Valley Christian High School
5.00 (1 review)
Valley Christian High School Photo #2 - VCHS includes the Applied, Math, Science and Engineering (AMSE) Institute, with special opportunities for students who want to take their STEM studies to much deeper level with multiple hands on activities and experiments.
Valley Christian High School Photo #3 - Over 99% of VCHS graduates attend colleges throughout the USA and beyond.
Valley Christian High School Photo #4 - Rallys and other activities to build Warrior spirit are an important part of school life, adding a lot of fun to our school community.
Valley Christian High School Photo #5 - VCHS has its own observatory dome that supports our astronomy class and our astronomy club.
Valley Christian High School Photo #6 - Over 48 different men and women's sports teams assure that all students can have an athletic experience. Those athletes seeking to play at the collegiate level often join our Human Performance Initiative of strength and speed training to reach the highest levels of performance.
Valley Christian High School Photo #8 - With over 15 different shows performed each year, supported by a full Technical Theatre department specializing in set construction, lighting and sound design, VCHS Theatre has been called by Stage Directions Magazine "one of the top 6 high school theatre programs in the USA."
Valley Christian High School Photo #9 - Vocal, instrumental (strings, jazz, orchestral, and Marching Band) are key offerings in the Conservatory of the Arts. The COA program has helped students develop their artistic gifts and has helped with placement into top university programs and arts conservatories throughout the United States.
- Valley Christian Schools, in San Jose, California, was founded in 1960 and has grown into one of the largest independent K-12 Christian school systems in the United States.
- Accredited by both ACSI and WASC, Valley Christian takes pride in its top-notch facilities that are among the finest in California-two campuses, an extensive sports complex, and the 46,000 square foot Conservatory of the Arts & Student Life Center.
- Its unique Conservatory of the Arts opportunities for students passionate about music, theatre, dance, visual arts (painting, photography, ceramics), and cinematography to work closely with top faculty to reach great heights of success. Our music groups are known throughout the U.S. for their excellence, our marching band was invited to march in the prestigious Rose Parade in January, 2013, and our theatre awards caused Stage Direction Magazine to write Valley Christian High School is "one of the 6 best high school theatre programs in the United States." The Applied Math, Science and Engineering Institute [AMSE] allows students of high ability to enjoy unique challenges. An example of such an opportunity is the International Space Station project, in which Valley Christian students pioneered the first-ever high school Cube Lab experiment place aboard the Space Station in January, 2011. VCS is now the #1 user of the International Space Station for onboard research experiments, mentoring other schools into this program as far away as Finland, Australia, and Indonesia on how to design experiments for the ISS. A new project through the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute will allow VCHS to be the first high school to place a research experiment on their undersea research platform 3000' down in the Monterey Bay trench. The VCHS Math Team placed first at the 2019 Math League National Championships, and Best Overall in the Nation at the American Statistical Association Fall Data Challenge two years in a row.
- The Business & Entrepreneurship Initiative promotes, supports, and fosters student entrepreneurship at Valley Christian High School. Unique opportunities are created to expose student to successful Silicon Valley business leaders who exemplify Christian principles as they mentor and spark innovation in the young entrepreneurs. Business classes allow for student to develop and pitch a business plan to local venture capitalists as part of President's Business Challenge, as well to actually then start their own business in their following years while at VCHS.under the mentorship of local business professionals.
- In addition, 50 Warrior Athletics sports teams allow students to compete and develop character at the highest levels of high school athletics, along with the Human Performance Center with a staff dedicated to sports-specific strength training, to develop the best in athletic preparedness. Over 80 VCHS alumni are currently playing athletics at the collegiate level.
- Daily Bible classes at every grade level, weekly chapel services and many community service events give students a loving environment in which to learn more about the Christian faith, and to become excited about the eternal perspective Jesus Christ brings to their lives.
- Through our Dual Credit program, many of our core academic classes in a variety of subject areas may be taken for college credit, with students building a college transcript of transferrable courses before graduating from VCHS.
- Valley Christian Junior High was awarded an Intel School of Distinction and Intell Star Innovator for its math education, and is a U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon "No Child Left Behind" school. The Conservatoy of the Arts program, the AMSE program, and their gifted faculty also play significant roles in the STEM and fine arts education of students at Valley Christian Elementary School.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2013|
|Total Students||2799 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||107 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||26:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Number of AP Courses||23 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus BC, AP English Literature, AP Human Geography, AP Microeconomics, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP US Government, AP US History, Advanced Business Honors, Advanced Data Analysis Honors, Aerospace Engineering, American Sign Language IV Honors, Anatomy & Physiology Honors, AP Calculus AB, AP Art 2-D Design, AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese Language, AP Computer Science, AP English Language, AP Environmental Science, AP Latin, AP Music Theory, AP Physics 1, AP Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Studio Art - Drawing, Art III Honors, Astronomy, Chinese (Mandarin) IV Honors, French IV Honors, Latin III Honors, Marine Biology, Multivariable Calculus Honors, Photographic Design Studio Honors, Scientific Research, Spanish III Honors, Trig/Pre-Calculus Honors|
|Average SAT score||1230|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(dress code including jeans, shorts and collared or polo shirts for boys; modest jeans, shorts or dresses for girls)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 29 / Apr. 2 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,670|
|Tuition Notes||tuition varies by campus: elementary, junior high, high school|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Scott Wessling|
|Admissions Associate||HS Admissions, Alana James|
|Total Sports Offered||20 sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Drill Team, Flag Football, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, WrestlingBadminton, Baseball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Diving, Drill Team,
Flag Football, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
Water Polo, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||51 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Abolitionists Club, Astronomy Club, Business Club, Chemistry Club, Chess Club, Chinese Language Club, Cooking Club, Cool Beans Coffee Club, Creative Writing Club, DECA (Business Start Up), Environmental Club, Fashion Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Forensics Science Club, French Club, Future Surgeons of America (FSA), Green Solutions Club, International Club, Latin Honors Society, Law Club, Lighthouse Christian Club, Love in Action Club, Marine Biology Club, Math Club, Missions Club, Mu Alpha Theta Math Honors Society, National Art Honor Society, National English Honor Society, Physics Club, Pre-Veterinary Club, President's Business Challenge, Programming Club, Quiz Bowl, Race2Educate, Radio Club, Robotics Team, Rocketry, Satellite Development, Satellite Tracking, Save The African Kids (STAK) Club, Scientific Research Club, Spanish Club, Speech and Debate Club, Strategic Gaming Club, Support Our Troops Club, VC Appreciation Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Guerrilla Film Society, Hip Hop Club, Nu Delta Alpha (Dance) Club, VC Beatz
Recreational Athletic Programs:
What is the VCS Difference
Valley Christian Elementary School:
- The entire Kindergarten 12th grade VCS journey starts on the elementary campus!
- Parents and students experience genuine Christian community and care.
- Students foster their spiritual life through Christian educators, daily Bible instruction, weekly chapel, community service and more.
- Students test above grade level on achievement test scores.
- From classroom support by the teacher to one-on-one sessions, VCES provides a full range of services to support all students at their individual levels of learning.
- Under our Discover AMSE Program, curriculum at Valley Christian Elementary School is rich with opportunities for our future mathematicians, scientists, and engineers! In addition to offering engaging K-5th grade hands-on science curriculum, individualized web-based math programs, SOAR Mathematics, and Math Olympiad, Discover AMSE provides a variety of exciting after-school offerings as well.
- The Kidservatory program introduces elementary students to the exciting world of creative arts, with school-day pull-out classes, after-school offerings, and private lessons
- The exciting "Little Warriors Nation" athletic program pairs elementary students with Valley Christian High School players and coaches for great training and mentoring opportunities.
- Students naturally move up to Valley Christian Junior High following 5th grade and then on to Valley Christian High School, among the finest Christian schools in the nation.
Valley Christian Junior High:
- Life-changing values and spiritual life growth occur through daily Bible education, weekly chapel, community service opportunities and leadership development.
- Personal interest and involvement of the faculty creates a sense of "family" on campus where each student feels valued.
- VCJH received the 2011
Intel School of Distinction and Intel Star Innovator awards.
- Students take
grade level and up to 8 Honors-level classes in English, math and science/technology available (including Geometry). VCJH students may graduate with distinction in Science.
- Students identified as needing academic accommodations to achieve their true school potential receive help and encouragement through the Student Support Services program.
- Junior AMSE (Applied Math, Science, and Engineering Institute) brings segments of our high school-level STEM program into the junior high level.
- The unique Junior Conservatory provides extensive offerings in music, theatre, dance, and the visual arts with participation in a variety of performances, festivals, competitions and recitals.
- There is a fully developed, competitive robotics program, award-winning math and science clubs, and the annual all-school Rube Goldberg Contest.
- Our extensive electives excite students and then feed naturally into elite high school programs. These electives include state-of-the-art video editing, TV broadcasting, 3D animation and game design, Hands On Science, and foreign language.
- 22 sports teams over five different seasons benefit from state-of-the-art athletic facilities and compete in one of the largest public school leagues in the area.
- Students gain perspective from special travel opportunities, such as to Southern California with the band, or the 8th grade trip to Washington D.C.
Valley Christian High School:
- Spiritual growth occurs through a wide array of exciting Bible course offerings, weekly chapel services, extensive community service opportunities (including annual service/missions trips to an average of 5 different countries each year), and biblical leadership development.
- Graduates overwhelmingly point to significant mentoring relationships with teachers and coaches as a real help to wisely navigate their teenage years.
- Students benefit from U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon School academics, including over 42 honors and Advanced Placement courses.
- At least 99% of graduates go on to college, assisted by our academic counseling department.
- The Dual Credit program of 30 different on-campus courses in 7 different subject areas allows students to achieve both high school and college credit while on our campus.
- Students identified as needing academic accommodations to achieve their true school potential receive help and encouragement through the Student Support Services program.
- The unique Applied Math, Science, and Engineering (AMSE) Institute offers students unprecedented opportunities, including the International Space Station project, VCHS Ocean Discovery Program in partnership with the Monterey Aquarium Research Institute, an aerospace engineering class complete with sophisticated Rocketry Development Program, and a nationally-awarded robotics program.
- The Biological Research and Development Lab allows for specialized student research normally seen only at the college level and supports their entry into national science fair competitions.
- By providing access to Silicon Valley`s resources through speaker seminars, workshops, and mentors, the goal of The Business & Entrepreneurship Initiative student not only learn core business concepts through school-day courses, but are also given the chance to apply what they learn through numerous business programs.
- The lauded Conservatory of the Arts program offers concentrated majors and minors in music, theatre, dance, visual arts or cinematic arts, with student ability levels and college portfolios enhanced through extensive performances, recitals, and competitions.
- VC Warrior athletics is known throughout California for its 48 sports teams, frequent state and national rankings, and athletic scholarship opportunities to Division 1 and 2 colleges and universities. The teaching of character and integrity are integral in training our athletes.
- The Human Performan Center (HPD) provides year-round, sports-specific training to maximize strength, power, speed, and athletic performance for all VCHS athletes. Our trainers come from both collegiate and professional sports backgrounds and offer sports-specific athlete development classes during and school every day.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Jose Grades: PK-12 | 2030 students
500 Saratoga Ave
San Jose, CA 95129
(408)249-2510 8.6 PK-12
- San Jose Grades: 9-12 | 1651 students
960 W Hedding St
San Jose, CA 95126
(408)294-9224 7 9-12
- Los Gatos Grades: 6-12
50 University Ave., Suite A300
Los Gatos, CA 95030
(408)354-0743 9.2 6-12
- San Francisco Grades: 9-12 | 1297 students
1055 Ellis St
San Francisco, CA 94109
(415)775-6626 48 9-12
I have been at Valley Christian since sixth grade, so this year is currently my sixth year at Valley. Valley Christian has been an awesome experience for me to grow as an individual by meeting new people and being able to strengthen my faith. The campus is breathtaking and every year truly has something new to offer, whether that being technologically, artistically, athletically, or academically. The people are overall excepting of new people but this really depends on who you are as your own self and how willing you are to interact with new people. We have chapel every Wednesday, and although they may seem boring at times, it is truly a blessing to be able to worship our Creator in such a free way. No, you do not have to be a Christian to attend, and even if you aren't, Valley Christian is still a wonderful school to be opened up to new opportunities and form relationships with teachers/peers. Every school has it's pros and cons, and obviously no school is perfect, but the pros at Valley definitely overweigh the cons.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Hanna
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.