Mount Madonna School
- Mount Madonna School is committed to providing a unique andmeaningful educational opportunity for each child.
- Our primary mission is to integrate intellectual, social andcreative learning within the context of supportive humanrelationships.
- We are dedicated to helping our students become aware of therange of their creative talents and how those talents can beapplied in developing a life of positive meaning and purpose.
- To fulfill this mission, our school is committed to givingindividual attention to each student as we pursue our program ofAcademic Excellence, Creative Self-Expression, and PositiveCharacter Development.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||185 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||37 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||8 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Comparative Politics, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Physics: Mechanics, AP Statistics, AP US Government and Politics, AP US History|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 13 / Feb. 28 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies by grade.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Benna Dimig|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBasketball, Cross Country,|
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Model United Nations
- We are a community of learners. We support our students tobecome caring, self-aware and articulate critical thinkers, who areprepared to meet challenges with perseverance, creativity andintegrity.
- We believe that a meaningful life is characterized by personalachievement and the ability to work effectively with others inservice to society.
- We Value:
- Academic achievement made visible by a personal commitment tolearning that balances both comprehensive understanding andin-depth inquiry in multiple disciplines.
- The integration of intellectual, emotional, social and creativelearning.
- A learning environment that encourages meaningful relationshipsbased on self-acceptance, empathy, respectful and honestcommunication.
- The transformative power of immersion in the creative processthat includes cognitive learning, teamwork, direct experience,reflection and mutual appreciation.
- A close relationship with nature that inspires experientiallearning, a commitment to environmental stewardship and a sense ofwell-being.
Our multi-faceted curriculum is based on the development of:
- Cognitive learning including critical reading, writing andspeaking skills, scientific and mathematical investigation,research and problem solving.
- Experiential learning including outdoor education,performances, life labs, service learning, interviews, domestic andinternational travel.
- Reflective learning including self-inquiry, journaling,dialogue, presentations, collective problem solving and creativeprojects.
Creative Self-Expression: We integrate creative arts and academicpursuits with the belief that each enriches the other. Creativeself-expression is part of all academic coursework. Experiencingthe creative process allows students to overcome perceivedlimitations and opens the possibility for intuitive intelligence toemerge. All students study acting, voice, dance, fine arts,creative writing, and participate in performing arts. Ourproductions illuminate the value of the collaborative process whereindividual effort and a willingness to sacrifice for the greaterwhole result in an inspiring and fulfilling experience. Thepersonal benefits of this creative process extend far beyond schoolinto almost every facet of adult life.
Positive Character Development: We recognize that each student'scharacter is influenced both by the explicit curriculum in ourcourse offerings and the implicit curriculum expressed in the dailylife and experience of our school community. In all that we do, weencourage our students to take responsibility, to practiceself-discipline, exercise leadership, and to serve and care for oneanother.
We focus on learning that brings forth thinking and discussions ofethical relevance. We strive to create opportunities for studentsto engage in open and honest communication through such programs asservice learning, student governance, life skills classes andstudent guidance.
We work closely with families and access a variety of professionalresources to encourage a thoughtful exchange of ideas around themany issues that confront youth in our modern society. We encourageolder students to mentor and care for younger students throughschool wide activities such as theater productions, buddy programsand athletic events.
Our faculty and families are dedicated to positive values such asempathy, honesty, cooperation, fairness and kindness.
Our Environment: Mount Madonna School is located on 355 acres offorested mountaintop property overlooking the Monterey Bay. We arehosted by Mount Madonna Center, a community founded on theprinciples of yoga and dedicated to non-harming, self-developmentand service to society. The values of the Center and the beauty ofthe natural environment provide a supportive and inspirationalcontext in which our learning community thrives.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Pebble Beach Grades: PK-12 | 722 students
3152 Forest Lake Road
Pebble Beach, CA 93953
(831)625-8300 33.9 PK-12
- Watsonville Grades: PK-12 | 292 students
376 S Green Valley Rd
Watsonville, CA 95076
(831)724-6505 8.1 PK-12
- Watsonville Grades: 6-12 | 1000 students
2 School Way
Watsonville, CA 95076
(831)722-8178 4.7 6-12
- Los Gatos Grades: 6-12
50 University Ave., Suite A300
Los Gatos, CA 95030
(408)354-0743 16.9 6-12
We are so happy we overcame the distance and sent our daughter to this amazing school. This is our daughter's fourth year at Mount Madonna and she doesn't want to miss a day. There are some fantastic teachers that really know how to engage and encourage the kids to learn. I wish I could go to school here.
- Posted by Parent - mrnmr