Grades: 7-12 | 318 students
- Grier School is a boarding and day school for girls in grades 7 -12, located in beautiful Central Pennsylvania.
- Our 315 students enjoy a well-rounded education in academics, the arts and athletics.
- At Grier, girls become emboldened, engaged, and poised for the future.
- Lemuel Grier, the first in our founding family, conveyed this sentiment best: "Our aim is not to stuff the mind with undigested knowledge from the Text Book, but to train its powers, so that the student may be able to think for herself." Today, the tradition to develop students` critical thinking abilities-as well as the other 21st century skills-inspires both our pedagogy and curriculum, which offers classes ranging from college preparatory to Advanced Placement (AP) and in-depth scholarship through electives and advanced offerings.
- The standards of faculty and instructors are high, as are the levels of concern and support provided to ensure that students experience success.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Girls
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||318 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||63 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||9 students|
|Number of AP Courses||21 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Computer Science Principles-A, English Literature and Composition, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, Art History, Studio Art, U.S. History, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Statistics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, European History, French Language and Culture, Music Theory, Psychology, Spanish Language and Culture, United States Government and Politics, US History, World History,|
|Average SAT score||1280|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$51,700|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$25,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jennifer Neely|
|Admissions Associate||Katie Kingera|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Equestrian, Fencing, Soccer, Tennis, VolleyballBasketball, Equestrian,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Anime, Astonomy, Book & Movie, Drum Circle, Ecology Club, Grier Giving Back, Journalism, Knitting, Math, National Honor Society, Outing Club, Triple L Anime, Astonomy, Book & Movie, Drum Circle, Ecology Club, Journalism, Knitting, Math, Outing Club, Triple L, Grier Giving Back,
National Honor Society,
- The Grier School is an independent boarding school for girls located just outside Tyrone, Pennsylvania, USA. Grier's Central Pennsylvania location is easily accessible to the nearby cities of Altoona and State College, home to Penn State University. The school's mission since its founding has been to enrich the lives of young women in the areas of academics, athletics and the arts. Toward this goal, all students are encouraged to participate actively in all aspects of school life.
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
TyroneGrades: PK-6 | 98 students
1105 Cameron Ave
Tyrone, PA 16686
WilliamsburgGrades: 2-11 | 5 students
1960 William Penn Hwy
Williamsburg, PA 16693
HuntingdonGrades: KG-11 | 30 students
9945 Emmanuel Dr
Huntingdon, PA 16652
AltoonaGrades: NS-K | 85 students
1401 12th Avenue 1st Lutheran Ch
Altoona, PA 16601
AltoonaGrades: K-12 | 149 students
1100 6th Avenue
Altoona, PA 16602
March 23, 2017
Teachers need to learn how to be Facebook savvy. Otherwise Facebook will cause them lots of problems.
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.