Grades: K-8 | 243 students
Founded in 1970 and located on 2.5 acres perched above the Monterey Bay, Gateway School is Santa Cruz's premier academically-challenging Progressive K-8 school with the mission to inspire children to lead lives of purpose and compassion through scholarship and citizenship.
At Gateway we believe that the purpose of education goes far beyond teaching only academics.
Gateway has long been a leader in innovative learning techniques it was the first school in Santa Cruz to establish a Life Lab, the first to build a Maker`s Space, and the first to institute a mindfulness program.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||243 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 29 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Financial aid program is available for families that qualify.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Colleen Sullivan|
|Admissions Associate||Katy Leedom|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,
Flag Football, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chess, Computer Game Design & Programming, Flute & Piano, Foreign Language, Jr. Engineering, Lego Robotics, Math Club, Student Council, Tai Chi, Yearbook Chess, Flute & Piano, Lego Robotics, Math Club, Tai Chi, Yearbook, Computer Game Design & Programming,
- Founded in 1970 and located on 2.5 acres perched above the Monterey Bay, Gateway School is Santa Cruz's premier academically-challenging Progressive K-8 school with the mission to inspire children to lead lives of purpose and compassion through scholarship and citizenship.
- At Gateway we believe that the purpose of education goes far beyond teaching only academics. On any given day, you may see our students making native California animal masks, programming quad copters in our Maker's Space, brewing tea in the Life Lab gardens, presenting skits in Spanish, parsing primary source documents about the Gold Rush, or debating the difference between the Emancipation Proclamation and the 13th Amendment. Our classrooms extend beyond the school into our community and the natural environment.
- Small class sizes ensure individual attention from teachers who know and care about each child's needs. Art, Music, Spanish, Mindfulness, Life Lab Science and our Maker's Space are integral parts of our robust curriculum. In this supportive environment, Gateway students graduate with the habits to be successful in the most competitive high schools and colleges.
- We invite you to explore our website for more information and for instructions on how to apply.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Santa CruzGrades: PK-6 | 130 students
250 California Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
AptosGrades: PK-8 | 295 students
6230 Soquel Dr
Aptos, CA 95003
Santa CruzGrades: PK-8 | 176 students
2190 Empire Grade
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
MontclairGrades: PK-12 | 1037 students
201 Valley Road
Montclair, NJ 07042
MorristownGrades: K-8 | 354 students
247 South Street
Morristown, NJ 07960