- Founded in 1848, Blair Academy is a dynamic, coeducational boarding school in northwest New Jersey, located 65 miles from New York City.
- Amid a caring, vibrant community, 460 students pursue a superior college preparatory education and explore their passions through myriad co-curricular activities.
- Strong faculty-student relationships lead to exceptional learning and empower students to become persons of great accomplishment and character.
- Blair graduates distinguish themselves at top colleges and as leaders in their professions and communities.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||462 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||89 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Number of AP Courses||27 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus A, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese Language and Culture, Comparative Government/Politics, Computer Science, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, European History, French Language, French Literature, Latin, Microeconomics, Music Theory, Physics 1, Physics C - Electricity and Magnetism, Physics C - Mechanics, Psychology, Spanish Language, Studio Art Portfolio, US History, World History,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(business casual; no denim)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$57,900|
|Tuition Notes||Day tuition: $40,500|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$32,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Peter G. Curran|
|Admissions Associate||Edward Wenner|
|Total Sports Offered||19 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Winter Track, WrestlingAlpine Skiing, Baseball,
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
Weightlifting, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||22 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||ACTA Yearbook, Admission Ambassadors, Blair Academy Dancers, Blair Academy Singers, Blair Academy String Ensemble, Blair Breeze (newspaper), Blair International Awareness Club, Blue and White Key, Class Council, Community Service Club, Debate Club, Healthy Relationships Committee, Investment Club, Kayaking, Lit Review, Model Congress, Model United Nations, Outdoor Skills, Perspectives, Quiz Bowl, Society of Skeptics, Wind Symphony ACTA Yearbook, Class Council, Debate Club, Kayaking, Lit Review, Model Congress, Outdoor Skills, Perspectives, Quiz Bowl, Wind Symphony, Admission Ambassadors,
Blair Academy Dancers,
Blair Academy Singers,
Blair Academy String Ensemble,
Blair Breeze (newspaper),
Blair International Awareness Club,
Blue and White Key,
Community Service Club,
Healthy Relationships Committee,
Model United Nations,
Society of Skeptics,
- Founded in 1848, Blair Academy is a dynamic, coeducational boarding school that engages 460 achievement-minded students in grades nine through twelve. On our historic campus, located 65 miles from New York City in New Jersey`s northwest hills, students pursue a superior college preparatory education amid a rich, vibrant community life. Strong student-teacher relationships are at the heart of the Blair experience. Expert faculty members teach our classes to exacting standards, yet, at the same time, they truly know-and care about-our students as scholars, leaders, athletes, artists, friends and individuals. This knowledge fosters personalized learning opportunities and leads to higher academic achievement as students are continually challenged to reach their full potential.At Blair, two faculty members mentor each student as he or she explores passions and interests in and out of the classroom. We consider a student`s academic commitment his or her most important responsibility, and our "open architecture" curriculum offers core courses and innovative electives, including 52 honors, Advanced Placement and post-AP classes. The School has a robust athletics program that emphasizes teamwork, resiliency, self-discipline and sportsmanship. Students may choose from among 28 varsity and 19 JV and thirds teams in traditional high school sports, as well as golf, skiing, squash and crew. In addition, Blair boasts a fine and performing arts program of depth, breadth and diversity. Regular art exhibits and theatrical productions, a variety of instrumental and choral ensembles, and eclectic courses ranging from architecture to video studies invite students to explore and develop their creativity. A host of clubs, weekend special events and time to simply relax with friends in the dormitories round out the Blair experience and give every student myriad opportunities to discover his or her best self.In all of our offerings, Blair prepares our students for success in an increasingly complex world. Leadership education and meaningful service initiatives are infused throughout our community and curriculum, and students at every level learn and practice effective communication, team-based problem solving, ethical decision making and cross-cultural relationship building. Each is a critical skill that will not only help Blair graduates distinguish themselves at the nation`s top colleges and universities, but, more importantly, find professional and personal fulfillment by ultimately making a difference in their communities and in the world.
February 23, 2017
You probably have several reasons why you think a specific school might be a good fit for your needs and requirements. Have you considered all fifteen of these reasons?
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.