- Imagine living and learning in an inclusive community in which people thrive in an environment where taking risks is revered and achieving more than one ever imagined is a reality.
- Imagine athletes performing in musicals and choir, and artists being competitive fencers.
- Imagine students affectionately calling their school campus their "home beside the shore" where they have experiences that impact their lives in ways they never dreamed possible.
- Imagine students graduating high school with the self-confidence to try new things, the work ethic to thrive in a college or university and with a true belief in the power of their own efforts.
- You don`t have to imagine or look any further than The Knox School; all of these images are what comprise the "Knox Difference." The Knox School, located in Saint James on Long Island`s North Shore, is a student-centered, college preparatory school serving local day students and domestic and international boarding students in grades 6-12 and PG. Our students hail from11 countries and the continental U.S., with half from Long Island and the Tristate area. Our team of administrators and educators are proud of the diversity and talent these young men and women bring to the School, and work tirelessly to prepare them for the challenges they will face in the ever-changing world in which we live.
- With unique programs in STEM, Crew, Equestrian, Fencing, Prep Basketball, Visual and Performing Arts, our students receive an education like no other, and our students are part of something special.
- Visit us at KnoxSchool.org to learn more about the Knox Difference and to begin the application process.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||126 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||29 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Number of AP Courses||14 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP American Government, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP English Language, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History,|
|Average SAT score||1180|
|Average ACT score||26|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Khaki pants, dress shirt, blazer)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,500|
|Tuition Notes||The tuition cost listed is that of a day student in grades 6th-12th. For boarding tuition, $42,700 for 5-Day; $45,000 7-Day|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$26,430|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Duncan Marshall|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Crew, Cross Country, Equestrian, Fencing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Equestrian,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Community Service, Fall Play, Knox Experience, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, Spring Musical, Student Council, Student Publications: Roseleaves & Scribblers Fall Play, Spring Musical, Community Service,
Model United Nations,
National Honor Society,
National Junior Honor Society,
Student Publications: Roseleaves & Scribblers,
- Visual and performing arts
- Equestrian program on-campus
- Family-oriented atmosphere
- Safe and tranquil campus
- 5-day and 7-day boarding
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Stony BrookGrades: 7-12 | 370 students
1 Chapman Parkway
Stony Brook, NY 11790
RiverheadGrades: 7-12 | 507 students
1225 Ostrander Ave
Riverhead, NY 11901
BrentwoodGrades: K-12 | 385 students
1725 Brentwood Road Bldg 2
Brentwood, NY 11717
West IslipGrades: 9-12 | 1706 students
1170 Montauk Highway
West Islip, NY 11795
CommackGrades: K-12 | 82 students
40 Kings Park Road
Commack, NY 11725
The school has established a climate that promotes excellence and leadership among students in a caring and supportive environment. My daughter participated in crew which was a great experience that opened her up to challenges as well as provided unique opportunities.
- Posted by Parent - erica
Knox is an EXCELLENT School providing superior academic preparation for college and beyond. LOVE the International component and the mix of Day and Boarding. I* graduated from here in 1973 as have 3 of my adult children (''97, ''98 and ''00). I currently have a child in 10th grade (''16) here.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - wolfh