The Harker School Upper School
The Harker School Upper School Photo #2 - The Harker School's middle school library is home base for students. Our libraries feature full-time librarians and hundreds of resources, including online reference databases.
The Harker School Upper School Photo #3 - The Harker School's park-like preschool campus features cottages for the various age groups, and specialty classes and spaces for the STEM lab, art, music & movement, library and the Farm.
The Harker School Upper School Photo #4 - All of The Harker School preschool teachers hold bachelor degrees in areas such as early childhood education, child development and psychology. Many have advanced degrees.
The Harker School Upper School Photo #5 - Each year all Harker second graders participate in the Ogre Awards, acting out folk tales from around the world to bring these wonderful and enlightening stories to life.
The Harker School Upper School Photo #6 - The Harker School's students benefit from inspiring teachers and state-of-the-art equipment, such as this human anatomy table, to spark their passions and deepen their learning.
The Harker School Upper School Photo #7 - On The Harker School's upper school campus, Davis Field and the Singh Aquatic Center provide first-class athletic space to our athletes. A new gym will be completed in the winter of 2017.
The Harker School Upper School Photo #8 - The lower school campus hosts K-grade 5, with a special designated play area for kindergartners, another for grades 1-3, and an activity area for grades 4-5.
The Harker School Upper School Photo #9 - Harker teachers are highly qualified and bring passion and expertise to their classrooms. Many have advanced degrees and all pursue ongoing professional development to offer our students a world-class education at Harker.
- Founded in 1893, The Harker School offers a coed, independent program for students in preschool-grade 12 on four beautiful campuses in the heart of Silicon Valley.Harker is one of the top prep schools in the nation and the largest Pre-12 independent school in the state, and its upper school sends its graduates to the finest universities and colleges in the country.
- Students reach their full potential through small class sizes, performance placement at most grade levels, integration of state-of-the-art technology at all grade levels, AP and honors offerings, a full-time counseling staff and highly qualified faculty.
- Harker is a dynamic community that honors individuality, embraces diversity and prepares students to take their places as global citizens.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||2030 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||222 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Number of AP Courses||29 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 14 / Jan. 28|
|Tuition Notes||Full day $29,561 Half Day $20,831 https://www.harker.org/admission/tuition-financial-aid|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Danielle Holquin, Gr. 6-8|
|Admissions Associate||Diann Chung, K-Gr. 5|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
Water Polo, Wrestling,
- Since 2006, the first year it began entering these competitions, Harker has had 70 Intel Science Talent Search semi-finalists,10 finalists and two winners. (Harker's first upper school graduating class was in 2002.)
- Each year over 50% of students are recognized annually by the College Board in the National Merit Scholarship Program.
- In 2007 Harker students represented the U.S. at the J8 Summit (a parallel youth event to the G8 Summit) in Germany.
- In the K-Gr. 8 program, 90% of the students participate in the comprehensive after-school program, which is included in tuition.
- Upper school students participate in CCS sports teams and dozens of clubs and social activities.
- The K-12 performing arts department has put on well over 200 performances in the past 10 years, and the elite upper school Harker Conservatory traveled to Edinburgh by invitation to perform at the 2007, 2011 and 2015 Fringe Festivals.
- In 2016, boys varsity golf took third in CCS and played in the state championships, Girls volleyball teams took second in state in 2007, and made CCS playoffs in 2013, the CCS semifinals in 2014 and 2015.
- In May 2015, the Harker upper school debate team was recognized by the Tournament of Champions (TOC) as a School of Excellence by the National Speech & Debate Association, as the team with the most success in all TOC events. In June 2015, the middle school team set a record by winning the Overall School of Excellence Award for the fourth time. This award, given by the National Speech & Debate Association, is presented to the top three teams in the country. It is the highest honor a middle school program can achieve.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Sunnyvale Grades: 6-12 | 950 students
562 North Britton Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
(408)481-9900 5.2 6-12
- San Jose Grades: 9-12 | 1657 students
960 W Hedding St
San Jose, CA 95126
(408)294-9224 3.3 9-12
- Pebble Beach Grades: 9-12 | 559 students
3152 Forest Lake Road
Pebble Beach, CA 93953
(831)625-8300 50.9 9-12
- La Canada Flintridge Grades: 7-12 | 507 students
4543 Crown Ave
La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011
(818)790-1178 302.7 7-12
- Studio City Grades: 7-12 | 1593 students
3700 Coldwater Canyon Avenue
Studio City, CA 91604
(818)980-6692 297.8 7-12
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.
Your school's website and your social media sites are essential tools in your marketing program.
Choosing the right private school for your child is a lengthy process. I want you to achieve the success which you deserve without making these common mistakes other parents have made.