- Idyllwild Arts Academy, a close-knit, working community of students and teachers whose passion for the arts is balanced by a dedication to learning.
- Idyllwild offers a disciplined college preparatory program for grades 9-12 and post-graduates—along with world-class training in creative writing, dance, film & video, interdisciplinary arts & fashion design, classical music, jazz, songwriting, theatre, and visual arts.
- At Idyllwild, we’re here to educate the whole you—the artist and the scholar.
- Our academic curriculum provides a strong college-preparatory program, challenging you to think critically, to creatively blend your intellectual and artistic perspectives, and to discover a passion for life-long learning.
- As a result, our graduates are well prepared to enter the leading colleges and universities.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
National Association of College Admissions Counselors
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||301 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||75 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Advanced Honors Biology, Honors Acting Seminar, Honors American Literature, Honors Calculus, Honors Calculus II, Honors Counterpoint, Honors French IV, Honors French V, Honors Government & Economics, Honors Literature of Western Thought, Honors Physics, Honors Pre-Calculus, Honors Spanish IV, Honors Spanish V, Honors Technical Theatre Seminar, Honors US History,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$57,400|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Tara Sechrest|
|Admissions Associate||Jara Ruiz-Anchia|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Coffee House, GSA, Gender Equality Club, National Honors Society, Running Club, Russian Club, Spanish Club, Student Government Coffee House, GSA, Running Club, Russian Club, Spanish Club, Gender Equality Club,
National Honors Society,
- 300 students
- 26 states
- 27 countries
- Majors in Classical Music, Jazz Music, Songwriting, Dance, Musical Theatre, Acting, Theatre Design & Production, Film, Creative Writing, InterArts, Fashion Design, and Visual Arts
- $6M in Financial Aid awarded annually
Profile last updated: 05/26/2015
I am currently a theatre major and attending my first year at Idyllwild Arts. I also considered attending both Walnut Hill and Interlochen Arts Academy, and while both schools are exemplary, Idyllwild just seemed right. One of my biggest worries about attending an arts school was lack of focus on academics. However, I could not be happier with the education I am attaining from Idyllwild Arts. The difference in learning from the past schools I have attended is the focus on concepts. Instead of memorizing dates or formulas, the curriculum concentrates on understanding and comparison. Another surprising quality of Idyllwild is the supportive community. I was concerned on the level of competition present among the students of the same art form. When I arrived at Idyllwild Arts, none of my colleagues were interested in my vocal range or the monologue I was planning to use for my first audition. Members of the Idyllwild Arts were genuinely friendly, helpful, and very welcoming to all the new additions to the community. As for my art form, I have never been more challenged. Not only am I learning information about myself as an actress, but also I have learned so much about my self as a person. Idyllwild is sincerely an environment for positive self-growth. With the great diversity of students and faculty and countless opportunities, Idyllwild has given me more than I could ever ask for. I am incredibly grateful to attend this amazing school.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - delan