The Knox School
5.00 (5 reviews)
Tel: (631) 686-1600
The Knox School Photo #2 - The Knox Athletic Department provides opportunities for student-athletes to reach their fullest potential with competitive athletic programs for boys and girls, including Badminton, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball, Equestrian and Crew. In recognition of our School`s mission, Knox Athletics emphasizes sportsmanship, responsibility, cooperation, teamwork and respect for others.
The Knox School Photo #3 - The heartbeat of any great boarding and day school is the close and often lifelong friendships that students form with each other and with their teachers. At Knox, students begin their day together with their faculty in a community morning meeting. After a full day of classes, they join each other in a variety of athletics and activities.
The Knox School Photo #4 - The Knox School provides a "home by the shore" for all of our students. Each of the residential houses has one or more faculty members, many of whom live with their families. Our "house parents" serve in the best tradition of "In Loco Parentis," as they look after the academic and social/emotional development of each student.
The Knox School Photo #5 - Knox understands the value that STEM (Science, Technology, Mathematics, Engineering) disciplines provide to our future leaders. Recently renovated, our 650 sq. ft. STEM lab is fully equipped with 3-D printers, hand-built digital workstations, a touchscreen learning system, and complete array of tools and hardware. Students are exposed to hands-on, engaging classes including robotics, engineering, Computer Assisted Design, coding and more.
The Knox School Photo #6 - While all of our middle school students participate in an exploratory program in Studio Art, Ceramics, and Performing Arts, our Upper School students have the opportunity to explore diverse specialized offerings through dynamic courses led by practicing artists.
The Knox School Photo #7 - Here at Knox, we want to cultivate the talents of our young artists by providing them a stage and a classroom to rehearse, perform, and play. Our students have the opportunity to not only perform in plays, musicals, and concerts, but to take specialized classes in acting, music, stagecraft, playmaking, digital film, and more.
The Knox School Photo #8 - Founded in 1914, the Equestrian Program is Knox's oldest, continuous sports activity. The program is run from the Phebe T. Phillips Byrne '68 Equestrian Center, an historic, horseshoe-shaped structure featuring 25 stalls, a newly renovated outdoor ring with sprinklers, a covered track with sand and rubber footing, a turnout field and a full jump course.
The Knox School Photo #9 - Knox student-riders learn that any goal can be reached through cooperation with the highest qualified trainers, an exemplary work ethic and a growth mindset. There is no such thing as luck when you are a Knox Equestrian there is only commitment and dedication to practicing until you reach excellence, each and every time you ride or complete any task.
The Knox School Photo #10 - The Knox Crew Team has quietly developed into one of the most competitive teams in the country. In the last year, our athletes have broken six world records on the erg, sent ten boats to the State Championships with six finishing in the top three, two State Champions, and two boats placed in the Top 30 at Nationals.
- The Knox School is a nonsectarian, independent, multicultural, coeducational day and boarding, college preparatory school that serves an average of 160 students in grades 6 through 12 plus Postgraduate.
- Rigorous academics where students receive a broad world perspective and a wide range of skills to prepare them for the future.
- A well-rounded extra-curricular life with an historic Equestrian program, elite athletics including rowing, soccer, and basketball, and a robust Visual & Performing Arts curriculum.
- 100% college placement and exceptional scholarships; Average graduating class of 35 students. Average total scholarship offers $4.5 million.
- Virtual Event - Thu., September 24, 2020 6:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Mon., September 28, 2020 8:00am (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., September 30, 2020 8:00am (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., October 01, 2020 8:00am (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Fri., October 02, 2020 8:00am (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., October 06, 2020 5:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., October 08, 2020 1:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Mon., October 12, 2020 8:00am (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Mon., October 12, 2020 10:00am (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Mon., October 12, 2020 4:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Mon., October 19, 2020 7:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., October 20, 2020 7:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., October 21, 2020 8:00am (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., October 21, 2020 7:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., October 21, 2020 7:45pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., October 22, 2020 1:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., October 22, 2020 7:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., October 22, 2020 7:45pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Fri., October 23, 2020 8:00am (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Fri., October 23, 2020 2:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Sat., October 24, 2020 10:00am (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Sat., October 24, 2020 12:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Mon., October 26, 2020 11:00am (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., October 27, 2020 5:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., November 03, 2020 8:00am (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., November 05, 2020 8:00am (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- ...read more
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
National Association of College Admissions Counselors
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||mild learning differences|
|Total Students||163 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||32 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||14 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP Music Theory, AP Physics I, AP Physics II, AP Psychology, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. History, ART 122, Electronic Illustration, English 101, English 102, Freshman Composition, Freshman Literature, PHY 101, PHY 130-132, PHY 230-232|
|Average SAT score||1220|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants or plaid kilt, dress shirt, blazer)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 30 / Jun. 30 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,000|
|Tuition Notes||The tuition cost listed is that of a day student in grades 6th-12th. For boarding tuition, $44,350 for 5-Day; $55,400 7-Day|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$20,900|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Caitlyn Adams-Davis|
|Admissions Associate||Cindy Simkus|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Equestrian, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, VolleyballBadminton, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||21 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Community Service, Crafting, Fashion Club, Model UN, National Honor Society, Service Learning, Sports United / Student Athlete Leadership Team (SALT), STEM, Storytelling & Strategy, Student Council, Student Publications: Roseleaves & Scribblers, World Cultures Club, Yearbook, Yoga and Meditation
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Dance, Fall Play, Jam Club for Musicians, Spring Musical
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Strength and Conditioning, Weight training
- Be Among Friends from Around the Globe
- Support Student Success with a Focus on Academic, Social, Emotional, and Physical Development
- Be Challenged by Superior Academics including Advanced Placement, an Honors Track for High Achievers, and an Emphasis on STEM Education
- Earn College Credit with Dual Enrollment Courses in the Humanities, Arts and Sciences
- Exceptional College Placements and Scholarships
- Small Classes Taught by Highly Qualified Teachers Who Inspire
- 5 and 7 Day Boarding Options
- Competitive Athletic Offerings
- Robust Visual and Performing Arts Programs
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Stony Brook Grades: 7-12 | 412 students
1 Chapman Parkway
Stony Brook, NY 11790
(631) 751-1800 3 7-12
- Riverhead Grades: 7-12 | 467 students
1225 Ostrander Ave
Riverhead, NY 11901
(631) 727-5900 27.1 7-12
- Brentwood Grades: K-12 | 385 students
1725 Brentwood Road Bldg 2
Brentwood, NY 11717
(631) 273-2406 10.2 K-12
We could not be happier with our decision to pursue the Knox School for our son. Academically and the access to talented equestrian staff made Knox the ideal choice for our family. Wonderful school
- Posted by Parent - Walter and Denise
Knox is an excellent nurturing school that provides a positive and caring environment. There is a great sense of community. The classes are small and every student gets the attention they deserve. Teachers and administrators are very involved and supportive. The equestrian program is excellent and unique. The student body is very diverse with students from many different countries, providing a great experience for all students. This school has been life changing for my daughter!
- Posted by Parent - Limor
Knox is an excellent school. Fantastic, caring teachers. Beautiful campus. Small class size. Students are in a healthy learning environment.
- Posted by Parent - Rose
The school has established a climate that promotes excellence and leadership among students in a caring and supportive environment. My daughter participated in crew which was a great experience that opened her up to challenges as well as provided unique opportunities.
- Posted by Parent - erica
Knox is an EXCELLENT School providing superior academic preparation for college and beyond. LOVE the International component and the mix of Day and Boarding. I* graduated from here in 1973 as have 3 of my adult children (''97, ''98 and ''00). I currently have a child in 10th grade (''16) here.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - wolfh
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.