history and literature Hands-on and applied science options, including: an airplane construction project, an applied science course, and an award-winning robotics team Extensive mathematics offerings beyond our two years of AP calculus courses to statistics and AP statistics Extensive offerings in the arts, including drawing, painting, pottery, stained glass, and photography, theatre, dance, and chorus Honors and/or AP courses accross the curriculum Superb college counseling with an individual plan for each student and counselors dedicated only to college advising Beyond the classroom, Athenian prepares students for the future as world citizens through: Meaningful required community service Extraordinary international opportunities through the Round Square Consortium of 60 schools on six continents: study abroad exchanges, international community service projects, and annual international student conferences Participation in school-governance through town meeting Guidance from a residential community of faculty who live on campus with their families. Faculty know students well, offering advice and support as mentors for each student. The Athenian Wilderness Experience, required of all 11th grade students (a meaningful program developing independence, leadership, and teamwork--NOT a survival course) An amazing an advantageous location which offers a beautiful 75-acre campus at the base of Mt. Diablo as well as easy access to the San Francisco Bay Area Faculty who not only teach academic subjects but mentor students individually as academic advisors, residential program advisors, dormitory parents, coaches, club sponsors, community service trip leaders, and interim trip leaders. Service Learning in which academic courses include hands-on experiential learning with a community service focus. Such programs happen on campus, in the San Francisco Bay Area, and on international trips to such places as Africa, South America, Asia, and Europe. ALUMNI & PARENTS SAY: "With the perfect balance of challenge and nurturing, Athenian teachers encourage you to experience and connect with your studies. I enjoyed academics, athletics, and the arts. I pursued my passions, graduating more certain of myself. I felt intellectually confident in my first college class. Athenian changes lives, and it's graduates affect change in the world." --Sarah Ames, Athenian Class of 2005, Vassar College "Athenian's inclusive environment enables every student to make a mark--whether in academics, performance and art, or clubs and sports. Athenian consistently produces bright, engaging, and confident young adults who are keenly aware that they are citizens of the world." --Deepak and Sherry Kamlani, current parents "Athenian encourages maturation as a full person and student. Athenian created a passion for learning in my son. He attended a Round Square conference in South Africa that profoundly affected him. He wants to help better the world. Jason now attends Stanford. The excitement about ideas ignited at Athenian shone through in his Stanford application. --Tina Levy, alumni parent (Jason, Athenian Class of 2004) "Athenian contributed to my growth as an intellectual and individual. The Athenian community helped me understand my role as a citizen of the world. I will be able to contribute to the greater society thanks to Athenian's rich ideals and supportive atmosphere. I will always cherish and stay connected to this amazing place." --Carmen Jimenez-Robbins, Athenian Class of 2005, Brown Univ. "Athenian teachers respect students, saying, "I not only see your children as they are now, but as what they can become." In my daughter, I now see a strong student, a self-motivated learner, and a well-rounded young lady with the desire to serve and take full responsibility for her life." --Margaret Bam, boarding student parent, South Africa "At Athenian you can do so many things--like start a club or propose a change. The avenues are open for you to explore. Personally, Athenian teachers are open to conversation outside of the classroom, and you get to know people really well. I have learned so much, both inside and outside the classroom. Many students leave Athenian and find college writing easy; Athenian prepared them well." --Kevin Burke, Athenian Class of 2005, University of Pennsylvania School accreditations: WASC, NAIS, CAIS, TABS, SSAT, ERB Sample of notable school alumni: Phillip Bennett - Geology Professor, Univ. of Texas, Austin Benjamin Brandzel - MoveOn.org Student Action Founder Greg Sherwood Cohalen - Emmy Award-Winning Public Broadcasting Anchor Craig Debro - KTVU 2, Oakland, Television News Reporter Joan Haratani - Attorney, San Francisco Bar Association President Carol Moldaw - Noted Poet, Winner of the Field Prize Douglas Perednia - Physician, Business Executive, Entrepreneur Korshied Samad - Journalist, Bureau Chief, Afghan Nonprofit Org. Founder Jackie Thomas - Nike Executive, Athenian School Trustee Andrew Wistrich - United States District Magistrate Judge
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Ojai Grades: 9-12 | 257 students
5025 Thacher Road
Ojai, CA 93023
(805)640-3210 279.4 9-12
- Claremont Grades: 9-12 | 410 students
1175 West Baseline Road
Claremont, CA 91711
(909)482-5214 348.1 9-12
- Concord Grades: 9-12 | 800 students
1133 Winton Dr
Concord, CA 94518
(925)686-5353 8.2 9-12
- Oakland Grades: K-12 | 876 students
4315 Lincoln Ave
Oakland, CA 94602
(510)531-1300 14 K-12
- Ojai Grades: 9-12 | 220 students
12096 N Ventura Avenue
Ojai, CA 93023
(805)646-1464 278.6 9-12
SSAT and ISEE scores are one part of the total picture which most private school admissions staff review. These standardized tests reveal what you have learned in key mastery areas.
Do you think your son has a learning disability? Not sure what to do? A special needs school might be the way to go.
You thought everything was set. The test scores were excellent. She had glowing teacher recommendations. The visit and the interview went well. But the school didn't accept your child. What do you do now?