Mount Madonna School
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-12
- Students: 170 students
- Acceptance rate: 67%
- Average class size: 13 students
- Application Deadline: Dec. 14 / Feb. 26 / rolling
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Model United Nations
- We are a diverse learning community. We support our students to become caring, self-aware and articulate critical thinkers, who are prepared to meet challenges with perseverance, creativity and integrity.
- We believe that a meaningful life is characterized by personal achievement and the ability to work effectively with others in service to society.
- Our learning community, which includes our students, faculty, administrators, staff, families, alumni and local, national, and international peers communities
- Each individual, and all of their unique qualities - including race, culture, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability status, and socio-economics - which weave into the tapestry of our shared humanity
- Continual exploration of how our students learn
- Creating a responsive and equitable learning environment where diverse perspectives are explored
- Intellectual inquiry that fosters a love of learning, open-mindedness, curiosity, self-discipline and perseverance
- The transformative power of the creative process
- Experiential outdoor learning that prioritizes an interconnectedness with nature, individual and collective well-being, and environmental stewardship
- Development of relationships based on self-acceptance, openness, empathy, honesty and respectful communication
- Experiences that cultivate a sense of belonging and visibilityCommitment to practices that support equity and racial, social, economic and environmental justice.
Our multi-faceted curriculum is based on the development of:
- Cognitive learning including critical reading, writing and speaking skills, scientific and mathematical investigation, research and problem solving.
- Experiential learning including outdoor education, performances, life labs, service learning, interviews, domestic and international travel.
- Reflective learning including self-inquiry, journaling, dialogue, presentations, collective problem solving and creative projects.
Creative Self-Expression: We integrate creative arts and academic pursuits with the belief that each enriches the other. Creative self-expression is part of all academic coursework. Experiencing the creative process allows students to overcome perceived limitations and opens the possibility for intuitive intelligence to emerge. All students study acting, voice, dance, fine arts, creative writing, and participate in performing arts. Our productions illuminate the value of the collaborative process where individual effort and a willingness to sacrifice for the greaterwhole result in an inspiring and fulfilling experience. The personal benefits of this creative process extend far beyond school into almost every facet of adult life.
Positive Character Development: We recognize that each student's character is influenced both by the explicit curriculum in our course offerings and the implicit curriculum expressed in the daily life and experience of our school community. In all that we do, we encourage our students to take responsibility, to practice self-discipline, exercise leadership, and to serve and care for one another.
We focus on learning that brings forth thinking and discussions of ethical relevance. We strive to create opportunities for students to engage in open and honest communication through such programs as service learning, student governance, life skills classes and student guidance.
We work closely with families and access a variety of professional resources to encourage a thoughtful exchange of ideas around the many issues that confront youth in our modern society. We encourage older students to mentor and care for younger students through school-wide activities such as theater productions, buddy programs and athletic events.
Our faculty and families are dedicated to positive values such as empathy, honesty, cooperation, fairness and kindness.
Our Environment: Mount Madonna School is located on 375 acres of forested mountaintop property overlooking the Monterey Bay. We are hosted by Mount Madonna Center, a community founded on the principles of yoga and dedicated to non-harming, self-development and service to society. The values of the Center and the beauty of the natural environment provide a supportive and inspirational context in which our learning community thrives.
Endorse Mount Madonna School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards