Grades: PK-12 | 399 students
Performing arts are a hallmark of The Ellis School program. Every girl takes part in theater and dance programs, both on stage, and in technical roles.
The 4th grade rocket launch is a highlight of the Lower School. Girls learn about engineering, ignition, and motion, and then build and launch their own rockets.
The mission of The Ellis School is to prepare, empower, and inspire each and every girl through an excellent education in an all-girls environment. We do this by combining our tradition of excellence with a focus on innovation. As individuals and as a community, we embrace chance, pursue opportunities, and seek continuous improvement
The Ellis School is Pittsburgh's only age 3 - grade 12 independent school dedicated to the superior education of girls and young women.
We continually innovate to ensure that all aspects of the Ellis experience are of the highest caliber and are tailored to help girls thrive in school and excel in life. Since 1916, girls have enrolled here to come into their own and become outstanding women.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Girls
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||399 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||69 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||10 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Bayh Sullivan '02|
|Admissions Associate||Emily Scott|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and FieldBasketball, Crew,
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
- MISSION: The mission of The Ellis School is to prepare, empower, and inspire each and every girl through an excellent education in an all-girls environment.
- VISION: Our vision is to be a leading school for girls, providing an excellent education for every student and continuing to innovate so each girl thrives in school and excels in life.
- OUR VALUES
- ALL-GIRLS EDUCATION
- The all-girls educational environment maximizes girls` intellectual, physical, emotional, and social growth. Girls are empowered to take risks, work collaboratively, ask questions, and pursue their dreams.
- BALANCE AND WELLNESS
- We seek intellectual, emotional, and physical health for every member of our community. We set priorities and pursue our desire for achievement in a balanced way.
- CITIZENSHIP AND INTEGRITY
- We work to make a difference in the world. Our relationships are collaborative and responsible, and through our interactions we demonstrate honesty, integrity, and respect.
- We pursue, support, and embrace diversity of all kinds, recognizing the collective strength derived from our individual differences.
- oyfulness and appreciation of one another are fundamental to our School community. We make time for social interaction and fun.
- INNOVATION AND EXCELLENCE
- As individuals and as a community, we embrace change, pursue new opportunities, and seek continuous improvement.
- LEADERSHIP AND INDIVIDUAL POTENTIAL
- We know and nurture every girl through her individual journey. We provide each girl with the support she needs to know herself, to pursue excellence, and to reach her potential, both as a student and as a citizen.
- OUTSTANDING ACADEMICS AND TEACHING
- Our academic program is rigorous, engaging, and forward-thinking. Our faculty promotes critical thinking and creativity, and inspires girls to reach their full academic potential.
Profile last updated: 05/10/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PittsburghGrades: PK-5 | 238 students
400 S Braddock
Pittsburgh, PA 15221
ProvidenceGrades: NS-12 | 362 students
301 Butler Ave
Providence, RI 02906
East ProvidenceGrades: 6-12 | 289 students
660 Waterman Ave
East Providence, RI 02914
MalvernGrades: 9-12 | 426 students
370 Central Ave
Malvern, PA 19355
GreensburgGrades: 9-12 | 492 students
911 Armory Dr
Greensburg, PA 15601
Some amazing teachers make it a geat school. Your daughter will really know herself by years end.
- Posted by Parent, 04/14/13