Harbor Country Day School
5.00 (4 reviews)
Tel: (631) 584-5555
- Harbor Country Day School is a school where children are encouraged to be who they are and where differences are celebrated.
- Because of this solid foundation of acceptance and love, students at Harbor are confident, self-aware, and happy -- and they love to come to school.
- Harbor students approach learning with a fearlessness that only comes from knowing that they will be safe and accepted regardless of whether they succeed or fail.
- They embrace the hard work that comes with a rigorous curriculum like Harbor`s because they are taught from the day they enter the school how to work with purpose, and how to make it fun.
- Public speaking, community service, athletics, cross-divisional mentoring programs, upper school leadership retreats -- all of these opportunities, and so many more, help children realize their full potential as individuals and as leaders so that when they leave Harbor, they are fully prepared to master the challenges of secondary school, college, and life beyond.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$3,250|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Camp Harbor fees are based on number of days attending and half-day or full-day selections. Full-day, all-summer tuition is $3,250. See https://www.hcdsny.org/camp-harbor/camp-harbor-fees for more details.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||133 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(School uniform through Lands End)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,900|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $9,400 for half-day PreK3 to $18,450 for upper school. See https://www.hcdsny.org/admission/tuition-and-fees for more details.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,000|
|Admissions Director||Christine McBrien|
|Admissions Associate||Lynette Mutschler|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, SoccerBasketball, Soccer,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Advanced Computer Clubs, Art Club, Art Criticism, Baking Club, Construction Club, Robotics Club, Robotics Team, Student Council, Yoga Club
- Harbor Country Day School values and embraces the extraordinary individuality in every child. Teachers at Harbor are acutely aware of each child`s interests, strengths, and challenges, and they incorporate that understanding into personalized learning processes for each student. When children are members of a warm, caring community, and under the care of talented and compassionate teachers who embrace them for who they truly are, children`s confidence is bolstered, their receptors for learning are wide open, and their will to learn is boundless.
- Differentiated instruction techniques are inherent in every curriculum at Harbor, from our upper school math program to our preschool lessons. This can include differentiation by process (encouraging students to think about and discuss new ways of learning such as literature circles and journal writing), by product or learning format (such as visual, auditory, reading/writing, or kinesthetic), or by content (wherein teachers vary the materials and/or lessons offered).
- Character development opportunities permeate Harbor Country Day School. Our school-wide Social Emotional Learning (SEL) program helps students cultivate positive relationships, feel and demonstrate empathy, and better manage their emotions. As students enter the upper school in sixth grade, they are assigned advisors, who help guide students (both individually and in small group settings) through the upper school experience. Through our signature Advisory Program, students also participate in student-driven service learning projects, wherein students are charged with selecting community service projects, planning the ways in which the group will address the community`s needs, and organizing school-wide support for the projects. Harbor`s Advisory Program not only helps students build character, leadership skills, and educational skills, but it also reinforces critical life skills such as mindfulness, personal responsibility, and respect for differences.
- At Harbor, we embrace and celebrate the inherent goodness of childhood. We believe in the importance of providing the time, space, and resources for children to be young, while constantly evaluating what, how, and why we teach. We encourage children to grow to be self-advocating, self-aware, confident, and independent students, while still holding onto the treasures of childhood. Our supportive school environment facilitates that process. Since the school was founded more than 60 years ago, the Harbor culture has been one where everyone is respectful, creative, curious, compassionate, collaborative, and kind, allowing children to be free to be themselves and to "take their time" during the most formative years of their lives.
- Our teachers place a high value on the innate curiosity and excitement young people exude from the earliest ages while exploring the world around them. Wonder and curiosity abound at Harbor, throughout every grade and in every discipline. Our STEAM program combines the disciplines of science, technology, engineering, the arts, and math into interactive, hands-on projects that enable students to learn about their world in an authentic way. Our Mandarin and Spanish programs provide students with opportunities to learn global languages, explore other cultures, and enhance their perspectives through experiences such as community-wide Chinese New Year performances and Spanish cultural celebrations. Interactive learning experiences including upper school history trips, team-building overnight trips to Greenkill and Frost Valley retreat centers, and the Day in the Life of the Nissequogue River science trip allow children to bridge the gap between their classroom lessons and the "real world," creating an inspiring and wonder-filled learning experience.
- Perhaps one of the most outstanding qualities of a Harbor student is a strong sense of self and a confidence in one`s own unique abilities. This confidence is derived from the way students are nurtured, yet challenged, allowing them to feel safe and supported throughout their education. As a result, not only do they master the skills presented in our challenging core and co-curricular offerings, but they also learn to think creatively and work collaboratively and with self-assuredness to solve problems that come their way -- skills that have become a hallmark of an education from Harbor Country Day School.
- Harbor Country Day`s "Portrait of a Graduate" states: "Harbor graduates are fearless learners. They possess the moral and ethical foundation that prepares them to exhibit compassion and tolerance in a global community. Harbor graduates are culturally experienced and conversant in the humanities. They are reflective leaders who negotiate effectively. They are prepared to fulfill their best dreams because they view themselves as works in progress." This missive guides Harbor`s administration, sets standards for curriculum development, and illustrates the unique spirit of confidence and self-awareness that permeates the school and its students.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Albany Grades: NS-12 | 361 students
135-140 Academy Road
Albany, NY 12208
(518) 429-2300 125.3 NS-12
- Bronx Grades: PK-8 | 289 students
801 Bartholdi Street
Bronx, NY 10467
(718) 944-0958 36.9 PK-8
Our son is completing his first year at the school and it has been an amazing experience. Everyone at this school really goes above and beyond for the kids. We are looking forward to enrolling our daughter to join her big brother.One thing that really stands out about this school is when you see how the older kids interact and mentor the younger ones. The children are very respectful, they hold doors for each other and greet everyone they come into contact with. Little things like that go such a long way as these children become adults. I love how our almost 4 year old comes home and shares with us all the Spanish and Mandarin vocabulary he has learned. The school also has some great extra curricular activities for the kids.I truly love going to work every day knowing my child attends this school and that he is getting an amazing well rounded education. Thank you Harbor Country for making this a great experience for our family.
- Posted by Parent - Jack Hasso
I''m the parent of a Harbor graduate and I can't say enough about the excellent education and academic foundation my child received. Harbor Country Day is all about educating the whole child with teachers and staff who care, small classes that stimulate thought, and a community focused on children's character and leadership development. Two aspects we particularly liked were the inclusion of foreign language beginning in early grades, and the inclusive athletics program that emphasizes teamwork and good sportsmanship. I highly recommend Harbor Country Day School.
- Posted by Parent - ninev
I attended Harbor for 1st through 8th grade. When I go back to visit, Harbor still feels like home and remains a very special part of my childhood. Small classes, dedicated teachers and a family environment all contributed to a safe and happy learning environment. When I started 9th grade at prep school I was placed in advanced math and language classes. I was at least a year ahead of my classmates. The school building is a historic mansion set on a beautiful property in Head of the Harbor. This school is one of the Island's best kept secrets!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - emhic
This was our first year at Harbor Country Day School. It is a wonderful school. The teachers and staff are amazing and kind. The new head of the school is very dedicated to bring Harbor to new heights. When my husband and I where looking for a school to send our child, there where several to choose from. Once we walked into Harbor we knew this was the school. Education is very important to us, to see the type of children that have graduated from Harbor and see the type of schools they were excepted in convinced us that this is the type of environment our child needs to succeed.
- Posted by Parent - judyd
You will encounter COOP, HSPT and TACHS if you are applying to some Roman Catholic high schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.