Junipero Serra School
5.00 (4 reviews)
- Junipero Serra School, located at the historic Carmel Mission (founded by St. Junipero Serra), is inclusive of students from all over the Carmel/Monterey/Salinas area. All JSS teachers are state-certified (or enrolled in a teacher program) and have earned bachelor degrees and higher.
- Junipero Serra School is accredited through the Western Catholic Education Association (WCEA) and recognized by the National Association of Accredited Schools (NAAS).
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dylslexia, Learning Differences|
|Total Students||141 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||17 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,077|
|Tuition Notes||Pre-K: 6400 Kindergarten: 7077 First - Eighth: $6505|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Bowling, Flag Football, Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Bowling,|
Flag Football, Soccer,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
- Junipero Serra School, located at the historic Carmel Mission (founded by St. Junipero Serra), is inclusive of students from all over the Carmel/Monterey/Salinas area. All JSS teachers are state-certified (or enrolled in a teacher program) and have earned bachelor degrees and higher. Grades preschool through 5 are self-contained with teachers exchanging classes when appropriate. Grades 6, 7, and 8 are departmentalized with a teacher serving as both a homeroom teacher and subject specific teacher.The rigorous curriculum meets the California State Standards and is designed to provide the students with high engagement in all subjects, while inspiring them to seek academic success in high school and at the university level. The JSS grade level expectations are based on the California K 12 Learning Standards issued by the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction. Junipero Serra School takes pride in offering a challenging curriculum of instruction in all subject areas. Curriculum subject areas include religion, English/language arts (reading, writing, spelling, speaking, listening), mathematics, social studies (history, geography, civics), science, fine arts (music, art), physical education, health, and computer studies.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Monterey Grades: K-8 | 280 students
450 Church St
Monterey, CA 93940
(831)375-1324 4 K-8
- Salinas Grades: NS-8 | 339 students
123 W Market St
Salinas, CA 93901
(831)771-1310 17.2 NS-8
- Monterey Grades: 9-12 | 246 students
1500 Mark Thomas Dr.
Monterey, CA 93940
(831)655-9300 4.4 9-12
- Pebble Beach Grades: PK-12 | 722 students
3152 Forest Lake Road
Pebble Beach, CA 93953
(831)625-8300 3.2 PK-12
Our child has absolutely thrived at Junipero Serra-there are simply no words to describe the transformation we've seen in him. At JSS, everyone "knows your name," the school has a good balance between academics and downtime, and our son is learning drama and Spanish. All of this in one of the most historic and beautiful settings in California. The parent community is extremely dedicated and loyal to this little school community. It is truly a hidden gem.
- Posted by Parent - edw
I am an alumni of the school and The Carmel Mission is as wonderful today as it was 28 years ago. Over half the teachers have been with the school for 20 plus years and it is the warmest feeling knowing the people teaching my kids. We have 2 that are attending and my third will start in another year. My oldest is in third grade and is learning the violin during music class. The school just expanded their science lab and all the kids are learning Spanish. When you are on this historic campus you can truly feel the wonderful family, community and commitment from all that attended. An extra bonus of information is that both the Pre-K teachers themselves went to JSS 34 years ago and teach at the school presently, which just echo`s how wonderful the school is that people never want to leave. I would highly recommend that any family looking for their kids to attended a safe, inspiring and delightful school need to look no further than Junipero Serra School. (Pre-K Thru 8th)
- Posted by Parent - Erica
I love this school so much, they have been our second home. Everyone is friendly and caring, my children thrives in this school because of the positive environment it offers. They are not only excellent academically but they have the best and well behave students I have ever encountered. Polite, respectful, intelligent and loving children they treat each other like family. It's a place like no other. We've been here since 2009 and we will stay until all my children graduate from this school.
- Posted by Parent - 2009-2019
Junipero Serra School is an amazing school with a very prevalent "community" feel.
- Posted by Parent - theko
Every private school parent is encouraged to help the school in whatever way he can. Here are some things you can do to make a contribution to your school.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.